UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, fresh broken nav beacon :)

Can you scientists work it out ? Or what should I use to get those fancy spectro-colored analysis ? :p Audacity ?

[video=youtube_share;ijfW6ghfH3o]https://youtu.be/ijfW6ghfH3o[/video]

Last edited:
Hottice? Is that a typo? It's supposed to be Hotice, which doesn't come up in a search. Possibly it was renamed. I can't go there now, but the INRA base was on Hotice 1. Somewhere on the surface they had a domed base, this was the facility where the Mycoid antidote was stored. The facility was destroyed, so if it's still there it'd be nothing but debris by now.

Hotice is not in game. We searched a bit for it half a year ago. The old coordinate system is useless as well. It's only two coordinates and they don't align with any axis in the current system. A lot of systems have also moved relative to each other. Some to a totally different region.

The only place we have access to from the Thargoid story in FFE is Pleione 4. The two moon are off course gone, but there are two new rings. Perhaps the moons were demolished?

About POI placement...

Seems to me that we are over complicating the mechanics here.

Can we not just consider that a POI is nothing more than an object having certain locational metrics which determine it's static position.
It likely exists in some sort of database.

To create an entry in said database could (I guess) happen in three ways:
1) Manual entry (e.g. FDEV manually place the POI)
2) Procedural entry (e.g. created as part of planet generation)
3) Event driven (e.g. WHEN player_in_area TRIGGER create_poi)

It's evident that the vast majority of POI are type (3), and they are generated within an instance. If you Exit to Main Menu and then re-enter, most POI have vanished/moved. Some may be more specific than the instance (although it could be an instancing issue) e.g. both players in a wing are at a POI, but only one can see the canisters of tea.

In any case, other than specific placements, or procedural generation, POI are therefore volatile objects and their existence must be subject to a set of probabilities modified by various conditions (so for example, more chance of finding metals on a metal planet, more chance of finding extraterrestrial materials in a crater).

So to reliably find the barnacles, we must discover the conditions that increase their probability of spawning. As we know next to nothing about these barnacles we're a bit stumped, so we are resorting to random searches, which is fine I guess, but once we have found some we may be able to deduce the more likely conditions (e.g. if we found 10 on hot worlds and none on cold worlds, that MIGHT be an indication that they like it hot).

Well the discussion was more around how the static/persistent POIs I've seen have not appeared on ship radar, and the repercussions that may have for finding barnacles given the patch message today indicates the barnacles can be found at static POIs.

But as Squiggsy said, nothing is certain until we find them. I mean I guess it's possible Frontier have a flag where they can switch on/off ship radar visibility and it's just the two static POIs I've previously encountered happened to have that flag set. They were both "find" missions that provided a lat/long after all, so in those instances having the "downed ship" appear on ship radar would have reduced the challenge a bit.

Last edited:
thats what I've been trying to say since the patch came out before Christmas but everybody called me either impatient or negative

There's a big difference between stating something once and repeating it 3 times on a single forum page. I'm baffled by your apparent incapacity to understand that this is both annoying and unhelpful.
It's alright to be disillusioned when there is no progress, and no idea where to look or even what exactly to look for. But it doesn't help anybody when you go around commenting pretty much every idea with "won't work anyway, you're just wasting your time".
By doing so, all you achieve is dragging others down with you, and that is behaviour I find despicable, and that is why I asked you to keep your negativity to yourself.

Thanks to the INARA Website, I checked for CGs, that are UA and exploration related.
Sofar these are:

• 05 Jun 3301: The Grand Sirius Interstellar Expedition, Lembava
  • 03 Dec 3301: Mapping the cosmos: Planetary data, Lave
These missions don't call for a specific region to be searched. The only missions that give a list of systems are the two search expeditions for the Antares and Spaceflight One:

• 22 May 3301: The Hunt For Halsey, 200ly radius from Azaleach
  • 22 Dec 3301: Search for the highliner Antares, Wise 0855-0714,Talta,Epsilon Indi,Alpha Centauri,Luhman 16,Rigga,Wise 1639-6847,Luyten 205-128

So if the Barnacles/Meta Alloys can't be found in the 150ly bubble around Merope, they might be found in the 200ly bubble round Azaleach. Perhaps these barnacles were important enough to justify a detour on a highly diplomatic mission?

So, is it worth considering that these CG may be partly there to encourage exploration of certain areas of space, to get the barnacle rolling, so to speak...

I'm narrowing my search parameters based on the video trailer, which clearly shows what a Barnacle looks like from 0m 59s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWIJ-H-WxI

I therefore intend to search for POI on the dark side of moons very distant to the system sun. I'll keep you posted.

I recommend that instead of searching randomly, you pick a specific moon type or situation and search and repeat. This may aid as a method to eliminate certain search areas.
Just to make it clear, we do not know if those things in the trailer are barnacles. We should of course search for them, but until we know for sure we should not assume that they are the same things that appear in the in-game description and which are associated to meta-alloys. They may end up being that, but we just don't know yet.

There's a big difference between stating something once and repeating it 3 times on a single forum page. I'm baffled by your apparent incapacity to understand that this is both annoying and unhelpful.
It's alright to be disillusioned when there is no progress, and no idea where to look or even what exactly to look for. But it doesn't help anybody when you go around commenting pretty much every idea with "won't work anyway, you're just wasting your time".
By doing so, all you achieve is dragging others down with you, and that is behaviour I find despicable, and that is why I asked you to keep your negativity to yourself.

Well I've been out of the loop for a while but generally what was great about the UA threads is that we would embrace every idea put forward, however wacky, crazy or idiotic it might seem.

I mean yeah sure be critical and express that constructively if you want, but I think the UA search, Canonn and all that at it's core thrives on enthusiasm and for me I think it's great to encourage that above all, even if you personally think whatever is being suggested make no sense whatsoever!

It's really easy to get disillusioned and burn out sometimes, I definitely have, if that happens my advice would be to take a break and come back when something piques your interest.

Things are probably a bit worse now that they were though, this thread seems to move even faster that it used to and it can sometimes be a little frustrating when your suggestion seems to get and buried within the space of a few hours.

Last edited:
Ok ppl are suggesting dark sides of moon i think that is wrong.
In the trailer barnacle is in a very dark place. Dark sides of moons are fairly bright.
So i think Barnacles are in some deep canyon where its actually pitch black no background galaxy lighting.
Im gona search planets and moons with deep canyons.

Also another idea does anyone tried punting UA in wreaked ship site and see what happens

Last edited:
So, is it worth considering that these CG may be partly there to encourage exploration of certain areas of space, to get the barnacle rolling, so to speak...
I don't think the CGs that ran in May and June will be relevant, that's just been too long. The two CGs from December, might be worth a look though. The more likely one, in my opinion, would be "Mapping the Cosmos".

I don't think the CGs that ran in May and June will be relevant, that's just been too long. The two CGs from December, might be worth a look though. The more likely one, in my opinion, would be "Mapping the Cosmos".

The problem with this CG is, that it does not give any hint where the Barnacles are found. According to CG summary there where 5173 contributors. So apparently the Barnacles could be anywhere. The 200ly bubble around Azaleach would be roughly the same size as the UA Shell and it defines a specific area.

Of course, they could also be in Lave or the old world cluster, right under our noses.

Right so my sleuthing work turned up zilch, zip, nada. If only it were as easy as searching the stations the missions were received from and the stations closest to merope/the shell for news articles alluding to Barnacle hang-outs and speakeasies.

I think that line in the update was (intentionally or not) telling us that Barnacles are fixed POI's and we're not going to find them by searching randomly.
So until I think of some way to come up with where they may be, or someone else does, I think I'm going to get on with other stuff.

If anyone needs me I'll be trying to stay withing a few KLY's so I can return back and join the hunt when I get an itching to find some aliens again.

Has anyone tried punching a UA in the face?

In many movies, solutions are found by punching things (people, animals, etc) in the face. The UA seems to have a face, and therefore it can be punched there. Maybe it'll squeal and tell us what it knows. Or maybe punching it in the face will simply provide a sense of moral rectitude.

If that doesn't work - we could approach a UA nonchalantly and take up a position as though we are waiting to have our shoes shined by it, then hand over a £20 note and whisper "What's the word on the street, Johnny?"

If that doesn't work, back to punches in the face, repeatedly.

(It has to be in the face though, or it won't work. Right in the face)

So I'm lazy and at work and would completely understand it if you guys brushed me off...

..but what's the deal with barnacles? I looked over the OP for this thread, not the first three, and didn't see anything that stood out to me about them so I was left with some questions.

What are they? What is their importance to the UAs?

And as for UAs, I would assume they've been hit with every type of scanner, advanced, direct, wake, cargo that's available to us in-game, correct?

I think its safe to assume large barnacles are probably thargoid related since their ships resemble a barnacle.

I was searching planets between 135-150LY from Merope for barnacles.. but its still just too small.

My theory is that its a crashed Thargoid ship most likely, will be protected and it should reside in an impact crater that looks different than the regular craters.

On a side note...

The fact UA's make whale sounds though.. make me wonder why we haven't found one of these yet..

GWhaleprobe2.jpg

Last edited:

In many movies, solutions are found by punching things (people, animals, etc) in the face. The UA seems to have a face, and therefore it can be punched there. Maybe it'll squeal and tell us what it knows. Or maybe punching it in the face will simply provide a sense of moral rectitude.

If that doesn't work - we could approach a UA nonchalantly and take up a position as though we are waiting to have our shoes shined by it, then hand over a £20 note and whisper "What's the word on the street, Johnny?"

11/10 best suggestion on the whole thread.
I'll just crack out the trusty knuckledusters, no need to go easy on the thing, they've already shown they're tightlipped.

So I'm lazy and at work and would completely understand it if you guys brushed me off...

..but what's the deal with barnacles? I looked over the OP for this thread, not the first three, and didn't see anything that stood out to me about them so I was left with some questions.

And as for UAs, I would assume they've been hit with every type of scanner, advanced, direct, wake, cargo that's available to us in-game, correct?

"Large Barnacles" are mentioned in the meta-alloy commodity description. There is no definitive link between them and the UA, that's mostly supposition and conjecture on our part. It is all but confirmed that barnacles can be found in POIs (fixed or random) on planet surfaces. It has been theorized that the strange green glowing objects in the Horizons trailer is a barnacle.

All right, let's do this!!!

Em...

Which bit is the face?

Ok guys, fresh broken nav beacon :)

Can you scientists work it out ? Or what should I use to get those fancy spectro-colored analysis ? :p Audacity ?

https://youtu.be/ijfW6ghfH3o

The static is still a pain but playing it at half speed I think I got this much:

? B B N O B K B ? B O N B K ? N B E B K N ? N E B ? K K E ? R K ? E K ? ? ? ? ? - gave up around 1:37.

I certainly wouldn't rely on this - we need the sound engineers to remove the noise to be sure.

Nobody knows, apart from the description floating about. We assume that they are those doodimedallies one can see in the Horizons trailer starting at 58 secs in - have a look see.

That said, the amount of artistic/dramatic licence shovelled into the trailer is enormous. How much of that licence rubbed off on the visual tease as contained in said trailer remains to be seen. Hopefully not too much.......

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom