This show how good FPS can be

I never said Frontier stated they were trying to pull in the COD crowd. It was a sentiment widely expressed by players pre-release as to the motive for focusing on ground pew pew that EDO has. It is funny in retrospect of that, as it is hilariously bad.

So you're just implying that Frontier were trying to pull in the COD crowd because it was "a sentiment widely expressed by players", got it!

Last edited:
EDIT to add: This reminds me, i keep getting spammed about buying their EDO ground game called lemming gate, i've been looking through the settings for an opt out, and can't find it, anyone know the tab? Further is anyone actually going to buy that?
It's spelled "Lemnis Gate" and it has nothing to do with Elite Dangerous other than being published by the same company.

So you're just implying that Frontier were trying to pull in the COD crows because it was "a sentiment widely expressed by players", got it!
C'mon, do you really need Frontier to explicitly tell you that? They built an FPS component that is pretty much disconnected from the flying spaceships part of the game, even to the point where you don't even need to fly spaceships in a spaceship game. I mean, if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck.....?

Which brings me to another point. I have seen quite a few posts from some of the settlers on this board arguing that this is NOT an FPS. However the OP is positive towards the game. I've seen likes dished out on this thread from said settlers, but not one argument about this not being an FPS. Hmmmmm. :unsure:

Frontier didn't try to appeal to "COD" or whatever shooter game players, because you can't do that with an MMORPG. Those players are looking to jump into fights whenever they like, without having to search and travel to a place.

Planetside, Dishonored, Doom, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Rainbow Six would be my all time fav. The old ones, not this new crap :) One's with heart, not one's about getting to 8 year olds to smash their e-peens together.

Planetside, Dishonored, Doom, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Rainbow Six would be my all time fav. The old ones, not this new crap :) One's with heart, not one's about getting to 8 year olds to smash their e-peens together.
RS6 Siege is one of the best shooters ever made when it comes to mechanics. It's problem is it's map knowledge reliance. Map knowledge isn't just important as it is in all shooters, it's key in siege to an insane degree, which can make it a steep hill to climb, but it completely overshadows all the old rainbow games, and similar style titles like Swat 3.

COD MW is by any measure one of the best shooters ever made. There are always going to be people who don't like it. Some people don't like ice cream too. But the quality speaks for itself.

C'mon, do you really need Frontier to explicitly tell you that? They built an FPS component that is pretty much disconnected from the flying spaceships part of the game, even to the point where you don't even need to fly spaceships in a spaceship game. I mean, if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck.....?

Which brings me to another point. I have seen quite a few posts from some of the settlers on this board arguing that this is NOT an FPS. However the OP is positive towards the game. I've seen likes dished out on this thread from said settlers, but not one argument about this not being an FPS. Hmmmmm. :unsure:

People (Edit: FPS fans) are constantly complaining that it doesn't quack like a duck so presumably, it's not.

It's just the assumption of players that they were going after the FPS market. 🤷‍♂️

And you're counting people's likes? As if they actually mean anything.

Last edited:
People (Edit: FPS fans) are constantly complaining that it doesn't quack like a duck so presumably, it's not.

It's just the assumption of players that they were going after the FPS market. 🤷‍♂️
🤷‍♂️

And you're counting people's likes? As if they actually mean anything.
No, I am not counting likes. I read the posts and the likes are right underneath, you have to make a conscious effort not to see that. I am merely pointing out some...lets be nice and call them inconsistencies.

RS6 Siege is one of the best shooters ever made when it comes to mechanics. It's problem is it's map knowledge reliance. Map knowledge isn't just important as it is in all shooters, it's key in siege to an insane degree, which can make it a steep hill to climb, but it completely overshadows all the old rainbow games, and similar style titles like Swat 3.

COD MW is by any measure one of the best shooters ever made. There are always going to be people who don't like it. Some people don't like ice cream too. But the quality speaks for itself.
I am old and set in my ways. I ain't gonna lie.

Edit: Can't leave out Counterstrike or TF2. Many many an hour in my youth :)

Last edited:
As a shooter, it's awful relative to shooters like Apex legends or COD. Nobody in their right mind would play this game for the shooter component, which makes the notion they were building this to pull in the COD crowd hilarious. They had an opportunity to do something different and somewhat unique, with the interplay of gravity mechanics and low atmosphere. They decided it would impact how high you can jump...............................................

EDIT to add: This reminds me, i keep getting spammed about buying their EDO ground game called lemming gate, i've been looking through the settings for an opt out, and can't find it, anyone know the tab? Further is anyone actually going to buy that?
They are just publishing that, and it's nothing to do with EDO, the devs seem pretty good, and the game has a nice concept.

I generally like the FPS play in Odyssey despite some areas that still annoy me. Meaningless threat level and such and the poor framerate in busy areas. Just at lunch today I had a blast following a CMDR down I spotted in a frontline shuttle to se if he was working against us. Turned out allied and was fun as hell fighting co-op.

Still much of that video I don't see as amazing. The drones are stupid as lamp-posts. Massive aircraft with plasma bolts is a minor annoyance. Running to a few places where NPCs can't get and air is too stupid to move around for a better angle. They don't prioritize the vehicle he's using to restock himself every 40 seconds or so just let it sit there like mooks. Still needs some work in my book.

As I said though. I still enjoy it as a break from moving number sliders around and the mind-numbing forever fights of ship CZs.

I generally like the FPS play in Odyssey despite some areas that still annoy me. Meaningless threat level and such and the poor framerate in busy areas. Just at lunch today I had a blast following a CMDR down I spotted in a frontline shuttle to se if he was working against us. Turned out allied and was fun as hell fighting co-op.

Still much of that video I don't see as amazing. The drones are stupid as lamp-posts. Massive aircraft with plasma bolts is a minor annoyance. Running to a few places where NPCs can't get and air is too stupid to move around for a better angle. They don't prioritize the vehicle he's using to restock himself every 40 seconds or so just let it sit there like mooks. Still needs some work in my book.

As I said though. I still enjoy it as a break from moving number sliders around and the mind-numbing forever fights of ship CZs.

You can't simply enjoy it.

It has to be the best FPS on the market, despite being a DLC for a space game and not a dedicated FPS, or else it's simply the worse thing ever and should be slagged off eternally.

So what you're implying is that people call the FPS bit crap because they're bad at it? That doesn't seem like honest feedback.
In general, I'm bad at first person shooters but I feel good when I'm succeeding like in the on foot combat zones in Odyssey. To me that's all that counts. I have no desire to play against other people and be as good or better than them.

No matter what the game, there's always going to be certain tricks to succeeding against other people. There's millions of videos on youtube with people showing what these tricks are for various games and how to succeed. I have no desire to learn those game specific tricks, it just doesn't interest me. I just want to go out there and have some fun shooting up some AI. I feel like I can do that with Odyssey, when the other kind of FPS (frames per second) are reasonable (I really hope they can fix performance).

Top Bottom