The VR Dashboard "V" is now in Open Beta!

Are you saying it doesn't work with the official launcher? The OP says it does so would like to get this point clarified.

I tried the Showdown demo and V injected OK.

Are you manually injecting V into Elite via the V system tray icon? When I used it I:

1. loaded V and then Elite
2. got in game & then alt tab to desktop
3. Open V via the system tray icon
4. Entered 'EliteDangerous64.exe' into the inject field and clicked inject.
5. Waited until V confirmed that the injection has been sucessful.
6. Returned to Elite and double tapped to bring up the V menu - You may want to do this in a location that you have 90FPS as its a little sketchy otherwise.

Are you running V as an administrator? I've not used it in a while due to the poor performance but I'll look for you when I get home, my GTX1080 / 6700K can barely manage 90FPS around stations @ 1.5 SS, when V is enabled the game was really stuttery around stations and on planets, so even delivery mission running / trading was out of the Window. Coupled with the dodgy controls which cause phantom button presses, in my case enabling hyperspace which couldn't be disengaged with V open (almost destroyed my ship via heat damage) and the "spiral of death" maneuver your ship goes into I'll leave it on the shelf for now.

V is certainly a great idea, much needed in VR imo, but it has a long ways to go at the moment. It deperately needs to fix the controller issue and needs some way to be able to disable / enable it on the fly so it can be turned off easily on station approach in order to maintain good frame rates..

Last edited:
What OS are you using? I'm on Windows 10 and just tested V for you, EliteDangerous64.exe shows up in my list. Have you tried launching Elite, getting in game and then launching V?

Win10. Yep, tried that - the steps I'm taking are in post #59. Thanks for trying. Will give up now as I'd rather spend the time playing :) FWIW I had the same issue when I tried Virtual Desktop even though others said they got it working. Makes me wonder if it's something to do with certain graphics cards (seems unlikely) or certain versions of the Oculus HMD firmware (note: firmware not the client, not sure if the firmware gets updated automatically alongside a client update).

Win10. Yep, tried that - the steps I'm taking are in post #59. Thanks for trying. Will give up now as I'd rather spend the time playing :) FWIW I had the same issue when I tried Virtual Desktop even though others said they got it working. Makes me wonder if it's something to do with certain graphics cards (seems unlikely) or certain versions of the Oculus HMD firmware (note: firmware not the client, not sure if the firmware gets updated automatically alongside a client update).

Yeah very odd. Personally, V isn't worth the hasstle at the moment. You might use it once or twice but the negatives far outweigh any positives.

Just wondering how the update is going? and for the touch support are you rendering hands or controllers? cause hands would be awesome!

Good news for us Elite players (and anyone who likes V but notices it having a bit more performance penalty than you might like). The latest internal builds are shaping up to be incredibly optimized and through some magic voodoo, have made V have a much smaller performance penalty if any. (Tested on some of our systems with a 970 up to a 1080. I personally have a 980Ti).

A New Official build is coming soon with even more changes and improvements. Keep an eye out. :)

Also until we get our official Twitch channel rolling, you might want to keep an eye on IM0001's Twitch Channel for when he goes live with V in Elite to show off some of the new features coming soon as well as answer any questions you might have or try any ideas you might have that we haven't yet.

Good news for us Elite players (and anyone who likes V but notices it having a bit more performance penalty than you might like). The latest internal builds are shaping up to be incredibly optimized and through some magic voodoo, have made V have a much smaller performance penalty if any. (Tested on some of our systems with a 970 up to a 1080. I personally have a 980Ti).

A New Official build is coming soon with even more changes and improvements. Keep an eye out. :)

Also until we get our official Twitch channel rolling, you might want to keep an eye on IM0001's Twitch Channel for when he goes live with V in Elite to show off some of the new features coming soon as well as answer any questions you might have or try any ideas you might have that we haven't yet.

Thank you, thats great!

Wow - that is great news indeed!

Tested the new version last night - here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- Frame rates are much better, there is some performance loss but it's not huge like the previous build. I likely notice it as I'm running on the very cusp of what my rig can handle.
- Touch control works great, you are able to resize and adjust the window position with ease.
- Netflix and Amazon Prime are both now supported and they work well once you have signed in once (Netflix didn't appear to sign in initially, but was working fine once I restarted V)
- The injection process for Elite seems automatic now, just launch V and then launch Elite.

Cons:
- My ships controls still seems to be affected when enabling the main V menu.
- Once a game has been 'injected' it is not possible to terminate the app without closing Elite. I.E. once V is enabled your stuck with it until you quit both the game and V

Overall this tool is now much more usable in game and this build is clearly much better than the last - fantastic work V devs, very impressive!

Last edited:
The new V tool had updated itself yesterday and injected itself into the game, but instead of positioning itself to the top center of the CV1's field of view, it's now at the bottom center. No matter what key combinations I've tried with the Xbox controller, could not reposition the toolbox to the top. I'm running Windows 10 Creators update and launching ED from Oculus Home. V is configured to auto-start with the OS.

Did anyone run into this issue? Any suggestions? Never had this problem before.

That is part of the latest UI change. It was to allow the injection to be near the actual shortcut menu. Also it helps keep it from being accidentally opened while you are in combat and look to the upper left (in my case at least). You can press Y on the gamepad or touch controller to move it in relation to where your head is and where you are facing with V up, so you can move it closer/farther from you as well as Left/Right if you would like.

Also Ship Controls should not be affected anymore, however when you bring up V, it blocks input so you don't pass commands back to the game while using V, or vise versa. In doing this, if you open V while you are actively inputting something (like say a slow roll or yaw for example) it will continue until you close the V menu/pin the window.

So the old word of advice still stands, don't V and Fly near Stars/Surfaces/Stations unless you are prepared for it. :)

Last edited:
Also Ship Controls should not be affected anymore, however when you bring up V, it blocks input so you don't pass commands back to the game while using V, or vise versa. In doing this, if you open V while you are actively inputting something (like say a slow roll or yaw for example) it will continue until you close the V menu/pin the window.

Ship control is effected for me, I seem to turn to the left when V is open in game.

That should not be happening in the latest build...

You might want to try deleting any V folders in your AppData Roaming/Local folders and reinstalling the latest V and try again. I know one user had to do that where his Keyboard inputs were still passing through from the game to V or vise versa.

That should not be happening in the latest build...

You might want to try deleting any V folders in your AppData Roaming/Local folders and reinstalling the latest V and try again. I know one user had to do that where his Keyboard inputs were still passing through from the game to V or vise versa.

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

Top Bottom