The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'd forgotten that they briefly removed the number, but he refers to SC as being based on CryEngine 3, when it's 3.7/3.8, so for consistency it makes sense to say Lumberyard is based on 3.8. Five is right out.

Actually he says 3.x, because it is unknown, with CIG's open development, when they stopped updating their engine. I also hate to break it to you but 3.7/3.8 is still Cryengine 3.

Last edited:
So apparently, SC is not a 3D — or even a 2D — game any more… [haha]

faezHHV.png

Last edited:
I also hate to break it to you but 3.7/3.8 is still Cryengine 3.

According to CryTek themselves, 3.7.x and 3.8.x are subversions of "CryEngine" following its temporary re-branding, not "CryEngine 3" (3.0.x to 3.5.x).

Last edited:
According to CryTek themselves, 3.7.x and 3.8.x are subversions of "CryEngine" following its temporary re-branding, not "CryEngine 3" (3.0.x to 3.5.x).

yes, and have fun having that conversation. Some times it's easier to ignore stupid naming conventions when those naming conventions just confuse the issue. It is just easier to say Cryengine 3 and move on. Also CIG didn't start with 3.7, they merged the code, so CIG did in fact start with CryEngine 3 and we don't know who much of 3.7 or 3.8 they added in.

Actually he says 3.x, because it is unknown, with CIG's open development, when they stopped updating their engine. I also hate to break it to you but 3.7/3.8 is still Cryengine 3.
That doesn't make CryEngine 4 a real thing though, which was my point.
The reason the CE version number for StarEngine is unknown is because 3.7 was the last full-version update taken, but 3.8 code has been integrated where it's been wanted. This has been openly discussed in the past.

So apparently, SC is not a 3D — or even a 2D — game any more… [haha]

Assuming CIG are referring to the volume of explorable space (and not a straight line ;)) then the dimensions of the Stanton map are somewhere in the region of:
  • Volume = 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000km3
  • Z axis = 200,000km (previously announced)
  • X & Y axis = 707,107,781km (or 4.73AU)
At these current sizes, a Star System will have a maximum radius of ~2.38AU. With the Solar System being ~50AU in radius (distance from Sol to the Kuiper Belt) it will need to be scaled down 20:1 to fit, or slightly less if Pluto is to be considered the outer-most planetary body (~39AU from Sol).

Space is no longer "big" :p

Last edited:
That doesn't make CryEngine 4 a real thing though, which was my point.
The reason the CE version number for StarEngine is unknown is because 3.7 was the last full-version update taken, but 3.8 code has been integrated where it's been wanted. This has been openly discussed in the past.

So you have problems with this single line and as such complain about all of it in general terms? Not sure anyone said it was a thing that got released. Do you have a quote?

The last version that CE3 gen was released in Dec 2015. Note that CE4 was never released publicly; instead it was folded into what became the core of CE5.

Last edited:
So you have problems with this single line and as such complain about all of it in general terms? Not sure anyone said it was a thing that got released. Do you have a quote?
The last version that CE3 gen was released in Dec 2015. Note that CE4 was never released publicly; instead it was folded into what became the core of CE5.
Did you miss all the other things I said were wrong in that post? The reference to CE4 was just the one that stood out on first reading. The stuff about there being a version 4 and it being folded into version 5, without a source, I call horsehockey given that a couple of days earlier he was saying it's based on CE5. Last I heard Lumberyard was forked at 3.8.1, but that's not a big exciting number that suits the narrative.

Did you miss all the other things I said were wrong in that post? The reference to CE4 was just the one that stood out on first reading. The stuff about there being a version 4 and it being folded into version 5, without a source, I call horsehockey given that a couple of days earlier he was saying it's based on CE5. Last I heard Lumberyard was forked at 3.8.1, but that's not a big exciting number that suits the narrative.

Is the game coming out soon and in what state. That's what most people want to hear. Fiff-faffing over an outside entity like DS getting some numbers wrong in his blog is small time garbage. You ought to be above that Ben.

So we know that CIG moved to Cryengine 3.8? Funny Tracy does not have this information.

Of the Star Engine, Tracy told us:

"So, 'Star Engine' has been bounced around. I don't know how absolutely official it is or anything like that. It's a pretty different version than what the CryEngine is; we branched quite a while ago. We haven't taken a new CryEngine version for quite some time – the 3.7 [or] 3.8 version of CryEngine, this was early last year – [is] where we branched off. We branched off entirely because it was getting really difficult to take the integrations. At some point, when you're developing your game on middleware, you're going to get to the point that pulling integrations is hard because you've customized it so much for your game. So, whatever changes you make to your underlying engine systems, when there's a fundamental change that comes in from your middleware provider, it's pretty difficult to consume that all the time.

“Then you start being selective – 'OK, well, we'll take this feature but we won't take this feature.' What you don't know right out of the gate is if there's any interdependency on it. What's going to happen? You find that out usually the hard way later on.

“We do cherry pick on occasion from our particular code base that we have, up to 3.7 or 3.8, but we've made some pretty major changes. It's been ongoing for awhile for CIG; I only came on about two-and-a-half years ago from Crytek with their engine drop versions.”

- - - Updated - - -

So you are talking about two things. What does saying Lumberyard based on 5 or 3 have to do with the line that there was an internal build of 4? Seems you are making some odd connections to complain about.

Do you have proof that Cryengine didn't have an internal build called 4? You understand that people do have different information then you.

For example you claim that it is known that CIG was on 3.8, and yet. Perhaps you should talk to Tracy, he does not even know what the last build of Cryengine CIG upgraded to and keep referencing both 3.7 and 3.8

Last edited:
Is the game coming out soon and in what state. That's what most people want to hear. Fiff-faffing over an outside entity like DS getting some numbers wrong in his blog is small time garbage. You ought to be above that Ben.
Above that?
It's like you don't know me at all. I'm all about the numbers. And if an outside entity like DS wants to be super duper wrong about a lot of technical things, then I've got the time to say he's wrong about those things.

Above that?
It's like you don't know me at all. I'm all about the numbers. And if an outside entity like DS wants to be super duper wrong about a lot of technical things, then I've got the time to say he's wrong about those things.

Except he's not talking about those numbers here he posted a link to a blog where he gets it wrong. You've chosen to pick on all that here rather than I don't know...taking the argument to the blog page or whatever.

So we know that CIG moved to Cryengine 3.8? Funny Tracy does not have this information.
Sean's an artist, he doesn't have much incentive to care about exact version numbers. Despite this, he's basically right that it's a branch of 3.7-3.8-ish, and he's talking openly about it.

So you are talking about two things. What does saying Lumberyard based on 5 or 3 have to do with the line that there was an internal build of 4? Seems you are making some odd connections to complain about.
Do you have proof that Cryengine didn't have an internal build called 4? You understand that people do have different information then you.
He says Lumberyard was based on a mythical CryEngine 4. Last week he said it was based on CryEngine 5. Sure I can't disprove that there was an internal build called 4, and Lumberyard was based on that, and one of his ever-reliable internal sources let him know all about it... but I'm sticking to Occam's Razor on that one.

For example you claim that it is known that CIG was on 3.8, and yet. Perhaps you should talk to Tracy, he does not even know what the last build of Cryengine CIG upgraded to and keep referencing both 3.7 and 3.8
We're on 3.7 with bits of 3.8. Sean's right.

- - - Updated - - -

Except he's not talking about those numbers here he posted a link to a blog where he gets it wrong. You've chosen to pick on all that here rather than I don't know...taking the argument to the blog page or whatever.
Eagleboy asked me what he had wrong. I tole him.

An engine change? Meh...just add it the pile of crap I don't give a rat's behind about while the game is severely delayed. There iswould be only one headline that is worth any attention now...Squadron 42 is Released, Download Now

Last edited:
He says Lumberyard was based on a mythical CryEngine 4. Last week he said it was based on CryEngine 5. Sure I can't disprove that there was an internal build called 4, and Lumberyard was based on that, and one of his ever-reliable internal sources let him know all about it... but I'm sticking to Occam's Razor on that one.

We're on 3.7 with bits of 3.8. Sean's right.

- - - Updated - - -

Eagleboy asked me what he had wrong. I tole him.

Do you have a quote for DS saying that lumberyard is based on Cryengine 4? Or is this another instance of you making a crazy connection.

Also Sean can't be right when he says they are up to 3.7 or 3.8, as one is required for the other, it is not an OR answer.

Edit:.

You were just complaining that DS was saying lumberyard was based on CE5 so witch is it? Or is it yet another or answer because not sure?

Last edited:
Does it even matter at this point?

We have gone from...
SC is a Cryengine game! And will save PC gaming for everybody!
SC created Starengine! The cutting edge technolegy that will realize the dream that is SC and will be a good income when we sell that engine!
SC has become a partner to Amazons Lumberjack! Everything is awesome and there will be no problems at all for the future of SC now that amazon is "backing" us!

It kinda get old you know....

Do you have a quote for DS saying that lumberyard is based on Cryengine 4?
“I can’t wait to read the part where they decide to either port to Unity5 or to Lumberyard, Amazon’s version of CryEngine4. Not to mention CryEngine5 which is more advanced/modern than CryEngine4.”
Also Sean's can't be right when he says they are up to 3.7 or 3.8, as one is required for the other, it is not an OR answer.
Yeah, so, you update fully to 3.7, then some subset of features gets pulled in from 3.8. From an artist's perspective, some stuff now works like 3.7, some stuff works like 3.8. Depending on the feature you're looking at, you're at 3.7 or 3.8.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it even matter at this point?

We have gone from...
SC is a Cryengine game! And will save PC gaming for everybody!
SC created Starengine! The cutting edge technolegy that will realize the dream that is SC and will be a good income when we sell that engine!
SC has become a partner to Amazons Lumberjack! Everything is awesome and there will be no problems at all for the future of SC now that amazon is "backing" us!

It kinda get old you know....
People who discuss Lumberyard as if it's some kind of panacea are either ill-informed or arguing with a strawman. Maybe it's just... a good tech decision with some benefits to be had. Or, hey, a bad tech decision with some benefits to be had.

Oh common, we discuss linked info here non-stop. You may not enjoy DS being clearly wrong, but discussing that is just as valid as discussing CR's .

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom