The Vive discussion Thread

Right... so got a Vive and deluxe head strap. Now I want to ditch work and stay at home playing. Omg being inside my ships is awesome! Little bit of motion sickness but that’s already getting better quick. Loving it!

Same, brain is like what are the eyes talking about, the rest of the body says we're not moving. I was doing fine until I dropped down low on the planet and started running some canyons. Was like whoa, had to slow it down...THEN, i landed and dropped the SRV. On that first at speed turn, my stomach dared me to make another one. I slowed down real quick LOL

Last edited:
Old thread, I know, but seems the best place to post, so here I am...Is anyone using a Vive Pro with a GTX 1070? I've been playing ED with a standard Vive for three years or so, and it's been working well with my GTX 1070. I can't drive it on the highest settings, but it looks pretty good for what it is. I'd like to upgrade to the Vive Pro, particularly since Amazon has it on sale for $200 off (though it's still overpriced, IMO), but I don't want to spring for both a new graphics card and a new headset both at this time. So, I'm wondering how my 1070 will handle the increased resolution, until I can upgrade to a 2070 or 2080. TIA!

You might ask CylonSurfer over at the Valve Index thread what does he think of Vive Pro w/lens mod vs Valve Index (he has both). And you can get standalone Index hmd for far far less than a Vive pro, because you can use the existing Vive 1.0 lighthouses. I did that with mine and can confirm they are working perfectly.

As for 1070 - IDK, really, but it was pretty good at running the Vive. You will appreciate the resolution bump and clarity bump for sure, not to mention the off-ear audio. As for the controllers, they are a bit overhyped and currently have a stick flaw. Advice: go for standalone index HMD, it should be $499 I believe? As for graphics card, shockingly the new Navi Radeon 5700XT is a pretty sweet price to performance ratio at the moment, it's close to 1080Ti in performance. I didn't compare directly to super cards, but still taking the money you SAVED on Vive pro ;-) you can have both IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks StarLightPL. Unfortunately, as much as I like the looks of the Valve gear, I cut the cord on my Vive last December, and I don't think I could go back to being tethered (a cord isn't so bad for ED where I'm sitting down, but it's not so great for room-scale games). So, at this point, it's the Vive Pro (plus $60 wireless mounting kit 😡) or stay with my existing headset. I'll check out the Radeon card though, and I do plan to upgrade my controllers to the Valve Index in the near future!

I don't think I could go back to being tethered

SweViver was saying the same thing ;-) and then he discovered wide-fov Pimax ;-) Suddenly the tether wasn't an issue anymore :D But yeah if you already invested in wireless, then it's not a logical way to take a "step back". I can't say much about Vive pro image because I never seen one in person, but like said the Index thread has a few people who do have them and can compare. Dr. Kaiiii doesn't like the index for example. I love the clarity on this thing and the fact that I can use my eyes to look around, not my head. Vertical FOV is nothing to sneeze at, too, horizontal FOV is an upgrade but not groundbreaking like Pimax (but Pimax also has steep hardware requirements).

As for the controllers, like said wait a bit till Valve sorts their own poo, the thumbstick issue might be overblown, but that's not something you would expect from a 308€ controllers. I mean they are refreshing, and a massive upgrade over viwands, but compared to oculus touch for example, it's only a slight bump in QoL. Finger tracking feature, although cool, isn't that much useful. The most appealing thing is the hand attachment method. Playing beat saber with these babies is bliss. They would be perfect if not for the dreaded el cheapo joystick they put on them.

As for gfx cards, consider also nvidia's super, like mentioned. I'm on GTX 1080Ti so I am not following them closely (waiting for the 7nm RTX launch somewhere in the future). But from what I read the new Navi Radeon 5700XT is pretty solid (and relatively cheap) alternative to Nvidia, at last. And it's completely overshadowed by new Ryzen launch, sadly.

Have fun with your future VR headset, whatever you might end up with. Hmmm... how much was Rift S again? :D It has inside out tracking and you can sell your Vive setup :p

Since the last update, the 'lock camera to horizon' option seems to have vanished. I relied on that to quell nausea when driving the SRV. Does anyone know what happened?

I have Aorus GTX 1080Ti water cooled, i7 6700k clocked to 4.6GHz, 16Gb 3000MHz RAM, 128 SSD, using HTC Vive + wireless adaptor and still FPS crap in stations/other locations. Grrr sure it must be something with frontier every other game I play no issues.

I gave up trying to optimize my vive on a 1080 using edprofiler and just enabled the 'Vr High' Profile in game. Seems the screen door affect isn't going away. The best thing that has helped me is the HUD color. I've found the top option on the no2o thread (olive green, orange/red) to be the best for text readability.

Hello, seeking advice.

I've always planned to get VR at some point and being stuck at home seems like a good excuse. My system is i7-8700K (6-core) @ 3.70 GHz and GTX1080ti.

Looking at the HTC Vive Pro.

First basic question - I assume what I have will run it, but would I get a significant improvement with a GTX2080?

Second basic question - do I need the headset alone, the Starter Kit or the full kit with base station sensors?

Third basic question - anything better available now?

Possibly unanswerable question - is there a new-generation system on the near horizon, or should I jump now?

thanks

Last edited:
Hello, seeking advice.

I've always planned to get VR at some point and being stuck at home seems like a good excuse. My system is i7-8700K (6-core) @ 3.70 GHz and GTX1080ti.

Looking at the HTC Vive Pro.

First basic question - I assume what I have will run it, but would I get a significant improvement with a GTX2080?

Second basic question - do I need the headset alone, the Starter Kit or the full kit with base station sensors?

Third basic question - anything better available now?

Possibly unanswerable question - is there a new-generation system on the near horizon, or should I jump now?

thanks
HTC Vive Pro used the be the best available, it's v.expensive compared to what's out there now.

1st q: Not according to reviews with fps comparison between the 2. Whether it's worth the upgrade cost is your call. From others posting on here the 2080ti is a reasonable upgrade but also a huge hit to the wallet. I use a 1080ti with the Reverb, most things are at Ultra with reprojection used in busy areas like inside stations

2nd q: The full kit. The Vive Pro relies on the base stations to provide tracking as does the Valve Index

3rd q:
  • Valve Index - same res as Vive Pro, much higher screen refresh Hz (if you want it), very well reviewed and much cheaper for the full kit, base station tracking is superior to inside out, 'knuckles' controllers which are lovely to use
  • HTC Reverb using Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) - highest res of current consumer headsets (and yes it makes a difference, I have one), inside out tracking so doesn't need base stations and therefore cheaper (inside out works best when seated, the tracking of controllers mixed when standing) , controllers are functional but not that ergonomic to hold,
  • If a v.wide FoV is your thing get a PIMAX but they have a mixed reputation, or XTAL but that costs thousands

No info I'm aware of on if/when the next gen is coming, and in tech there's always something better over the horizon. For me the only thing I would upgrade the Reverb for is a wider FoV, otherwise the resolution is crystal clear for my needs.

Edit: have a search through the VR part of the forum, lots of thoughts on the Index and Reverb

Edit2: had a quick look around cause I was curious. The Pimax 8KX seems to be the next step. Comparison vid with Vive Pro, Reverb and some of the Pimax headsets including the 8KX:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMXS5WXb44

Last edited:
I wouldn't get Vive pro, in fact I wouldn't get into anything HTC related. As for your system specs you're more than fine with 1080Ti. Elite will always drop fps in stations even on crazy setups, it's an engine thing. Also I wouldn't get the nvidia card now, because word on the street was (before the pandemic) that they want to release 30x0 7nm process GPUs in the summer, and they will probably tank the price of 20x0 cards hard. Of course it's not clear now if they will do it and how much it is going to cost in the end.

Valve Index if you have got the cash, one thing to note it's LCD so blacks aren't great. but they weren't great on htc vive og either and that too had an oled display. Other than that Index has glare/godrays. But it also has I think the biggest sharp vision area on the market, no distortions and decent FOV. You can look by turning your eyes, not your whole head.

If you're more of a sim guy (no roomscale) then you can get hp reverb, but beware it doesn't have IPD regulation. Same for Rift S. Something to keep in mind. But the res in Reverb is something best in class, however the sharp vision area is supposedly much smaller (so you need to look straight).

I've used OG Vive, Pimax 5k+, Rift CV1, Oculus Quest, Samsung Odyssey+ and now have a Valve Index. I love it - it's the python of headsets. Not "biggest baddest res", but a great all-rounder with strong sides like the knuckles controllers, special lenses which give you aforementioned clarity, absolutely best in class audio (BMR off-ear speakers) and it fits like a glove. Very comfortable to use for prolonged periods of time.

The one interesting thing is Oculus Quest. It's supposedly much weaker than its older brothers, but it's completely portable and doesn't need a computer. It has inside-out tracking which allows it to be used almost everywhere. So you can take it with you on a trip. It also features a link cable and streaming steamvr to headset which allows it to be used with steamvr games. The downsides are 72Hz refresh rate and inside-out tracking. But, you can play Beat Saber 360 mode and not worry about any cables getting in your way :cool:

To sum it up:
Index as an all-rounder, best in class audio
Oculus Quest as budget/portable VR console option
HP Reverb if resolution is more important than roomscale (e.g. DCS and carrier landings [ball] / reading instruments in cockpit etc.)

Thanks to the post by @Sgurr above I spent a few days looking at at the Pimax 8K X, of which I had not previously heard. Encouraged by the fact that their own comparison video, and one of the third party reviews I read, both specifically mentioned Elite Dangerous, I have now placed a pre-order. Time will tell how dumb an idea that was.

When will I ever learn not to be an early adopter!

Last edited:
If you already are one, that's who you are and you won't change it, speaking from experience ;-)

I missed pimax's kickstarter, if I didn't I'd have one now - probably 5k+. The FOV's nice, but the distortions are not, I wonder if it's the same with these new shiny models. Not that it's a deal breaker, just something to get used to, like glare in Index. I also think that we're on the verge of Gen2 and we will get a really good hmd in a year or two. Reverb resolution + better sweetspot + 150 FOV and I'm sold. Eye tracking a plus. Oh, and it would be great if handtracking caught on. Currently Oculus Quest experiments with that, I'd LOVE to be able to flip the switches in my DCS' F/A-18C by hand, not using a mouse or controller. I think every current headset has two cams now allowing it to implement hand tracking.

Thanks to the post by @Sgurr above I spent a few days looking at at the Pimax 8K X, of which I had not previously heard. Encouraged by the fact that their own comparison video, and one of the third party reviews I read, both specifically mentioned Elite Dangerous, I have now placed a pre-order. Time will tell how dumb an idea that was.

Yup, early adopter here too, now trying to come up with an excuse to upgrade from Oculus DK2... 😂

Top Bottom