Thrustmaster HOTAS Question

So I have a question for anyone here that has had or does have a Thrustmaster HOTAS. Or if anyone here has had anything Thrustmaster in general.
So here goes: I first got this game on XB1 back in April 2018. In May 2019, a good friend of mine who also plays Elite bought me a Thrustmaster HOTAS One for my birthday, at the beginning of the month. Up until then, I had used a controller to play Elite, and it was alright. But I really liked playing with a HOTAS. Sometime around the end of 2019, I got burnt out on the game, (partially due to getting into a fight with the squadron I was in, and partially due to the fact that I had gotten everything except a FC, which I had heard were garbage,) so I quit for a while. I thought about coming back in mid-2020, but I discovered that Ship interiors wouldn't be in Odyssey, so I decided not to.
In October, I decided to build a gaming PC so that I could get in on all those good games I was missing out on on PC. I decided that over the Christmas break from work and school would be a good time to build it. So when I heard that the Epic Games store was giving away free copies of Elite for a week in November, I created an Epic account with the intention of using the copy on the PC I would build later. That worked out. Because Odyssey was not coming out til mid-late spring, I played a bunch of other games until about a week and a half ago. When I got on a week and a half ago, I tried at first using the keyboard and mouse setup. It was awful. I just couldn't work with it. So I hooked my HOTAS up to my PC, set it to PC mode and started using that to do the Robigo-Sothis runs to get rich before Odyssey.
A couple of days ago, the stick started to have issues with Yaw drift, to the left. I checked the Thrustmaster Flight Control Panel, and it was registering that the Yaw feature was in fact broken. At first, it was just an annoying little turn. It has slowly become worse, to the point that today, I had to unplug it and go back to Kb/M. I submitted a ticket to Thrustmaster support for assistance in fixing it earlier today. At some point recently, however, someone in my house threw away the box for the HOTAS, so I hope they don't need that to fix or replace it.
So the question is, what are the chances that they will fix my HOTAS or send me a replacement? I can't afford to buy a new HOTAS, and Odyssey right after building a PC. And for some reason my XB controllers can't connect to my PC.
TLDR: I don't have the box for my HOTAS, or the money to get a new one, the warranty's got about 1 month left, and I really can't play the game without it. You guys think Thrustmaster can help me fix this?

I'm taking it that this is a HOTAS TFlight X or similar...

Thrustmaster have an issue with their T16000m stick in that it develops yaw drift (due to a faulty potentiomenter). I've not experienced it on any of their other sticks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it occurs.

In the event the stick is in warranty what they will probably do is request a video of the stick yawing by itself, and then some kind of proof of purchase. At that point, what they did with the two T16000m sticks of mine they had to replace is tell you to send a picture of the stick / HOTAS showing the serial number and the cable cut. Then they will send a replacement, so you shouldn't need the box.

They do all their support via email, and while they aren't the fastest, they are generally Ok. Hope that you get it resolved. As I said, my experience was with the T16000m stick (which comes as part of a HOTAS but with a totally separate throttle - as in separate USB cable), so don't know if that is the one you have, but I suspect you have the HOTAS one or TFlightX. Good luck.

Deleted member 38366

D
Considering Thrustmaster HOTAS Systems often die within months with the exact same symptoms you've described, I don't know.

In a sense, they should be running a crazy return ratio due to the poor manufacturing quality they gave their many of their consumer products, so maybe they're used to sending replacements ;)

But on a more serious note, the only answer you can get is that from Thrustmaster Support.

PS.
Have a look at Youtube and search "fix thrustmaster yaw", you'll get plenty of how-to's - in case you end up stuck with the stick. It is a very common issue with Thustmaster.

Example :
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=688J7pfqLVs

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the T-flight 4 (PS4 version of your HOTAS) that I used on ym PC without any issues...
First thing to check with the yaw issue is that the yaw spring hasn't come out from it's mount, a common problem. It pretty simple to do, you unscrew the stick and reset the spring on the mount around the centre spindle. Plenty of guides on google/YT for it...

The other thing I've found the T-flights is that the sensors come loose relatively easily.. I glued them back in place and it pretty much stopped all my issues with 'ghost inputs' etc... small deadzones were used but these were very small...

I would still be using it now if I hadn't upgrade to twin sticks... my daughter has it now :D

Can they? Probably. Will they? Hard to say.
It sounds like a classic case of dirty potentiometer to me. If Thrustmaster won't help you, I would look into opening up the stick and cleaning the yaw potentiometer with electronics cleaner (or high grade ethyl alcohol). Most likely that will fix the issue.

Hi OP

I also bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS last year (2020) in March. I also had the odd occasion where some of the axis started drifting.

Since the I am located very far form any support, nor are the any possibility to get a replacement unit any time soon.

I therefore decided that it does need some maintenance every now and then.

It is really very simple, just open the section that is causing the drift, for yaw it is the sick that needs to be opened.

After opening I just used some contact cleaner on the pot and moved it a few times side to side. There is a youtube video on how to do this.

After that it worked fine for a long time. So far I had no issued after I have done each axis at least once.

I Really enjoy flying ED with my HOTAS.

O7 Commanders.

Ah, the Hotas One. We have a yaw drift mega thread in Xbox, where there are lots of CMDRs with the same issue (I'm on my 4th).

In short, all Thrustmaster products have a 2 year warranty and they're very good at honouring that. Thrustmaster will ask to see proof of the fault, using joy.cpl in your terminal, and a video of the results. Then they'll ask to see proof that the unit is out of use - literally cut the cables off and take a photo with the S/N showing.

Contact them before doing any of this, obviously: http://www.thrustmaster.com/support

If it's out of warranty, the Xbox thread has lots of fixes including detailed instructions about re-routing wires, cleaning or replacing potentiometers, etc.

Hi OP

I also bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS last year (2020) in March. I also had the odd occasion where some of the axis started drifting.

Since the I am located very far form any support, nor are the any possibility to get a replacement unit any time soon.

It is really very simple, just open the section that is causing the drift, for yaw it is the sick that needs to be opened.

After opening I just used some contact cleaner on the pot and moved it a few times side to side. There is a youtube video on how to do this.

After that it worked fine for a long time. So far I had no issued after I have done each axis at least once.

O7 Commanders.
This ^

I have a Thurstmaster T16000m and after some time, the yaw axis began to drift, as many reported, but I followed the (countless) guides on the internet, and they solved the issue.

Sometimes it is a faulty potentiometer, but in most cases it's just down to dirt and/or poor assembly.

For the dirt part, a contact cleaner does wonders for a long time, and you might want to perform a clean periodically (not too often).

For the assembly part, what happens is that the wires of the yaw are sometimes caught between the two halves of the joystick, or they get caught between the twisting mechanism and the shell, due to poor assembly, and upon use they tend to be crushed, squeezed and damaged.
In order to prevent it, make sure, once you reassemble the joystick, that you position them so that they don't get in the way.

The first time I opened my joystick, I did not pay too much attention to how the wires were positioned, and after a week, the yaw drift was back. The second time I paid attention, tried different positions and when I was satisfied I reassembled it all. I haven't had any problems since then.

I have about 1000h on my T16000m and it's still going strong.

I have a Logitech X52, that occasionally starts drifting. In those cases it is caused by the cable between the joystick and the throttle falling half way out of the socket on the joystick in the heat of combat etc. Then I just unplug and replug, and everything becomes fine and dandy.

Bonus tip: I have been looking for a way to quickly remove the Hotas from my desk when not using it, and likewise quickly put it back there when I feel the need. Turns out that the suction cups beneath the Hotas give enough friction to keep everything in place, if you place the Hotas directly onto a large mouse pad. That way you don't have to drill any holes, and removing the joystick is as easy af unplug and lift it up.

I have a Thrustmater T-Flight Hotas 4
Started to drift a few months ago, took it apart cleaned it all out, resembled and it's been working fine up until Odyssey was just about to be released. Might aswell grab yourself some Silicon gel whilst you're at it, if you're anything like me and can't stand the creaking...

if you don't want to go through that, then just use the Deadzone settings in both your Flight / SRV Axis.

Didn't see anyone mentioning "jitter" , can imagine it being horrible though what ever it is... not experienced it myself.

I'm taking it that this is a HOTAS TFlight X or similar...

Thrustmaster have an issue with their T16000m stick in that it develops yaw drift (due to a faulty potentiomenter). I've not experienced it on any of their other sticks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it occurs.

In the event the stick is in warranty what they will probably do is request a video of the stick yawing by itself, and then some kind of proof of purchase. At that point, what they did with the two T16000m sticks of mine they had to replace is tell you to send a picture of the stick / HOTAS showing the serial number and the cable cut. Then they will send a replacement, so you shouldn't need the box.

They do all their support via email, and while they aren't the fastest, they are generally Ok. Hope that you get it resolved. As I said, my experience was with the T16000m stick (which comes as part of a HOTAS but with a totally separate throttle - as in separate USB cable), so don't know if that is the one you have, but I suspect you have the HOTAS one or TFlightX. Good luck.
I have a very similar model, the Hotas One. That's the response I've been getting from a lot of people, so that seems to be the consensus.

I have a Thrustmater T-Flight Hotas 4
Started to drift a few months ago, took it apart cleaned it all out, resembled and it's been working fine up until Odyssey was just about to be released. Might aswell grab yourself some Silicon gel whilst you're at it, if you're anything like me and can't stand the creaking...

if you don't want to go through that, then just use the Deadzone settings in both your Flight / SRV Axis.
It's to the point that I don't think adjusting deadzone would make it work, it's to the point that it is drifting way to far to be cut out by the deadzone.

Hi OP

O7 Commanders.
Cool. I don't really have the technical know-how or contact cleaner to fix this, but if it comes down to this or having to buy a new HOTAS I'll do that. Thanks for the advice.

This ^

I have a Thurstmaster T16000m and after some time, the yaw axis began to drift, as many reported, but I followed the (countless) guides on the internet, and they solved the issue.

Sometimes it is a faulty potentiometer, but in most cases it's just down to dirt and/or poor assembly.

For the dirt part, a contact cleaner does wonders for a long time, and you might want to perform a clean periodically (not too often).

For the assembly part, what happens is that the wires of the yaw are sometimes caught between the two halves of the joystick, or they get caught between the twisting mechanism and the shell, due to poor assembly, and upon use they tend to be crushed, squeezed and damaged.
In order to prevent it, make sure, once you reassemble the joystick, that you position them so that they don't get in the way.

The first time I opened my joystick, I did not pay too much attention to how the wires were positioned, and after a week, the yaw drift was back. The second time I paid attention, tried different positions and when I was satisfied I reassembled it all. I haven't had any problems since then.

I have about 1000h on my T16000m and it's still going strong.
Could you explain to me how to get the HOTAS open? I can't seem to find any way to get the bottom cover off.

Considering Thrustmaster HOTAS Systems often die within months with the exact same symptoms you've described, I don't know.

In a sense, they should be running a crazy return ratio due to the poor manufacturing quality they gave their many of their consumer products, so maybe they're used to sending replacements ;)

But on a more serious note, the only answer you can get is that from Thrustmaster Support.

PS.
Have a look at Youtube and search "fix thrustmaster yaw", you'll get plenty of how-to's - in case you end up stuck with the stick. It is a very common issue with Thustmaster.

Example :
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=688J7pfqLVs
I'll give those a look. Thx Cmdr.

Could you explain to me how to get the HOTAS open? I can't seem to find any way to get the bottom cover off.
I have never had the need to open the bottom. For all intents and purposes, the bits that need cleaning and repositioning are in the stick: that's where all the action and the wear and tear happen.
I cannot imagine of any issues that would happen inside the base of the joystick that is not a factory fault or damange caused by dropping the joystick on the floor, or smashing it deliberately.

The only reason to have any clearance to the bottom is to drop some silicone gel in to advert abrasion creeks/sounds when moving the sticks.

Everything you need to look at for YAW drift will be in the stick itself.

After you've watched the tutorial vids, there's plenty out there. Just make sure you place the spring back correctly, a mistake I made after reassembling the first time.

Top Bottom