The VR Dashboard "V" is now in Open Beta!

Vive owners, try VR desktop display portal, works like a charm.
Google it, for some reason i cant put a link with mobile.

This is awesome! Was easy to get working and intuitive controls with xbox controller, very nice. Buut one question, is it possible to change aspect ratio of the virtual screen?

Is there a changelog somewhere? I couldn't find one on the site. I tried this a while back, but as the keyboard doesn't work it's murder slowly typing with a virtual keyboard and X-box controller. I'd like to follow the changes to see when custom inputs and such are added, but don't see a log anywhere.

You should make an option on your website to subscribe for information about Vive support. I have a Vive, and was looking for something like that, but if the support dosn't come relatively soon i might forget about it, and later use some other software. Do a simple mailing list, and inform people when You add Vive support, you'll gain some users immediately.

I've continued to have problems making HelloV work on my system. Injection works as I see the O and time/FPS up top but things go wrong from there. There are two main issues.

1: When I focus on the dot and open the overlay the entire view in my headset gets offset at about a 45 degree angle. Meaning I'm facing straight ahead but my view is now turned. What's worse is when this happens the button I have bound to recenter my view no longer works, in fact I lose all interaction/control with Elite. I play with a Warthog HOTAS and have my keyboard in my lap (when I might need it other was it's on a shelf).

2: Once the V environment is opened I lose all control of Elite and can only do a few minor things in V such as selecting Bookmarks (the left icon of the two, can't recall the names of them right now). Once I hit enter here a square window opens where I assume the browser should be. I can use the SHIFT key to move the placement of that window around but it is always just an outline with nothing inside.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled V several times with the same results. I'm wondering if it's some kind of keybinding issue. Due to my rather extensive setup of HOTAS and USB Button Boxes I have 12 gaming based USB devices with Elite using throttle, stick, pedals, button box, steering wheel and handbrake. These are all used in game by either custom bindings or using the app JoyToKey (it allows you to take joystick/game-device input and turn those into some kind of output - generally keypresses).

I'm thinking there might be a conflict with the hotkeys that are being sent somehow with/from V. Could that be? Is there a list of what those key presses are? Any other thoughts?

A good friend has this working with his Rift and his X52 Pro so I know it can work. The main differences are JoyToKey and the amount of USB input devices he has vs. mine. So I at least know it works ;-)

~X

I've ALMOST got it to work properly. I'm using the ED native launcher and I've managed to get V up and running inside. My problem is when I go to the YouTube page, I can't actually select a video to play. I can type in a search using my keyboard, the search results appear, but then I can't figure out a way to actually select a video. The right analog stick on my Xbox controller moves the whole YouTube page within the browser, but my mouse is inactive. So, this is where I'm stuck at the moment. How can I actually select something after I've gone to the site I wanted to ?

EDIT: Ok, figured that part out. Now, another question. Is there a way to completely shut off the app if you don't want the window floating in your view ?

Finally, to the Devs. This is a FANTASTIC app. With VR, it's a real pain to look up Inara while playing, and this makes it easy ! Once this is polished up, I'd DEFINITELY pay good money for it; it changes the whole ED experience.

Last edited:
... has to be injected into the Rift frames ...

Just a thought but...

1. Would it be possible to inject Leap Motion Orion hands in Elite with your injection method?
2. Would it be possible to overlay interactive configurable panels over the Elite GUI panels?

Being able to just use my hands to interact with the cockpit would be incredible! It's something I've been dreaming about for years and your tech sounds like a step in the right direction.

Vive already has this, and it's been around for a while.
https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

Edit: got beaten by the others.

Yes, this is a must for the Vive. Having a browser with mouse support in the cockpit is great. I have connected it to autohotkey so it can easily be enabled and disabled.. just a button click and it pops up with correct focus and all :)

Running engineers without inara easily available is a no go, so this a must for me.

Last edited:
I'm still having a hard time making this work, in fact I continue to fail. I'm pretty sure the issue is I have conflicting keybinds/presses between all the custom stuff I've setup for things like VoiceAttack, etc.

Is there a list of keypresses/binds anywhere? Can those be customized?

I finally took some time to work this out and have figure out a few very important things for HOTAS pilots, at least for me.

Whenever I'd bring up the overlay but looking top left immediately my view would jump about 45 degrees to the left and my discovery scanner would fire (or whatever was bound to the currently active fire group on button 1). I went into the bindings and learned that joystick button 1 and 2 are both used by HelloV. So what I had to do was setup a binding in JoyToKey so that when I press button 1/2 (trigger and thumb trigger) it sends a keypress rather than just the joystick input. After that bingo, everything is working in V. So let me better explain the steps:

- Go into Elite's binding menu

- If you have Joy1 and/or Joy2 bound anywhere, regardless if they are from stick or throttle clear those binds

- Use JoyToKey (or similar) to setup a keypress for those buttons. What I mean is when you go into JoyToKey you can find the buttons you want to use. In JTK you then set that button to output something like Ctrl+F4 (that's what I used).

- Then go back to Elite's bindings, select those inputs and this time when you bind Elite should say something like Ctrl+F4 (or whatever you used). That way Elite isn't looking for the actual joystick input but rather the keyboard presses. Since JTK is generating those keypresses it works great.

- I also had to do this for my VR view recenter as I was using what's called "Button 1" on my throttle for this. So I did the same as above and used JTK to map that button to Ctrl+F3 (again just what I chose).

- BINGO, all working great.

Next up I want to see if I can use one of the Xbox Controller emulators to translate HOTAS buttons/commands to Xbox commands so I can use my HOTAS with this. If I can make that work I'll be in heaven!!

More soon...

~X

Downloaded it today and wow really great work! Love being able to watch videos inside my cockpit!

SUCCESS!!!

What I mean is I now have V working and using my HOTAS for control rather than needing to pick up my Xbox controller. I'll likely write a full guide for it later as right now I want to fly some and check it out, both to play with it and to make sure I haven't missed or created any bugs. In short here's how I did it.

- Install HelloV
- Install vJoystick (Virtual Joystick)
- Install vXbox Controller (feeder for vJoy)
- Configure various hats/buttons on my stick using JoyToKey to press various keys (letters, symbols, etc)
- Configure vJoystick to use those key presses
- Verify I haven't used the same keypresses in Elite so by pressing key X via my stick it does something in game
(the great part here is V grabs all input when it's in focus so you don't accidentally tell Elite to do something)

BINGO - done. So far I've been able to replicate all V / Xbox controls just fine via vJoy and it all works as expected. This was my last deal breaker for using V as I didn't want to have to keep my Xbox controller nearby while in VR flying with my HOTAS (just no good place to set it and I didn't want to have to pick it up off the floor). The other huge benefit to this is it doesn't break immersion as I'm continuing to use all my same flight controls for both Elite and V. Feels like I got my in ship HUD upgraded with Internet access and streaming video!!

I'll do my best to write a step-by-step guide for it soon so others can have a go as I know at least several were going to wait until there was HOTAS support. While there are a number of steps and software needed it's all free and rather straightforward to setup and use.

Now I can start submitting bug reports - such as if you leave video playing in a window and back out that window isn't closed/killed so the video keeps playing - you can't see it but you can hear the audio.

~X

I can open it allright but when I try and click on it on the taskbar it disappears
inside of VR the xbox controller works well V is there but YouTube and everything else
just gives me a blank screen

To the dev's-

What reason would make ED crash every time it try to use V?

It 'sees' the game, but ED fails to run followed by a crash dialog box. I've tried the support side of the webpage, but there very few tips or even anything close to support.
It's being launched through the launcher, not Steam or Oculus.

It would be awesome to try the software, but it appears it's not meant to be for me.

WIN 10
i5 6700K
Blah blah blah.

Top Bottom