Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS One - Anyone else having Yaw problems?

Has anyone idea of how to fix the roll axis jitter? Where is the potentiometer for this axis to clean or fix somehow...

Has anyone idea of how to fix the roll axis jitter? Where is the potentiometer for this axis to clean or fix somehow...
Damn good question. My Thrustmaster 4 has just started to develop a roll jitter. Twist/Yaw has never bothered me 'cos I know how to fix to fix it but this ... I may have to just order a new one.

The POTs for the pitch and roll are on the OUT side of the gimble, each pot has 3 wires and these join the mother board..
Static on those wires would cause malfunction....
Bb5LGt5BfqFb2OAK.huge

Damn good question. My Thrustmaster 4 has just started to develop a roll jitter. Twist/Yaw has never bothered me 'cos I know how to fix to fix it but this ... I may have to just order a new one.
How u fix the yaw jitter is that something else than already metioned here in the thread or do u have the one and only solution to fix it? Asking because i´m having both issues ...on that damn stick

Look for lose/decaying wire, bad solder on were the wires join to POT or mother board. For the roll POT... which is the POT at the back for left and right roll
thx again, until now i did not received my replacement but when its arrived i´ll give it a try. You do not have any detailed pictures of such issue before/after repaired dont you? i´m not an expert in hw things .

thx again, until now i did not received my replacement but when its arrived i´ll give it a try. You do not have any detailed pictures of such issue before/after repaired dont you? i´m not an expert in hw things .
sorry No pics my phone is a burner phone... I don't own a camera...
I Fix it.com does not have this ether..

i have disassemble this HOTAS several times to clean the POTs with CRC Electrical Cleaner. the drift and false inputs always comes back eventually.

this last time, i took the POTs and let them sit in a shot glass full of rubbing alcohol. i shook the POTs about a bit until i saw small bubbles. then twisted the input axle back and forth. i let them soak for a bit and then took them out of the rubbing alcohol and let them dry out. while rubbing alcohol does evaporate quickly, i still let everything dry out for at least three (3) hours. please note, i did not disconnect the POTs from their respective wires.

HOTAS works good as new again. hopefully for at least a month or two this time around.

Here what I've done to fix it. After that, I had no problems anymore (mine is the HOTAS 4 for PS4, it is the same one for the XBOX)

After a while, I had the jittering problem to all the potentiometers (yaw, roll, pitch, and the throttle). What I've done is to:
  1. take some toothpick and flatten their tip with a plier
  2. use those toothpicks as thickness inserting them in the borders, between the potentiometer and its plastic holder
  3. use hot glue to block those toothpicks (so they won't go away due to gravity or vibration)
  4. the potentiometers have 3 wires that come out. I've hot glued each wire to the plastic in order to avoid they can move
You see weel in the following images:
PHOTO_20200704_103942-min.jpg

Here highlighted:
PHOTO_20200704_103942_modified-min.jpg

The other one:
PHOTO_20200704_103934-min.jpg

Here the yaw (note: to access it, you can just pull out the plastic part you see in the next photo, just lightly unscrew the 4 screws and use a
screwdriver to pull it out). In this photo, I had still to "block" the toothpicks and wires with glue:

PHOTO_20200601_195030-min.jpg

This is the plastic you can pull out:

removable_plastic.jpg

I hope this helps!!!!

AND I HOPE THAT THRUSTMASTER WILL RELEASE A MORE RELIABLE VERSION OF THIS CRAP FOR NEXT-GEN CONSOLE! or It would be also nice if Frontier could make an agreement with any other company in order to provide a more decent hotas.

Attachments

• PHOTO_20200704_103942_modified-min.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 532
  • PHOTO_20200704_103942-min.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 436
  • PHOTO_20200601_195030-min.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 432
  • PHOTO_20200704_103934-min.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 397
  • removable_plastic.jpg
    removable_plastic.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Here what I've done to fix it. After that, I had no problems anymore (mine is the HOTAS 4 for PS4, it is the same one for the XBOX)

After a while, I had the jittering problem to all the potentiometers (yaw, roll, pitch, and the throttle). What I've done is to:
  2. use those toothpicks as thickness inserting them in the borders, between the potentiometer and its plastic holder
  3. use hot glue to block those toothpicks (so they won't go away due to gravity or vibration)
  4. the potentiometers have 3 wires that come out. I've hot glued each wire to the plastic in order to avoid they can move

Here highlighted:

The other one:

Here the yaw (note: to access it, you can just pull out the plastic part you see in the next photo, just lightly unscrew the 4 screws and use a
screwdriver to pull it out). In this photo, I had still to "block" the toothpicks and wires with glue:

removable_plastic.jpg

I hope this helps!!!!

AND I HOPE THAT THRUSTMASTER WILL RELEASE A MORE RELIABLE VERSION OF THIS CRAP FOR NEXT-GEN CONSOLE! or It would be also nice if Frontier could make an agreement with any other company in order to provide a more decent hotas.

Awesome, thank you!!

Here highlighted:

The other one:

removable_plastic.jpg

I hope this helps!!!!

Will it fix it finally? Or how long will it last?

I had the jittering problems after a few weeks I purchased the Hotas (first weeks of March). After that fix, I had 0 problems.

So it is now working for 6 months... I hope it will last! :)

I had the jittering problems after a few weeks I purchased the Hotas (first weeks of March). After that fix, I had 0 problems.

So it is now working for 6 months... I hope it will last! :)

Again thanks a lot very cool that u share your fix here !

BTW: What do u think is the reason for jitter? Because these pots / cables are not mounted correctly or do they have too much space in their mount?

Unfortunately, I haven't a real idea of the causes. I have no experience with electronics, I just tried to fix by reading other threads and suggestions.

I performed several tests (including re-soldering the wires) but it was not fixing the issue.

The only "tests" that gave me a good result were two

1. use toothpicks + hot glues to give some thickness (it seems that after a while, the holder gets a little bit to loosen. This might be one of the causes).That however was limiting the jittering, but not completely avoid it.
  2. The other test was to hot glue the 3 wires separately to a near surface. Maybe another cause is the fact that those wires when moving the joystick, are moving too causing some jittering.

After those two modifications, I had no problem anymore.

Here a video that shows the result, as you can see x,y,z, and the throttle seems to work as expected:

Attachments

• 20200901_205014.mp4
    965 KB
Got my new HOTAS and tried the repair on the old one but with no luck, it seems there is another issue e.g when throttle forward i can see jittering of the x-axis when using the Windows properties app where you see the inputs. That seems that there is something enormous broken as the trottle has normally nothing to do with the y-axis.
Hope the new one will help i while.

Very sorry to hear that :(

I do know how is it possible that Thrustmaster doesn't address the issue after all the user complaints (both Xbox and PS4) over the years. It would just require to use a better potentiometer... 2€ for 4 proper potentiometers.

It would be nice if Frontier could put to the Thrustmaster attention this issue and give a better tool for console users (also because there are any other Hotas for consoles) and maybe have in exchange their hotas sponsored directly in the Frontier store/forum. So all will be happy.

Top Bottom