Trit Transfer...

120 tons of Tritium enough for 4 jumps?
No .... initial 15000 cargo + 120t each 4 jumps = 70000 ly distance to go in 1 way (140 000 total). This allows to fly more without stressing mining a lot.
Doing 300t each 4-5 jumps makes infinite fly with initial cargo 15000t.

Ah, the issue raises its head once again.
At least you could have added the complaint that you pay your SLF pilot billions to sit in the bar most of the time too, to give the argument weight! (I don't hire one, so have nothing to bleat about, my choice, naturally)

Even if one might be able to plot a route for the FC whilst not being aboard, however far it was sent would need to be flown in another ship to get to it. I just fly ahead of my FC, plot a jump when I'm close to 500Ly away (don't need to be aboard to plot a jump) then, after 6 jumps or so, let the FC catch up, change ships, refill, then set off once again. Works well for me.

Maybe I am too easy-going, I thought the crew were paid just because we apparently need a crew to move what is essentially a mobile space station...

You don't have to mine tritium, you can buy it. I have three Carriers, and I've still not mined any tritium. If you're into mining, fine, but it IS optional. Though a big expedition would require some planning, in the rare cases where a full load wouldn't be enough.

So a hard NO on increasing the price of tritium.

And you can buy tritium in Colonia, there's a player-driven market for tritium shipped out from the Bubble. You just have to put up a buy-order and use EDMC or similar to make it visible on sites such as Inara (don't forget to open docking permission). If that hasn't worked for you, you're probably not offering enough. It's expensive and time-consuming to load a Carrier in the Bubble, get it to Colonia (which includes burning some of that load) and then offloading into a customer's Carrier. Don't expect people to do that for 100k/t.

But yes, it's still ridiculous that the Carrier's "tritium guy" doesn't actually do anything. If Frontier wanted to keep owners onboard their Carriers, they could just give us a tritium-transfer pump accessible from the captain's chair on the bridge (which would also give players a reason to buy Odyssey, so this ought to be a no-brainer for Frontier).

Mining tritium for FC use is, IMHO, inefficient. The yields you get from 'roids is very low in relation to how much tritium your carrier drinks. I would like to see the amount you can get tripled (or more) to make it more viable to be completely self-sufficient - long exploration trips would be much more enticing.

Of course, YMMV and IMO (and any other acronym you fancy) :D

Ah, the issue raises its head once again.
At least you could have added the complaint that you pay your SLF pilot billions to sit in the bar most of the time too, to give the argument weight! (I don't hire one, so have nothing to bleat about, my choice, naturally)

Even if one might be able to plot a route for the FC whilst not being aboard, however far it was sent would need to be flown in another ship to get to it. I just fly ahead of my FC, plot a jump when I'm close to 500Ly away (don't need to be aboard to plot a jump) then, after 6 jumps or so, let the FC catch up, change ships, refill, then set off once again. Works well for me.

Maybe I am too easy-going, I thought the crew were paid just because we apparently need a crew to move what is essentially a mobile space station...
The crew being paid despite doing absolutely nothing is not the issue here.
The issue is the whole concept of having to fly to your own carrier, change ships (so you can transfer tritium effectively) and then transferring the tritium yourself via the cargo space of your own vessel.

Imagine having a big truck with a trailer that can carry several cars. But you have to refuel it by driving your smaller car on the trailer first, filling your car's tank or boot and only then fuel your truck from your car's tank/boot.
I mean why? What is the idea behind this? It's just so illogical that the mind boggles.

Last edited:
I mean why? What is the idea behind this? It's just so illogical that the mind boggles.
Whyever Frontier thought it, I'd guess. Not ideal, but no deal-breaker.

Maybe I can't take games seriously enough, they are just recreation and fun enough.

I've never had an issue with keeping my FCs stocked with Trit, nor in feeding them from a T-9 when they approached empty. I guess others, being forced to actually interact with a game, in a manner they consider pointless, might feel differently. But then, I keep myself occupied for those 20 minute waits doing 'stuff', rather than staring at the FC wall and waiting.
The crew being paid despite doing absolutely nothing is not the issue here.
Oh, that isn't how it was written...
The issue is the whole concept of having to fly to your own carrier, change ships (so you can transfer tritium effectively) and then transferring the tritium yourself via the cargo space of your own vessel.
Oh, having to do something? Ok.
It is a dreadful thing to 'force' upon a player, I must admit.

...but, as I mentioned, the same old complaint raises, proving that the forumites must be getting terribly bored because nothing else is happening in the game to keep them amused.

I'm OK, Jack.

Whyever Frontier thought it, I'd guess. Not ideal, but no deal-breaker.

Maybe I can't take games seriously enough, they are just recreation and fun enough.

I've never had an issue with keeping my FCs stocked with Trit, nor in feeding them from a T-9 when they approached empty. I guess others, being forced to actually interact with a game, in a manner they consider pointless, might feel differently. But then, I keep myself occupied for those 20 minute waits doing 'stuff', rather than staring at the FC wall and waiting.

Oh, that isn't how it was written...

Oh, having to do something? Ok.
It is a dreadful thing to 'force' upon a player, I must admit.

...but, as I mentioned, the same old complaint raises, proving that the forumites must be getting terribly bored because nothing else is happening in the game to keep them amused.

I'm OK, Jack.
No, the same complaint gets raised because it is simply nonsense. It's just an artifical loop that achieves nothing and has no logical explanation in FDev universe.
Having to do something for the sake of doing something is so FDev.
This particluar mechanic we can do without. Both from gameplay and logical point of view.

No, the same complaint gets raised because it is simply nonsense. It's just an artifical loop that achieves nothing and has no logical explanation in FDev universe.
Simply nonsense describes every computer game, doesn't it?

I get it, people don't want to do something they consider nonsense, even though they were aware prior to playing that part of the game what the ground rules were, crazy, isn't it?

Simply nonsense describes every computer game, doesn't it?

I get it, people don't want to do something they consider nonsense, even though they were aware prior to playing that part of the game what the ground rules were, crazy, isn't it?
No, it really doesn't.
You can have meaningful gameplay mechanics in games that feel natural and suitable.
Tritium transfer from FC's cargo to FC's fuel tank is definitely not one of them.

And I don't know about you but when FCs first dropped I really didn't know that the tritium transfer would be such a chore.
I do know it now and that's why me (and others) are trying to raise this as a valid issue from gameplay perspective.
Is that really such a big problem for you that you have to try and downplay this?

You don't seem to have any issue with ED whatsoever. I say good for you but please let others voice their opinions. No matter how "useless" you think they are.

And I don't know about you but when FCs first dropped I really didn't know that the tritium transfer would be such a chore.
The beta for FCs demonstrated it perfectly, if my memory serves me well.
You can have meaningful gameplay mechanics in games that feel natural and suitable.
I'm sure you can.
Tritium transfer from FC's cargo to FC's fuel tank is definitely not one of them.
Ok...
I do know it now and that's why me (and others) are trying to raise this as a valid issue from gameplay perspective.
A bit like the EDO VR campaign then?
Is that really such a big problem for you that you have to try and downplay this?
Downplay? So I cannot hold a different opinion to you because it devalues your point? OK...

The beta for FCs demonstrated it perfectly, if my memory serves me well.

I'm sure you can.

Ok...

A bit like the EDO VR campaign then?

Downplay? So I cannot hold a different opinion to you because it devalues your point? OK...
Beta is exactly what it says: a beta. It was stated that it doesn't necesarily reflect the final product. So nothing was set in stone at that time. And I honestly didn't think FDev would go thorugh with such a ridiculous gameplay mechanic.

And you can of course have a different opinion. As can anyone else.

Last edited:
Beta is exactly what it says: a beta. It was stated that it doesn't necesarily reflect the final product. So nothing was set in stone at that time. And I honestly didn't think FDev would go thorugh with such a strange gameplay mechanic.
Indeed it was: there was a subsequent outcry over tritium use which caused Frontier to seriously reduce useage, but, oddly, at the time there was no outcry over the delivery mechanism, or at least not sufficient to warrant investigation. After all, on this forum 97.2% of topics are complaining about some trivia or another.
And you can of course have a different opinion.
Of course I can, it is all part of discussing topics, surely?

As you say:
Your opinion of the developer is jaded - your right...
Mine: They created a game I'm still having fun with over 5 years later - it is nowhere near "The perfect game", but I won't berate a developer who manages, even today, to have produced a game that still provides me with things I'd like to do. But, of course, I don't think "they should do XXX" or "They never did YYY", have had no worries that they aren't developing the game just for me. Perhaps that helps me to just play?

Indeed it was: there was a subsequent outcry over tritium use which caused Frontier to seriously reduce useage, but, oddly, at the time there was no outcry over the delivery mechanism, or at least not sufficient to warrant investigation. After all, on this forum 97.2% of topics are complaining about some trivia or another.

Of course I can, it is all part of discussing topics, surely?

As you say:

Your opinion of the developer is jaded - your right...
Mine: They created a game I'm still having fun with over 5 years later - it is nowhere near "The perfect game", but I won't berate a developer who manages, even today, to have produced a game that still provides me with things I'd like to do. But, of course, I don't think "they should do XXX" or "They never did YYY", have had no worries that they aren't developing the game just for me. Perhaps that helps me to just play?
So we can't do anything else to try and improve this game further? FDev always say they value feedback and whatnot. So we provide it. Yes, they manage the game till this day and that'w why it's the perfect reason to ask for adjustments.

If you decided that this game is "good enough" for you then so be it. Go and play it and enjoy it. Just accept the fact that 97,2% of people would like to change one thing or another. Trivial maybe for you, for others it might be important (your opinion isn't the only valid one).
After all, it wouldn't be the first time FDev changed some things based on player's feedback.

And unless it's an especially sensitive key element that would throw off the whole balance of the game then it can only improve gameplay for others.
Surely, you wouldn't mind if you could transfer tritium without having to involve your own ship each and every time?

Last edited:
Eh, its just a game, it doesn't HAVE TO BE PERFECT, or even completely logical, to be enjoyable...

This limitation is there because FDev made it that way...

One can get caught up in that or just gloss it over and move on...we all make out own choices...whether we see it that way or not...

Eh, its just a game, it doesn't HAVE TO BE PERFECT, or even completely logical, to be enjoyable...

This limitation is there because FDev made it that way...

One can get caught up in that or just gloss it over and move on...we all make out own choices...whether we see it that way or not...

There's objectively nothing enjoyable about having to transfer tritium via your own ship limited by the cargo space of that ship whenever you need to re-stock the depot. There are exactly 0 people who want this to work that way who aren't also wanting players to quit playing and the game to fail.

It's a sequence of actions that serve absolutely no logical purpose within the game universe, nor gameplay purpose as a player. It has no value whatsoever. It's just an arbitrary choice fdev made in how it was implemented that is easily illustrated as pointlessly involved and bad. Maybe there is a technical reason why it is done this way, but without such an explanation, the simplest reason for why it is the way it is is "cuz that's how they made it" ...which is a reason that places it in a category of things that can be changed and thus improved.

There's objectively nothing enjoyable about having to transfer tritium via your own ship limited by the cargo space of that ship whenever you need to re-stock the depot. There are exactly 0 people who want this to work that way who aren't also wanting players to quit playing and the game to fail.

It's a sequence of actions that serve absolutely no logical purpose within the game universe, nor gameplay purpose as a player. It has no value whatsoever. It's just an arbitrary choice fdev made in how it was implemented that is easily illustrated as pointlessly involved and bad. Maybe there is a technical reason why it is done this way, but without such an explanation, the simplest reason for why it is the way it is is "cuz that's how they made it" ...which is a reason that places it in a category of things that can be changed and thus improved.
"I" can't fix it, therefore I ignore it (the artificial limitation) and do what I need to do to get where I want to go...regardless of the lack of rational implementation or the futility or anything else...its all I have.

"I" can't fix it, therefore I ignore it (the artificial limitation) and do what I need to do to get where I want to go...regardless of the lack of rational implementation or the futility or anything else...its all I have.

i dont think anyone was suggesting that they were unable or refusing to play the game because of this issue. So pretty much everyone is doing what they need to do regardless of this problem (who have a carrier). They're just voicing it on the forum because that's what the forum is for. if nobody said anything about things that they feel should be changed because they had the ability to ignore or work around it then the rate of correcting / improving the situation would dramatically fall (in the scenario where those who can make such changes were inclined to make any changes at all). it's important to make the issues that matter to you or impact your day to day playing negatively are voiced frequently or it's liable to never be addressed. even the relatively small ones, because they're more likely to be fixed and many small things actually getting done is far more important to strive for than one or two big things that likely will never get done.

Top Bottom