UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Merope itself could be what they are looking for. The tharg wiki (I think that's where) said they could make ships on the same scale as a planet.

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing. Ores are not metals. They are metal containing mineral mixtures so their melting points can be and usually are a lot higher than the metal you extract out of them. So, you actually can find some metal containing ores on planets without atmospheres with surface temps over 1000oC. Only the extremely high melting point and low vapor pressure ones though, others, such as titanium oxides would just instantly vaporize.

A great, and relevant, example of this is aluminum, which is smelted from bauxite ore (in a couple steps, but for the sake of brevity...). Which, well, once it's in the form of Al2O3 needs to be heated over 1000C to get aluminum. Where-as once it is aluminum, it melts around 650C.

There's really a lot more to it than that, but suffice it to say it's ridiculously more efficient to recycle aluminum than to make it from fresh bauxite...

A great, and relevant, example of this is aluminum, which is smelted from bauxite ore (in a couple steps, but for the sake of brevity...). Which, well, once it's in the form of Al2O3 needs to be heated over 1000C to get aluminum. Where-as once it is aluminum, it melts around 650C.

There's really a lot more to it than that, but suffice it to say it's ridiculously more efficient to recycle aluminum than to make it from fresh bauxite...

That's the reason I hated my metallurgy classes. Have a rep!

And why 50lbs of iron is next to worthless but 5lbs of soda cans usually gives you a pretty decent chunk of change at the scrap yard.

I just found a mining facility (hatch structure and a load of automated mining gadgets) on a vertical face of a needle peak at the bottom of a miles deep canyon. Tried shooting the gadgets and putting my belly to the rock face with the cargo hatch open, hoping the fragments would fall into the hatch. No dice.

I parked on a ledge nearby but there's no way to get the SRV there without rock climbing equipment.

It would be a bummer if a Barnacle spawned in a place like that - there for the taking and no way to take it.

I count:

30 B
34 R
39 O
25 K
30 E
22 N

05 H

Seems like it is broken, Even its morse code generator is broken. Totally seems random. The 5 H may effectively be mistake.

Yes, even as I wrote H, I considered it was B, the static was bad in places and blurred out the dah. I distinctly heard click di di dit.

But click could have been the back end of a dah. Hope this makes sense.

BTW, the funniest thing in the game for me is 'crystalline gold'. Gold is already a crystalline material, all metals are :D

I guess you have stretched a few steel rods in your days :)

To be fair the description says: 'previously unseen crystalline structure unlike other crystalline gold'.

So lets say someone finds a barnacle and loots its meta alloy - what do we get from it? The person may be able to sell it for a couple hundred k profit. There may be some alien looking wreckage. Then what? You think it'll lead to anything more?

Someone is going to find it soon.. I feel it in by bones.. You know why.. :)

Last edited:
I must say this awesome thread's population is becoming more and more amazing. We already had a NASA employee, Various Programmers, a couple of researcher, Morse experts, different kinds of Engineer: we were only missing the Material engineer!
We are very close to produce our custom Atomic Bomb here (paraphrasing recent news)...

Last edited:
I guess you have stretched a few steel rods in your days :)

To be fair the description says: 'previously unseen crystalline structure unlike other crystalline gold'.

Could it be a single crystal? I know that's a thing I've seen in materials science depts. where they use a fancy heater to grow single crystals (I'm not sure this is the right term) of materials.

(also, please try to keep the dirty talk out of this forum)

Last edited:
Here's a thought: What do the fragments from auto-miners look like on the wave scanner? Do they appear like Cargo Canisters (upper band) or Mineral/Metal (lower band). It seems whichever one it is, this is probably what Meta-Alloys would register as.

Could it be a single crystal? I know that's a thing I've seen in materials science depts. where they use a fancy heater to grow single crystals (I'm not sure this is the right term) of materials.

(also, please try to keep the dirty talk out of this forum)

Well, a crystal is a chunk of a "single" continuous lattice of atoms. AFIK you can't really get that with steel on any significant scale, so you end up with regions of different grains (Crystal lattices that don't quite match up due to inclusions and displacements and such). I don't know about gold though.

The wave scanner detects UAs.

No idea if that proves anything.

Could someone get a picture of the wave scanner scanning the UA?

That might give us a pattern/sound to look/listen for when searching for Meta's an Barna's :)

Edit: it looks like a standard canister :(

Last edited:
I'm a materials engineer and scientist, currently working to get my PhD. I specialize on surface modification techniques such as hard, wear resistant coatings. We also grow diamond in the lab but as 50 micron thick films over molybdenum so I don't know what we'll do with them :)

Metal foams are a real thing too, see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_foam

I didn't know the 'Meta-Alloy' description from the wiki. It looks like they took this wikipedia article I linked and went to town with it :D

Ten points for contributing to humanity's collective awesomeness.

I just found a mining facility (hatch structure and a load of automated mining gadgets) on a vertical face of a needle peak at the bottom of a miles deep canyon. Tried shooting the gadgets and putting my belly to the rock face with the cargo hatch open, hoping the fragments would fall into the hatch. No dice.

I parked on a ledge nearby but there's no way to get the SRV there without rock climbing equipment.

It would be a bummer if a Barnacle spawned in a place like that - there for the taking and no way to take it.

I must say this awesome thread's population is becoming more and more amazing. We already had a NASA employee, Various Programmers, a couple of researcher, Morse experts, different kinds of Engineer: we were only missing the Material engineer!
We are very close to produce our custom Atomic Bomb here (paraphrasing recent news)...

IRL I'm a rock climbing guide
:)

I'm a mech engineer at Lockheed, I work on real spacecraft :) Recently transferred from Orion to a satellite program.

The meta-alloy's comparison to foamed aluminum was funny to me. Foamed metals can certainly be used for many things, but we primarily used foamed aluminum to absorb energy caused by impacts from explosive bolts and such. So, by definition, it's not that strong-- at least not by itself without some kind of face-sheet to make a composite.

I'm not as smart as Cynaqq though. I tip my hat to you sir.

I'm a mech engineer at Lockheed, I work on real spacecraft :) Recently transferred from Orion to a satellite program.

The meta-alloy's comparison to foamed aluminum was funny to me. Foamed metals can certainly be used for many things, but we primarily used foamed aluminum to absorb energy caused by impacts from explosive bolts and such. So, by definition, it's not that strong-- at least not by itself without some kind of face-sheet to make a composite.

I'm not as smart as Cynaqq though. I tip my hat to you sir.

My little brother interned with Lockheed last summer. I don't remember doing what though, but something with the satellite propulsion. Very cool stuff.

I am just a lowly manufacturing engineer. I ram carbide and steel into more spinning steel things for jet planes.

Which, a lot of aerospace steel is just fancy Nickle.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom