Time to abandon it

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I'm visiting this thread because I'm feeling salty today, discouraged by bugs and design decisions that robbed my innocent joy after a gaming session this weekend. I've been down this road before, and I've walked away from ED a number of times in the past. Right now the thing that promises to keep me from abandoning it is VR, which completely changes the game for me, but perhaps this too will lose its luster over time.

Speaking of, how many of these alternatives to ED offer compelling VR support? NMS does, though it's not really the "space" game I'm looking for. Space Engineers (my current favorite alternative to ED) doesn't IIRC. Neither does Star Citizen, correct? What about Infinity Battlescape? I'm looking for a VR space game with a good flight model and good combat mechanics, like ED had before Engineers. Is there anything, or is ED still king of this particular niche?

House of the Dying Sun is a little hidden gem that feels great in VR. Not an mmo at all though. It is mission progression based, a mix between x-wing style with the background sound and feel of Homeworld. The only drawback, if I was to point out one, is that it is a bit too short.

Last edited:
House of the Dying Sun is little hidden gem that feels great in VR. Not an mmo at all though. It is mission progression based, a mix between x-wing style with the background sound and feel of Homeworld. The only drawback, if I was to point out one, is that it is a bit too short.
I need to go back to this one. I bought around launch and did my usual 30mins before putting it on the "come back to later" pile

I sympathise with you OP, no snarky "bye have a beautiful time" from me either as I feel many more folks like you and me will just move to another shiny thing sooner or later and its not good - as I DO WANT FD to put more and more in to this game.
But (again its only my personal feeling) I suspect that nothing will speed up in development and we can say bye bye to hopes and dreams about running on our LEGS in FRESH AIR chasing dinosaurs on planets ;)

I sympathise with you OP, no snarky "bye have a beautiful time" from me either as I feel many more folks like you and me will just move to another shiny thing sooner or later and its not good - as I DO WANT FD to put more and more in to this game.
But (again its only my personal feeling) I suspect that nothing will speed up in development and we can say bye bye to hopes and dreams about running on our LEGS in FRESH AIR chasing dinosaurs on planets ;)

It's a game about spaceships and flying. TBH - I've really never understood the infatuation with Space Legs.

If New Era's not about Atmospheric Landings (and I don't think it will be) then Horizons will continue to feel incomplete.

It's a game about spaceships and flying. TBH - I've really never understood the infatuation with Space Legs.

If New Era's not about Atmospheric Landings (and I don't think it will be) then Horizons will continue to feel incomplete.

From my perspective space legs just make sense as a part of experience. Even train sims/bus sims and lately more and more flight sims getting simple walk around and inspect your machine.

VR in ED may get old.... but it hasnt yet for me and i have been in VR since......... June at a guess 2014...... I did have a 3 or 4 month break however and came back to ED recently.
I'm feeling less salty today, having accepted that Open is broken (rubber-banding, etc) and subsequently embracing Solo for what it does have to offer. One of the ways VR has improved my enjoyment of ED is that I prefer flying smaller ships like the Eagle in VR, and engaging in combat in this ship at a normal RES is both challenging and extremely fun. I actually prefer fighting lower-ranking NPCs, as the dogfights feel more natural (less of the unrealistic turning on a dime). Flying a humble Eagle gives me the challenge I want, and I'm definitely not crying "Credits are too easy!" when using smaller ships to play the game. I was actually thrilled with my reward for hauling at the CG - top 50% using my beloved yet kinda small Type-7.

It also seems that the AI is surprisingly good for the type of combat I'm engaging in - much improved since the last time I played this way. I much rather go against a competent Cobra in my Eagle than a CMDR hiding behind his G5 FDL. As much as VR has breathed new life into my combat against NPCs, it's put the final nail in my interest in PvP, since VR really shines the light on just how ridiculous the acceleration and maneuverability of larger engineered ships in this game. VR is the ultimate immersion, and PvP in ED breaks that, so I'm coming to terms with not being in Open for CGs.

From my perspective space legs just make sense as a part of experience. Even train sims/bus sims and lately more and more flight sims getting simple walk around and inspect your machine.

True and I would have been happy with 'Space legs' arriving, eventually, as it will add more longevity. I just don't think it should have been so high up on the list of priorities. Supposing it is New Era, of course.

True and I would have been happy with 'Space legs' arriving, eventually, as it will add more longevity. I just don't think it should have been so high up on the list of priorities. Supposing it is New Era, of course.

I agree that it shouldn't be a #1 priority right now. My main issue is lack of any statement from current FD team about the feature that (you may like it or not) lots of folks keep bringing up since day one. Just say - yes we still want to do it or no, the scope has changed. Just dont leave us hanging ;)

I agree that it shouldn't be a #1 priority right now. My main issue is lack of any statement from current FD team about the feature that (you may like it or not) lots of folks keep bringing up since day one. Just say - yes we still want to do it or no, the scope has changed. Just dont leave us hanging ;)

I agree about the lack of communication. I'd hoped we would have had some sort of inkling as to what's in the fire for next year, by now.

I agree about the lack of communication. I'd hoped we would have had some sort of inkling as to what's in the fire for next year, by now.

FDev's secretive ways always amaze me. It just seems so counter-productive to selling and maintaining a healthy online game. I can think of dozens of great reasons for FDev to give the players hope for the future in something to look forward to, but I can't think of a single reason to keep it a secret for well over a year like they have. Just doesn't make sense to me.

FDev's secretive ways always amaze me. It just seems so counter-productive to selling and maintaining a healthy online game. I can think of dozens of great reasons for FDev to give the players hope for the future in something to look forward to, but I can't think of a single reason to keep it a secret for well over a year like they have. Just doesn't make sense to me.

They want the announcement be as close to release as possible for maximum effect to attract a lot of new players who can immediately buy the game.

Current/old players are not a priority, they are too salty anyway. Maybe they'll leave if they are being ignored long enough.

The problem there is the meltdown about an announcement of an announcement factor.

As a species (individuals vary) ED fans cope very badly with any sort of news or subsequent changes, especially those of us with specific demands from the game. So they have to wait for certainties, more importantly they also need to follow the marketing directives as ED is financed by unit sales rather than a sub (also cosmetics). So they'll wait for when they are told they can get maximum impact from it, which is just early enough for maximum hype without being early enough for people to lose interest.

In the terms of the 2020 (unless delayed) DLC release that means a winter 2020 cinematic trailer and advertising in gaming media, in the past before star wars movies.

No way they'll spill the beans early as it would reduce the wow factor of that and harm the bottom line.

Current/old players are not a priority, they are too salty anyway. Maybe they'll leave if they are being ignored long enough.

But being ignored is why a lot of players are salty in the first place, and salt has a way of spreading...

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
They want the announcement be as close to release as possible for maximum effect to attract a lot of new players who can immediately buy the game.

FD are also, imho, deathly afraid of saying or promising anything that could come back and bite them in the rear. Just look at 'Offline-gate' for exhibit A.

I think it's pretty obvious that whatever they're working on has been way more challenging than they've anticipated. Hence the very wide gap in Big New Content like atmo planets and Space Legs). See also: Abandonment of the season model.

They judge the salt that is generated by their coyness to be less and/or more bearable than the salt generated by unmet expectations.

Just checking has everybody left yet... ?

There is no subscription model, people can come & go as they please once they own it :)

I play every day, and have done for years. By & large I think it's still a great game & I play as much as I can, because I know that one day I won't be able to any more, and I will wish I had played more when I could. Really I just like flying my ships, and having reasons to fly them :)

Just for the record I'm happy with the game (in case someone is keeping track of the mass exodus), and I'm not going anywhere ... except colonia only 12000lys to go
Is it prefect? No, Yes it does have some stuff that could work/be better but what doesn't ?
Are there some things that i like more or less than other people, I hope so that means there are different types of players in the game.
A lot of the tings people gripe about on the forums can be fixed/offset by getting together and playing with others... call me nuts but I thought that was what multiplayer meant?
besides, have you been outside lately? that is well broken, and people are still happy playing that game

Top Bottom