To Solo Play Players: If You Could Disable PVP, Would You Play in Open Play Mode Instead?

I think FD made a decision during the development of ED based on wrong assumptions about how players will play the game and for some reason they don't admit that many players have a different expectation towards the game.
I think David Braden said that in his vision of the game, shooting others players, breaking into their ships and stealing their stuff, or even stealing their ships would be fun (according to the early videos of him). I wonder how he thought it would feel for the people on the recieving end of that. I must admit, with the current design and mechanics, I don't think it sounds like fun. But I suspect that's why from day 1, Open was PvP ON Only.

I wonder if he regularly plays the game in open?

I think David Braden said that in his vision of the game, shooting others players, breaking into their ships and stealing their stuff, or even stealing their ships would be fun (according to the early videos of him). I wonder how he thought it would feel for the people on the recieving end of that. I must admit, with the current design and mechanics, I don't think it sounds like fun. But I suspect that's why from day 1, Open was PvP ON Only.

I wonder if he regularly plays the game in open?
The total size of Mobius shows that there is a significant portion of the playerbase more interested in a peaceful and safe, cooperative, environment.

The total size of Mobius shows that there is a significant portion of the playerbase more interested in a peaceful and safe, cooperative, environment.
The interest isn't that big that the group is full though, at least not PVE Eurasia, arguably the biggest "market" for the game.

mobius.jpg

And yes, this is from today.

if over 12.000 is not significant, then I need to rethink my definition of that word.

And thats one group only
Nah, it's not few sure. There are several Mobius groups (4-5?) and also there is Fleetcom.

But there is always this argument about everyone would play PvE open because Mobius is full.
No, it isn't.

But there is always this argument about everyone would play PvE open because Mobius is full.
Mobias eurasia had more members when I joined a few years back, and apparently the other regions were pushed for space too.

Fleet Carriers & Fleetcomm probably accounted for some of the drop - at least in Fleetcomm there was a DW expedition as its highlight - squadrons with their own PG(s) may also have helped drop numbers.

I would join Mobius if I saw a reason to protect myself. Maybe in a high traffic area, during a CG or something, but, since this thread started, I have been tooling around in open, been to 3 or 4 major systems in last few days, have seen 2 people, and they were both on foot in Hind Mine. Friendly folk, both waved and saluted, and that was it.

The interest isn't that big that the group is full though, at least not PVE Eurasia, arguably the biggest "market" for the game.
Mobius had to split it's group into two, Eurasia and America, because the one group they did have (on PC) was right at the bursting point.

As far as I know, no other group has had this issue, nor has any other group managed to completely fill a PG session.

I always play in Mobius, pretty much from the moment I heard about it. I would love for all the various Mobius groups to be converted to a PVe server (or whatever Fdevs version of that is) and play in PVe open.

What I don't understand is why PVPers are averse to a PVP flag since most people that enjoy that style would have it switched on. Maybe make it per session than a timer then everyone playing would be in one galaxy (and add Xbox / PS4 players in too now that's possible) - then I'd consider this game a Massively Multiplayer Online Game.

I always play in Mobius, pretty much from the moment I heard about it. I would love for all the various Mobius groups to be converted to a PVe server (or whatever Fdevs version of that is) and play in PVe open.

What I don't understand is why PVPers are averse to a PVP flag since most people that enjoy that style would have it switched on. Maybe make it per session than a timer then everyone playing would be in one galaxy (and add Xbox / PS4 players in too now that's possible) - then I'd consider this game a Massively Multiplayer Online Game.
Biggest problems are things like ships taking no damage although you shoot them, and the implications of that.
Namely mail slot blocking, kill stealing in Res and CZs and a general immunity when doing powerplay for example.

This is why a better "PvE Mode" would be implemented with the security states imho.

But I don't think this will change ever.

Biggest problems are things like ships taking no damage although you shoot them, and the implications of that.
Namely mail slot blocking, kill stealing in Res and CZs and a general immunity when doing powerplay for example.

This is why a better "PvE Mode" would be implemented with the security states imho.

But I don't think this will change ever.
There are so many CZs and Res, a griefer can't be everywhere and the slot - I'd consider just disabling ship collision at ports when not flagged. We have to play without save feature, time acceleration, mod support because of MP - some concessions are needed to make stuff work and it goes both ways. Security and AI can't battle griefers - only hard game rules can.

You know what? This is kinda creepy and disgusting. What happens by Solo Powerplay / BGS players in this Thread is basically the same as ganking. This is going PvP on concepts and words, knowing that the vast majority of active Forum Members are PVT/Solo players, they can outnumber and literally gank us, as we only do tank all we can, and I'm totally annoyed by it. It's not a point of "what's fair or not" for fair-play but "what's fair or not because we don't want to play in the backseat because we play solo". The only FAIR thing to keep PP and BGS FAIR as a game mechanics is close them to OPEN PLAY. Wether you like it or not. Then you can say that "But I want to play and having nothing precluded in solo and PVT too" but that's not about a fair game mechanics, it's just about being fair about the original kickstarter Idea. Period.

I'm really tired of trying to keep up with trolls and people who think they're doing the best for the game.

Who want to keep PP and BGS in all modes, are only trying to make the best for themselves, as a group or as an individual. The best for the game is what keeps the game balanced, not what makes everyone half happy.

Top Bottom