Ships The Viper MKIV Owners Club.

Small cannon with dispersal = no need for chaff. :)

missiles etc are very situational tbf

I'm finding my goto utils for fighting are now KWS and HS.

Update: I added reactive armor and replaced the small pulses with railguns. I did heavy mount for a 20% heat drop and added the fire rate mod (I was out of mats for SP). Tried it out at RES and it's much better. Didn't go full combat as I still have 2 c4 cargo racks, but I'll try it like this for a while. Pretty fun ship now.

Update: I added reactive armor and replaced the small pulses with railguns. I did heavy mount for a 20% heat drop and added the fire rate mod (I was out of mats for SP). Tried it out at RES and it's much better. Didn't go full combat as I still have 2 c4 cargo racks, but I'll try it like this for a while. Pretty fun ship now.

Nothing beats those rails in a small slot. I am glad they dont make big ones. Good on the reactive. Even up those resistances.

Heck yeah man!

Also good having one SR Feedback cas' and one SR Super pen, coupled with an OC force shell cannon, and an OC TlB PA :D
189.5 DPS

So after further testing of SRB Rails I have concluded that although I really enjoy that burst damage, it doesn't compare to being able to reach out and poke somebody hard with LR rails at 2.5 km. Probably switching back. I did kill a CMDRs Vulture in a 1 v 1 today. He was running double frags. Not a chance once I started maintaining my distance. The LR rails would have even been worse for him.

Last edited:
My default mod for rails is often LR. Lasers deffo on the long range but I have seen some focused build that look interesting.

Hello guys, I'm using a V4 and want to hunt some higher paying pirate lord contracts but I wanna know if I should fully upgrade my thrusters and shields before attempting that.

And would like to learn your gun preferences.

I'm planning to use smaller gimballed lasers and medium multis.

Hello guys, I'm using a V4 and want to hunt some higher paying pirate lord contracts but I wanna know if I should fully upgrade my thrusters and shields before attempting that.

Guns are valid choice.

A
Quick answer to upgrade questions: yes... yes you should. Unless you’re an extremely experienced flyer.
It’s basically a quality of life thing.

Viper 4 is a great ship, I sometimes miss it. Best looking in the game.
Unfortunately too small distributors for my taste..

I would highly recommend putting in the time with Archy to get his Cytoscramblers, for anyone into small ship combat. Nothing else can come close to them for squeezing as much damage out of a small hard point.

Two of them engineered (I do short range, they are a short range weapon to begin with due to jitter) can burn through a big ship's shields ignoring SCBs.

I use 2 Cytos, a corrosive MC & a medium rail for my large ship killer MK4.

Before Cytos I used 2 small rails a medium mc and medium beam.

Better thrusters always help, you aren't going to get crazy shield value, more still helps, but avoiding damage is the key (thrusters).

Upgraded/modded thrusters should be your first priority. Small ships are particularly limited in regards to the maximum hitpoint pool that they can achieve. Instead of tanking incoming fire, use the Viper IV's excellent acceleration and lateral thrusters to avoid the incoming fire.

For a shield, your distro isn't big enough to reliably support a size 4 bi-weave without engineering. Your sys capacitor WILL drain completely while trying to get your shields back up. However, you should have no such limitations for a size 3 bi-weave or a 4A shield.

For guns, I use a pair of small fixed beams and a pair of medium gimballed multis. Like Vedmo said, Cytos are a good option for short range shield melting. That said, just about any weapon outside of the mining lance and caustic missiles can work well if you know what you are doing. Railguns can work for module sniping, cannons can work for module nuking, frags can work for insane potential DPS, reverb torps can work well for assassination missions, reverb mine bombing is viable for PvP, you name it. It's really hard to recommend just one weapon setup. Your best bet would be to find a setup that works well with your flying style. If you like to get in close, consider going with Cytos and frags. If you like to stay at range, maybe get a few long range railguns. It's up to you on what role you want to build the ship for and how you like to fly it.

Top Bottom