Engineers The Technetium Thread

OK ... I've checked the usual barnacle sources and as I understand it there is no known barnacle - anywhere, ever - so far discovered that spawns technetium.

I pray to Braben that this is untrue. If anyone out there knows different, you will earn the undying gratitude of mat farmers everywhere if you can tell us otherwise.

If, however, we have to go about this the old fashioned way - sob - then here's the planets I know of so far:

SystemPlanetTechnetium
Deciat20.8%
Delkar20.8%
Delkar30.8%
HIP 8024230.7%
If anyone knows of any other or better planetary sources - or reliable mission givers - or if my prayers are answered and you do know of the blessed barnacle ... please do post.

Last edited:
OK ... I've checked the usual barnacle sources and as I understand it there is no known barnacle - anywhere, ever - so far discovered that spawns technetium.

I pray to Braben that this is untrue. If anyone out there knows different, you will earn the undying gratitude of mat farmers everywhere if you can tell us otherwise.

If, however, we have to go about this the old fashioned way - sob - then here's the planets I know of so far:

SystemPlanetTechnetium
Deciat20.8%
Delkar20.8%
Delkar30.8%
HIP 8024230.7%
If anyone knows of any other or better planetary sources - or reliable mission givers - or if my prayers are answered and you do know of the blessed barnacle ... please do post.
who care ?

SystemPlanetTechnetium
Deciat20.8%
Delkar20.8%
Delkar30.8%
HIP 8024230.7%

V491 PERSEI 2 have 1.3% and 1.5G so driving's not a mess. Also that 1.5% EDDB data is not correct. There's no technetium on 15 f Leonis 11 i so trust your eyes more :D

Great responses guys, thank you. A bump from 0.8% to 1.5% is most welcome. I use EDDB all the time and yet didn't even know of this new feature - probably because I'm more of a barnie man than a buggy man ...

Pitiful though it is I have to say that I am dreading this driving expedition. I probably need to get about 15 of the darn things, so 5 drops.

Does anyone know, very very roughly, what sort of spawn per hour we're looking at?

(Eg for each % material, how long it typically takes to find one drop of that material?)

I have to say that I'm still debating whether to just try and find a friendly mission board and refresh it to get 15 technetium missions ... the dilemmas of the min/maxer ...

Great responses guys, thank you. A bump from 0.8% to 1.5% is most welcome. I use EDDB all the time and yet didn't even know of this new feature - probably because I'm more of a barnie man than a buggy man ...

Pitiful though it is I have to say that I am dreading this driving expedition. I probably need to get about 15 of the darn things, so 5 drops.

Does anyone know, very very roughly, what sort of spawn per hour we're looking at?

(Eg for each % material, how long it typically takes to find one drop of that material?)

I have to say that I'm still debating whether to just try and find a friendly mission board and refresh it to get 15 technetium missions ... the dilemmas of the min/maxer ...

Uh, difficult. If you are an experienced prospector, and drive like mad to find those pesky metallic meteorites, you can get around 5-10/hour. But it's pure RNG: RNG for the metallic meteorite spawns, and then RNG for what's inside.
If you just need a handful, the mission board is more reliable. If you want 20+ for the 'perfect roll', you will fare better on planets.

Well RNG is RNG. Just got 3 lucky spawns of metallic meteorites right after loading the game. 2 of them with technetium. 5 mins later got one more. And yesterday completely nothing. But tbh yesterday was more of fighter clown fiesta in wiiiiiiiiiing than real prospecting :D

Ive only seen a couple on the mission boards for basic fetch and carry stuff at allied high tech. Then i realised that i had no use for it...

I found a bunch on a 0.8% planet while looking for other elements.

My tactic is to land in the flattest place possible, pick a compass point and drive - only looking at 1 and 2 line wave scanner sources. 3-4 of hours and I had enough mats (ended up with 18 Cadmium, 33 Molybdenium, 33 Selenium, 15 Technetium, 30+ Vandium, 30+ Selenium). More than enough to do a bunch of upgrades.

Good luck!

Postscript:- I've now got 21 technetium (7 drops) in about 2 hours.

I combined this ...

V491 PERSEI 2 have 1.3% and 1.5G so driving's not a mess.

... with this ...

My tactic is to land in the flattest place possible, pick a compass point and drive - only looking at 1 and 2 line wave scanner sources.

... and RNGeezus smiled (this time). Thanks all, much rep has been spread, and I hope this thread is of use to fellow sufferers.

Postscript:- I've now got 21 technetium (7 drops) in about 2 hours.

I combined this ...

... with this ...

... and RNGeezus smiled (this time). Thanks all, much rep has been spread, and I hope this thread is of use to fellow sufferers.

Thanks! Collected 3x3 Technetium in 20 minutes, also 7x3 Tungsten which I also needed.

I got mine prospecting around Tod's base on Trus Madi/Wolf 397.

Having other CMDRs around at the base improves the spawn rate for rocks/mats.

Folks I happened to stumble on a planet today that has a huge number of Technetium drops. I wasn't actually looking for any materials at the time I just landed on the planet out of boredom and noticed an unusual high number of Technetium drops.

I looked it up on Inara and noticed it was logged as very rare so I thought what the hell I'll stock up on a few. So an hour and a half later I had 40 or so.

The planet is Electra A1. It also drops a hell of a lot of Mercury and a decent amount of Arsenic.

The other advantage of the planet is that it's 0.75G and has a lot of flat areas so you can belt along on the SRV which speeds up the prospecting.

Anyway hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be from the days of looking for Polonium last year.

Last edited:
I get my Technetium from Tetrian

The first 2 landable planets there have 1.2 and 1.3% Technetium respectively. I can usually find a few chunks there quite quickly

EDIT: I'm guessing someone wants rapid fire weapons :)

Last edited:
Folks I happened to stumble on a planet today that has a huge number of Technetium drops. I wasn't actually looking for any materials at the time I just landed on the planet out of boredom and noticed an unusual high number of Technetium drops.

I looked it up on Inara and noticed it was logged as very rare so I thought what the hell I'll stock up on a few. So an hour and a half later I had 40 or so.

The planet is Electra A1. It also drops a hell of a lot of Mercury and a decent amount of Arsenic.

The other advantage of the planet is that it's 0.75G and has a lot of flat areas so you can belt along on the SRV which speeds up the prospecting.

Anyway hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be from the days of looking for Polonium last year.

eddb.io agrees with you!

Electra 1 Electra 1.5% 363 ls 439.12 ly

Top Bottom