UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
NAV BEACON.flac

Hey all, I decided to come to HR 1185 since it was the place the majority of free-floaters were found in 1.3. The place is mad, so many T-tauri whites with ring systems, a huge white star as the main star of the system, and a black hole. There are only two landable planets and I settled down on the one closest to the main star. First POI I came across was a Nav Beacon so I thought I'd record the audio just in case there was anything special about it.
I can't hear anything even vaguely resembling Morse. The thing sounds very weird indeed so I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is normal or not? Haven't payed attention to what noise they make in the past.

Either way this system is interesting and I will continue to explore the two landable planets for most of today probably.

Sounds like the B.R.O.K.E.N. Morse after a quick listen. Easiest ones to hear are - - - of the 'o' and - . - of the 'k'

NAV BEACON.flac

Hey all, I decided to come to HR 1185 since it was the place the majority of free-floaters were found in 1.3. The place is mad, so many T-tauri whites with ring systems, a huge white star as the main star of the system, and a black hole. There are only two landable planets and I settled down on the one closest to the main star. First POI I came across was a Nav Beacon so I thought I'd record the audio just in case there was anything special about it.
I can't hear anything even vaguely resembling Morse. The thing sounds very weird indeed so I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is normal or not? Haven't payed attention to what noise they make in the past.

Either way this system is interesting and I will continue to explore the two landable planets for most of today probably.

That sounds the same as others. The morse is there (and it actually sounds distinctly like morse rather than what the UA's strange version of it), but you might have to mentally filter out the humming and the static to hear the beeps (or use visualisation software that others use), and it is giving out the letters to BROKEN in a haphazard manner.

That's the whole point, it was on Galnet but it's been removed. Some people are suspecting Retcon.
I can still see it on the GalNet Android application.

Thu, 24. Dec 2015: Technical Issues spread to Maia
That's the one mentioning technical issues starting at Obsidian Orbital.

I can still see it on the GalNet Android application.

Thu, 24. Dec 2015: Technical Issues spread to Maia
That's the one mentioning technical issues starting at Obsidian Orbital.

ah interesting, it is not here on the web based one. It is there in game though I believe.

The main point though is the latest list of stations experiencing difficulties doesn't include it. The chances are it is just that they missed it off the list accidentaly and the browser based GalNet site is glitching out.

The chances are it is just that they missed it off the list accidentaly and the browser based GalNet site is glitching out.
That's my current assumption. With the timing it happened I at first suspected their site not being ready for the year switch, but as it still persists I think that's not the problem.

Hi
Mention of barnacle in latest patch update

The interesting thing is the wording of the mention.

'Shouldn't have to drive away from wrecks and Barnacles to recall ship'.

It's worded like someone already had found the barnacles and sent a bug report about the need to drive away before recall ship is available. Or they found out about it in internal testing and just used an everyday language.

Still interesting to me.

wrecks would indicate shiup wrecks which might indicate type 9s and or anacondas, or corvettes, cutters. Now where would we find those types of heavy duty wrecks. the mind boggles.

The interesting thing is the wording of the mention.

'Shouldn't have to drive away from wrecks and Barnacles to recall ship'.

It's worded like someone already had found the barnacles and sent a bug report about the need to drive away before recall ship is available. Or they found out about it in internal testing and just used an everyday language.

Still interesting to me.

Yeah I know right? Part of me can't help wondering if MB actually went out there to find one to confirm they are functioning in game, then found he couldn't call his ship down :p

Also my tinfoil hat is whispering to me, telling me the mention of them specifically in the patch update was a hint of some kind, but I don't know what kind, and it's most likely the spacemadness whispering to me.

Yeah I know right? Part of me can't help wondering if MB actually went out there to find one to confirm they are functioning in game, then found he couldn't call his ship down :p

Also my tinfoil hat is whispering to me, telling me the mention of them specifically in the patch update was a hint of some kind, but I don't know what kind, and it's most likely the spacemadness whispering to me.

Seems to ratify, that barnacles are planetside POI which are handmade and have fixed locations.

Last edited:

Out of rep, but was thinking this too. Though, I was thinking it might mean that the the Barnacle is like a "fixed crash site" POI, not found with a blue thing. I don't think I've had any issue recalling the ship from randomly generated wreckages.... but then thinking about it, it might be more down to the fact I haven't tried!

This is what happens, just like I alluded to months back, when you put objective-based content into fixed or random locations based on some ruleset, with no pathway to actually discover that thing.

UA's were exactly the same (sans mission). Months down the track they're easier to find now than Combat Stabilisers, and we still have no clue why they're in a 135-150LY shell around Merope, and have no indication as to why we should've been able to find them in the first place.

At this point I'm not sure there's no pathway to discovery.

Also we do have a theory, whether there's anything to it or not is another matter though. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195658&p=3373332&viewfull=1#post3373332

Aye but yeah it could just be as good as randomly placed.

(...) It's worded like someone already had found the barnacles and sent a bug report about the need to drive away before recall ship is available. Or they found out about it in internal testing and just used an everyday language.
(...)

I think it's more likely that someone discovered and filed the bug when finding a shipwreck and both (shipwrecks and barnacles) are using the same in game mechanics in this case...

Well, the most likely interpretation is probably, that barnacles are a certain kind of shipwreck ;)

Last edited:
Out of rep, but was thinking this too. Though, I was thinking it might mean that the the Barnacle is like a "fixed crash site" POI, not found with a blue thing. I don't think I've had any issue recalling the ship from randomly generated wreckages.... but then thinking about it, it might be more down to the fact I haven't tried!

I have never had trouble and I have tried so you may be right.
BUT the biggest point in all this is if they are fixed sites there MUST be some more information out there somewhere we haven't found yet.
Those fixed sites had GalNet local news stories to decode to tell the Lat/Long of them. Something similar must exist somewhere for the Barnacles if they really are a fixed POI or there really isn't much chance of finding them. Planets are big, and it's fine when you're relying on random generation of POI's because you'll hit the right one eventually.

I'm going to return to the bubble and search around the bases where the mission was given out, and then a few other places to see if there are any local news stories to do with them.

I think it's more likely that someone discovered and filed the bug when finding a shipwreck and both (shipwrecks and barnacles) are using the same in game mechanics in this case...
...Barnacles are really misshapen Thargoid wrecks!:eek:

Why would they call them 'Large' barnacles though? Are there small barnacles as well?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom