The Vive discussion Thread

I don't have that problem, but it sounds like maybe it has to do with interleaving. Make sure the "Allow interleaved reprojection" is turned OFF in the SteamVR settings under Performance. Allow asychronous reprojection should be ON.

hi, thanks for the help...im thinking its my CPU which is messing with it...I will need to try other games that i have in VR to make sure though. CPU is an AMD FX-8370...which shouldnt be an issue to be honest..(steamvr performance test said it was higher than needed) and GPU is an MSI Radeon R9 390x 8gb (which, again is fine in everything)

hi, thanks for the help...im thinking its my CPU which is messing with it...I will need to try other games that i have in VR to make sure though. CPU is an AMD FX-8370...which shouldnt be an issue to be honest..(steamvr performance test said it was higher than needed) and GPU is an MSI Radeon R9 390x 8gb (which, again is fine in everything)

I would think that processor would be fine, but I'm not good at evaluating the AMD chips. Passmark (for what it's worth) gives your chip a score of 9000. I play with an older Intel chip, the 3570K, which only gets a score of 7151 at 3.4GHz (I'm O.C.ing to ~4.1), and while I think I'm CPU bottlenecked occasionally, performance is generally good with my GTX 1070. Maybe try tweaking your in-game supersampling/quality settings to see if the menu tearing goes away?

Last edited:
I would think that processor would be fine, but I'm not good at evaluating the AMD chips. Passmark (for what it's worth) gives your chip a score of 9000. I play with an older Intel chip, the 3570K, which only gets a score of 7151 at 3.4GHz (I'm O.C.ing to ~4.1), and while I think I'm CPU bottlenecked occasionally, performance is generally good with my GTX 1070. Maybe try tweaking your in-game supersampling/quality settings to see if the menu tearing goes away?

hmm, i'll try that.

I just tried The Solus Project and had the same issie. I think maybe uninstalling everythign related to the vive and starting over COULD possibly fix it. Thanks for the help.

hmm, i read that a lot of ASUS programs (that come with the Motherboard) could interfere with vive operations in some way. My MB is a 970 PRO GAMING/AURA, if that helps any.
Honestly, so i dont clutter this thread at all with my tech problems, i should post this on the vive steam discussion.

Edit: Turning off async and turning on interleaved, as well as dropping SS down to 0.6 helped out a lot...at least when sitting in the hangar of a station, will need to do more testing.

Last edited:
hmm, i'll try that.

I just tried The Solus Project and had the same issie. I think maybe uninstalling everythign related to the vive and starting over COULD possibly fix it. Thanks for the help.

hmm, i read that a lot of ASUS programs (that come with the Motherboard) could interfere with vive operations in some way. My MB is a 970 PRO GAMING/AURA, if that helps any.
Honestly, so i dont clutter this thread at all with my tech problems, i should post this on the vive steam discussion.

Edit: Turning off async and turning on interleaved, as well as dropping SS down to 0.6 helped out a lot...at least when sitting in the hangar of a station, will need to do more testing.

If you're still having issues, take a look at this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6g9whl/a_few_troubleshooting_tips_for_smooth_sailing/

Most comprehensive troubleshooting guide I've found. I'd start with a graphics driver re-install. Might even consider trying to roll back a version. I've had more issues than usual with graphics drivers in VR.

but damn the amount you see is limited compared to monitors.

I have a Vive, I can see 360 degrees around me, above me, under me, I'm 'in' the cockpit !!
Can't do that with a monitor, did you have a fight already?

Don't forget to use your neck like in real life :)

Got my Vive, but damn the amount you see is limited compared to monitors.

Looks like Vive for casual play and Monitor for PvP.

I assume you mean resolution-wise, since as dree said, you actually see quite a bit more with the Vive because of the ability to look around. You may find otherwise, but I've found my situational awareness when dogfighting is much better in VR than with a monitor (even using a TrackIR), but I've never PvP'ed, so perhaps the additional resolution you get with a monitor trumps the improved situational awareness.

Does anyone use Deluxe Audio Headstrap here ?

Yeah, I like it much better than the standard strap. The fit (for my head at least) is much snugger and it doesn't slip or require fiddly adjustments. The sound quality seems decent. It's great not to have to mess with the ear buds (not to mention the fact that my ear buds stopped working, and I couldn't get Vive to respond to messages about their failure). I'm happy with the strap and to me it was well worth the cost.

but HMD still pressing face or forces are targeted at top and back of your head ? Can you play longer with new strap ?

Don't think it really relieves the pressure on my face (depends upon how much I tighten it, I suppose), but it does distribute the forces on my head much better. I'm not sure if it increased the amount of time I can play...maybe a little. 2-3 hours is pretty much my max. I bought the deluxe strap when it first came on the market, so I don't remember the original one all that well. I just remember that I was not happy with the old strap at all, and the new one seemed significantly more comfortable. Hope that helps.

Does anyone use Deluxe Audio Headstrap here ?

I have had it for 3 or 4 months now and I find it a lot better than the old strap, although it can still be uncomfortable at times, mainly from the front top pushing too hard into my forhead. Easing the screw off a little at the back usually cures that.

It is definitely more stable / secure on your head, which is useful if you are standing up and moving around a lot.

The integrated headphones are good and save you having to remember to take your headphones off before you take the Vive off. The headset quality is also fine and you can choose to have them against your ears or slightly off, e.g. if you are talking to someone in the room with you.

Right... so got a Vive and deluxe head strap. Now I want to ditch work and stay at home playing. Omg being inside my ships is awesome! Little bit of motion sickness but that’s already getting better quick. Loving it!

Right... so got a Vive and deluxe head strap. Now I want to ditch work and stay at home playing. Omg being inside my ships is awesome! Little bit of motion sickness but that’s already getting better quick. Loving it!

Easy with the motion sickness. It's normal at start and should subside entirely given time. Elite is probably not the best to start with VR, make frequent breaks. The worst thing you can do is try to "stomach the sickness anyway". As it is an ages old atawism, your brain can "freak out" and you will feel sick just by smelling the headset :) This is because brain "sees" that the world is moving but the inner ear tells it it's stationary, so subconscious is making an assumption that you ate some poisonous shrooms and you need to puke them out :D. If you feel uneasy take a break and resume after. There are many free "experiences" on the Vive, most notable is Valve's "The Lab". Get accustomed to VR there and it will get better with time.

Easy with the motion sickness. It's normal at start and should subside entirely given time. Elite is probably not the best to start with VR, make frequent breaks. The worst thing you can do is try to "stomach the sickness anyway". As it is an ages old atawism, your brain can "freak out" and you will feel sick just by smelling the headset :) This is because brain "sees" that the world is moving but the inner ear tells it it's stationary, so subconscious is making an assumption that you ate some poisonous shrooms and you need to puke them out :D. If you feel uneasy take a break and resume after. There are many free "experiences" on the Vive, most notable is Valve's "The Lab". Get accustomed to VR there and it will get better with time.

That is probably one of the best mods I found for Vive so far, apart from the Gear VR Lens swap which I also did.

Yeah I took that advise. No issues with motion sickness now. Turns out riding around in the SRV is something I really enjoy. Then get out and stand on alien planets.

Top Bottom