Ships The Viper MKIV Owners Club.

I have another V4 set up as just a MP and I love it too. Great for planet landings and room still for a little cargo and a decent scoop. Decent jump range and I still feel like I can handle most fights better than I can in another ship.

Thanks Madrax. I see you went with all HRPs HD/Deep Plating to get those raw numbers. They main differences between our builds is that I run a C3 MRP, a C2 Guardian Shield booster and a C1 FSD interdictor. Not sure about your Point Defense instead of a shield booster though.

I bet it is funny when someone sees your shield drop quickly and think "I have him now" only to have 3000 HPs of armor to chew through. I had to do something about my modules getting wrecked though and the small GSB almost doubles my shiels MJs.

I bet it is funny when someone sees your shield drop quickly and think "I have him now" only to have 3000 HPs of armor to chew through. I had to do something about my modules getting wrecked though and the small GSB almost doubles my shiels MJs.

To counter these heavy shield builds is easy as pie IMHO. (Tried this out and it works nicely)

Arm yourself with Seekers missiles (Packhounds even better as the have a bigger splash area of damage) Take shileds down, usually easy with these builds. Target weapons with missiles/packhounds. With 5 or 6 PH salvo's opponent can kiss goodbye to his/her weapons, from there on in they will wake out or die!

To counter these heavy shield builds is easy as pie IMHO. (Tried this out and it works nicely)

Arm yourself with Seekers missiles (Packhounds even better as the have a bigger splash area of damage) Take shileds down, usually easy with these builds. Target weapons with missiles/packhounds. With 5 or 6 PH salvo's opponent can kiss goodbye to his/her weapons, from there on in they will wake out or die!

Yeah the Viper is quite susceptible to splash damage. But if someone has packhounds you can normally outrun them enough that the PD takes most of them out or even completely.
That build is a total one shot pony - pure heavy combat. I love to see your build Darkslayer as I do like a good multirole setup for general hijinx

Yeah the Viper is quite susceptible to splash damage. But if someone has packhounds you can normally outrun them enough that the PD takes most of them out or even completely.
That build is a total one shot pony - pure heavy combat. I love to see your build Darkslayer as I do like a good multirole setup for general hijinx

Yes i agree, but counter you point that PD will take out missiles, maybe single seekers, but Packhounds?? I have used this weapon load out on my Chief ....Weapon of choice to take down shileds quickly, MC with Corrosive, twin Packhounds. I can strip the weapons of a medium ship where the weps are not next to each other very quickly. In smaller ships with only one PD and weps all nice and close together, the PH's work very well indeed.

Of course it all depends on the Cmdr you are facing the really really good PvP'ers can easily get me down to a point in hull, that a high wake is the better option, before i can get their weps destroyed. But hey Practice makes perfect, and IMHO PH's are always a part of my PvE or PvP build, i love them to bits.

Fly safe, and if you fancy a 1v1 to test this out down to say 20% hull, (Or weps destroyed ;) ) then in-game friend me and we can get it on!

Madrax. Here is my multi role build. Less armor, more shields, vehicle hangar, scoop, both type of scanners. Weps are whatever you like.
https://s.orbis.zone/m4z

WaspO. What is your in game name? I would like a 1v1 although I know packhounds will wreck me. I really dont encounter them often so dont build to defend them.

Madrax. Here is my multi role build. Less armor, more shields, vehicle hangar, scoop, both type of scanners. Weps are whatever you like.
https://s.orbis.zone/m4z

WaspO. What is your in game name? I would like a 1v1 although I know packhounds will wreck me. I really dont encounter them often so dont build to defend them.

same as forum name, i have nothing to hide :)

Unless Emmisive (Actually one of the most unbalanced Exp' effects IMO) is in play, I reckon the MKIV suits a silent runner as well as the DBS, I mean yeah it does'nt have the gnarly heat capacity the DBS gets but it can stay under for a decent enough time to make it worthwhile and it's a hell of a lot tougher.

Thats before getting to its absolutely OBSCENE lateral thrust capabilities in FA off.

I tried tanking the Viper but it was really pointless without equal use of MRP's, without them a few jousts with stoopid Cobra was eliminating me from continuing the fight :/ Whats the point of having 3000 points or hull point if your modules are like made glass. So I slapped two size 3xMRP's for good measure and it was waay better.
Yeah, medium hardpoints are underneath so they are naturally protected, but front mounts are extremely exposed to damage. So my advice if you often fight without a shield protection - go sturdy on weapons or at least slap double braced mod for some protection.

Here is my current thinking regarding Viper MK4. A more balanced approach with better shielding, 400m/s in cruise and 500m/s in boost. Not bad overall.

Things like shield gen, weapons and FSD and all mods on them are up to you. I often do a lot of changes to these parts - especially weapons trying to get the best working configuration. Some may ask - beam turret on Viper Mk4? This ship isn't really agile (main weakness of the ship:/) and frontal turret gives great firing angle on top and rear of the ship delivering constant damage to opponent. I also have dispersal field on cannon which works like a chaff and frag cannon with screening shell to have some protection against incoming missiles. But like I said hardpoint loadout depending on situation - is up to you.

https://s.orbis.zone/m7a

PS. Some time ago I had a few friendly pvp sparring with my buddy. His Mk4 had C1 long range turreted cannon (2000 m/s of shot speed) with dispersal field and this thing was always scoring a hit! Gimbals on my Viper were moving like crazy all the time and I had to fight without having him on my locked in. I lost twice to his gimball confusing hi speed cannon. Think about such solution on your ships ;)

Last edited:
I tried tanking the Viper but it was really pointless without equal use of MRP's, without them a few jousts with stoopid Cobra was eliminating me from continuing the fight :/ Whats the point of having 3000 points or hull point if your modules are like made glass. So I slapped two size 3xMRP's for good measure and it was waay better.
Yeah, medium hardpoints are underneath so they are naturally protected, but front mounts are extremely exposed to damage. So my advice if you often fight without a shield protection - go sturdy on weapons or at least slap double braced mod for some protection.

Here is my current thinking regarding Viper MK4. A more balanced approach with better shielding, 400m/s in cruise and 500m/s in boost. Not bad overall.

Things like shield gen, weapons and FSD and all mods on them are up to you. I often do a lot of changes to these parts - especially weapons trying to get the best working configuration. Some may ask - beam turret on Viper Mk4? This ship isn't really agile (main weakness of the ship:/) and frontal turret gives great firing angle on top and rear of the ship delivering constant damage to opponent. I also have dispersal field on cannon which works like a chaff and frag cannon with screening shell to have some protection against incoming missiles. But like I said hardpoint loadout depending on situation - is up to you.

https://s.orbis.zone/m7a

PS. Some time ago a had a few friendly pvp sparring with my buddy. His Mk4 had C1 long range turreted cannon (2000 m/s of shot speed) with dispersal field and this thing was always scoring a hit! Gimbals on my Viper were moving like crazy all the time and I had to fight without having him on my lock. I lost twice to his gimball confusing hi speed cannon. Think about such solution on your ships ;)

Well your build is certainly different than mine. I did shield tank one but used a 4B SCB. I am not sure about your low thermal resists though and no chaff. I like using rails on the C1s to make the most out of those and punch up at harded targets. I find they are not as fragile as other weps too. Cool build though. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I was out last night hunting around my local unfriendly Haz and did notices the two small weapons getting wasted way to quickly. Having that much hull/armour is nice but on such a small ship I've swapped two of the smaller HRP's for MRP and it balances out very nicely now. It was the two smalls only though. the two lower mediums never were damaged too much at all.

In regards to the packhounds I guess it would be very situational I suppose. They only have a speed of 600m/s. My heavy build with DD5+drag goes 511m/s once my shield go down and I suspect a PH or seeker attack I go full pip to Eng and boost away. That gives a LOT of time for PD to do it's thing. But again it boils down to the CMDR more than anything else. which is good IMO as it would be boring if X ship was a guaranteed win v Y ship wouldn't it :)

Top Bottom