This is how to do ship interiors..

Deleted member 115407

D
Let's just get FD to merge with these guys, Water Worlds solved.

The gameplay turns out to be much deeper than expected. The depth and essential "longevity" comes from both locating the blueprints / instructions that create each item you can place, as well as the materials required to produce them. They can and should be scattered throughout all the existing gameplay loops, the more interesting and convoluted the better.

I feel a sudden disturbance in the force as two thousand identical posts crop up on the forums complaining about "the grind" to get blueprints/materials for them. Don't you know that everything should be fully available to everyone at all times with no effort? /s

Id still like ship interiors. Apparantly there are people who still don't get what gameplay ship interiors would add which blows my mind.

"Its just easier not to.."

There are better examples
Ugh thanks for reminding me about Hellion. I bought that early access game and within a year the devs abandoned it.

Good news is there's a community initiative to complete the game, insofar as just for game mechanics (they can't finish the story for obvious reasons).

5cldqg.jpg

Not really a comparison, a suggestion. It really isn’t fair though, just counted on their website they only have 30 staff, frontier with 100 people and 500 available should be able to outdo them 3 times over :)
Not wrong. It comes down to priorities.

With any kickstarter we have to parse the legit from the aspirational...While I thought interiors could have been legit, seems it was pipe-dream all along.

the mighty tapeworm ship as an example... nah, krait, mamba, clipper for medium(and yes i put clipper in medium category), courier, cobra, viper, eagle for small, and type 10 and beluga for lulz, cutter/vette for seriousness

If I wanted to decorate a house, I'd play the Sims.

Trying to shoehorn basebuilding into a game about flying spaceships is just going to result in another bolted-on DLC which adds nothing to the core gameplay.

And all those lovely scenarios for actual 'gameplay' that people suggest for shiplegs are going to be fun for a while - just like interdictions are fun for a while - but will eventually become just another chore you have to do in order to get on with actually doing what you want to do. "Oh, I've got to repel boarders for the fifth time on my way to the station, hooray!, and then I'll have to play the repair minigame again to fix the airlock, whoop-de-doo!"

At this point I simply think the game engine and the basic coding wont allow it. I still think fragments of it are possible in the same way concourses work but I’m not going to obsess over it any more. Almost ten years now. If it happens at all I’ll be quite shocked.

If I wanted to decorate a house, I'd play the Sims.

Trying to shoehorn basebuilding into a game about flying spaceships is just going to result in another bolted-on DLC which adds nothing to the core gameplay.

And all those lovely scenarios for actual 'gameplay' that people suggest for shiplegs are going to be fun for a while - just like interdictions are fun for a while - but will eventually become just another chore you have to do in order to get on with actually doing what you want to do. "Oh, I've got to repel boarders for the fifth time on my way to the station, hooray!, and then I'll have to play the repair minigame again to fix the airlock, whoop-de-doo!"

This argument is so full of it in a game where I kill my 330,000th ship in a combat zone or fly from point A to point B to deliver data for a leather skinned grey haired portrait to tell me “great job” for the 14,000th time. Whoop-de-do-da-day!

At this point I simply think the game engine and the basic coding wont allow it. I still think fragments of it are possible in the same way concourses work but I’m not going to obsess over it any more. Almost ten years now. If it happens at all I’ll be quite shocked.

My suspicion was the exact opposite.. the same cobra engine has supported Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo, which are insane piece by piece building games, and JWE which is a stamping game, which would be the closer to the basis for subnautica like functionality if it went that way. Id imagine building player housing in elite would be a few times closer than building a first person shooter into the cobra engine?

My suspicion was the exact opposite.. the same cobra engine has supported Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo, which are insane piece by piece building games, and JWE which is a stamping game, which would be the closer to the basis for subnautica like functionality if it went that way. Id imagine building player housing in elite would be a few times closer than building a first person shooter into the cobra engine?
I gotta think there is some technical limitation at work here unless you believe its shear stubborn refusal to do what people would want and pay money to have.

Yeah that's a commn pov until you play NMS or Subnautica. The gameplay becomes finding the blueprints for things you want to place in the housing spaces. The art comes from how the finding is done. If its a reward or integrated into all the other loops, the more integrated the better. Even mining can be involved for construction materials. There are also some really easy ways to add complexity by breaking up the blueprints into parts* and also a super easy way to add "content" in future releases by just adding more of these (see eso). Also nms has an elaborate system of vendors and currencies to dispense the blueprints, but i would probably prefer direct rewards from other activities like subnautica. When vendors are involved getting the currency isn't directly related and can easy just be seen as grind.

*Wanting a full blueprint in subnautia a few times more motivational than making your credit counter go up from doing another trade hop. Trust me.

Before subnautica and nms.. i thought.. base building? minecraft? whats this i don't care. When you see it done right, both the gameplay and rewards are amazing. Elite also has it even easier because we already have personal connections to our ships and the result would mean so much more. A random plot of land somewhere not so much.

This argument is so full of it in a game where I kill my 330,000th ship in a combat zone or fly from point A to point B to deliver data for a leather skinned grey haired portrait to tell me “great job” for the 14,000th time. Whoop-de-do-da-day!
Right, so why do you think ship interiors is somehow going to be different?

Yeah that's a commn pov until you play NMS or Subnautica. The gameplay becomes finding the blueprints for things you want to place in the housing spaces. The art comes from how the finding is done. If its a reward or integrated into all the other loops, the more integrated the better. Even mining can be involved for construction materials. There are also some really easy ways to add complexity by breaking up the blueprints into parts* and also a super easy way to add "content" in future releases by just adding more of these (see eso). Also nms has an elaborate system of vendors and currencies to dispense the blueprints, but i would probably prefer direct rewards from other activities like subnautica. When vendors are involved getting the currency isn't directly related and can easy just be seen as grind.

*Wanting a full blueprint in subnautia a few times more motivational than making your credit counter go up from doing another trade hop. Trust me.
That's the primary Subnautica gameloop - designed into the game from the ground up. It's not like they bolted it onto Gran Tourismo.

That's the primary Subnautica gameloop - designed into the game from the ground up. It's not like they bolted it onto Gran Tourismo.

All they would have to do is design the content and chop it up and put it in the galaxy. Conceptually they wouldn't have to invent anything greater, just get the balance right.

Also ship boarding while logically valid is just as distant as player housing from the current game, ie its also bolted onto gran tourismo.

Back
Top Bottom