UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Player groups get attached to stations, why not petition there to be station communication? Limited forum but in game. Be nice to send updates of science and exploration as in game notes. Immersive. Mini canonn galnet.

Might get something like this possibly with the player group management stuff that's rumoured to be coming in. Whether that extends to minor factions, too, who knows. We can use local Galnet feeds but, obviously, they're, uh, local.

Aye. The UA always does a 2/3 purr cycle on initial release (it's not obvious due to the player being far away it's jettisoned and they are manuevering into position) while UA integrity is 100-99%.

This is why the free-floaters always run a continuious 2-3 purr per cycle and never switch into 5-7 purr mode. Essentially they are "stuck" at 100% integrity.

I remember all the instance problems we'd have with some CMDRs seeing the UA at 100% while others would see it at say 50%.

Since none of it was every reproducible my conclusion was instancing issues causing weird problems.

This behavioral difference in the UAs between "free floating"/100% integrity and "scooped and dropped"/<100% integrity is what makes me strongly believe there will be a similar difference in behavior in the UP, and that's where we'll find the additional part of the message.

Last edited:
Nope. He said the pointing is deliberate. Not in which direction.

10/08/2016 10:19 AM
Q:So they just point to the centre of the planet ,was hoping they would point towards a crater or valley or something ,like iron filings with a magnet do. .......oh well:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Michael Brookes (Source)
Nope - it the UP just points to the planet.

Michael

So MB says we haven't solved all of the UP transmission.
maybe the spectrograph is a translation tool for the noises it makes.
my other theory is that the UP transmission is distorted because it has been scooped already.
i do t think this mystery is going anywhere until we find a pristine Free Floating UP.

also on MBs comment regarding the UA transmission
I think it is passing the information of our ships to another location
as they point at Merope star they must be transmitting this info here but why and to what.

Il say it again commanders Free Floating UPs will blow this wide open.

This behavioral difference in the UAs between "free floating"/100% integrity and "scooped and dropped"/<100% integrity is what makes me strongly believe there will be a similar difference in behavior in the UP, and that's where we'll find the additional part of the message.

On UA/UP behaviour....

I do not think the UP behaviour of a free-floater (if different) will be of any significance unless the yellow head strips are lit.

Like these yellow strips :

uc

They light up specifically during the period the UA is morsing, in other words they only light up during the signal period.

When a UP is sitting there idling these strips stay completely dark.

It's hard to get a decent video of a UP running its burst but I'm pretty sure the strips will light during the burst period.

Point being those strips appear to be an indicator of some signal.

So as regards UP behaviour I have no idea but I think if/when we find something, I think lit strips will be the indicator.

Last edited:
At first I was thinking he was wrong, but now I see his point. What he's saying is that they are breadcrumbs. Let's say there were 10 UPs in a line originally - each one communicating with the other. All of them are pointing at Merope because they're in a straight line, but if you move one (like the Fed convoys did), they'll still point at Merope but the other end just won't be pointing to it's original destination. If there are free floaters, they might be orientated in a straight line pointing at Merope, with the other end pointing at the system where the next UP is found. So if we find free floaters, you could follow them both to Merope and to wherever the breadcrumb line of free floaters points to.

Edit: That is speculation though. Until someone finds a free floater, there is no way to confirm this.

Easy to prove, then - UPs should be available in a line of systems in the wild. But it would require systems which are in exact alignment along that line from merope to wherever - there could be no deviation from that line, because all UPs/UAs always point at Merope from outside the system.

So basically it doesn't make any sense. They wouldn't need the ability to reorient themselves if they were intended to be deployed in perfect alignment from the get go, because as soon as one of them did, the whole chain would break down.

We know there's more to the image to understand, and we know there are 'wild' UPs out there to find - these are known unknowns and therefore where our collective mental effort should be deployed.

After todays comments from MB it is clear that we are missing a part of the message.

Maybe the message contains more than just the picture in the audio file when honked at. Maybe a part of the message is not in 'audio' but in something else?
Or maybe there is another way to trigger a response from the UP we didn't discover yet?

Last edited:
Given that it has been stated that the location of Unknown Probes is logical in hindsight I suspect they will only be found in systems with specific properties (probably a rare planet type) probably at somepoint within the Unknown Artefact sphere.

It would be useful to have confirmation from the Devs that they have confirmed that free floaters are spawning like they should though in case there is a bug and they are not spawning

Or maybe everything we need is already in the image and needs more thought. To the left and right of the 'sphere' are shapes resembling incomplete circles and the left in particular looks to have more detail.

At first I was thinking he was wrong, but now I see his point. What he's saying is that they are breadcrumbs. Let's say there were 10 UPs in a line originally - each one communicating with the other. All of them are pointing at Merope because they're in a straight line, but if you move one (like the Fed convoys did), they'll still point at Merope but the other end just won't be pointing to it's original destination. If there are free floaters, they might be orientated in a straight line pointing at Merope, with the other end pointing at the system where the next UP is found. So if we find free floaters, you could follow them both to Merope and to wherever the breadcrumb line of free floaters points to.

Edit: That is speculation though. Until someone finds a free floater, there is no way to confirm this.

It is very dificult to get anything on a line in 3D space. In particular if you only have access to small parts of that space.

In Merope, the only stable point between M5c and another body is the lagrange point(L1) with M5.

In the galaxy you would be lucky if you found 3 systems on a line. I doubt it excists at all.

Yep...

And yep....

Also: MB confirms that the sonograph is a key...

What is the lock?

I know it sounds so obvious and trite, but the right questions often do.

If not a lock as in a physical thing, then a key to decode something else... what?

Perhaps whatever is hidden on Merope5C?

Easy to prove, then - UPs should be available in a line of systems in the wild. But it would require systems which are in exact alignment along that line from merope to wherever - there could be no deviation from that line, because all UPs/UAs always point at Merope from outside the system.

So basically it doesn't make any sense. They wouldn't need the ability to reorient themselves if they were intended to be deployed in perfect alignment from the get go, because as soon as one of them did, the whole chain would break down.

We know there's more to the image to understand, and we know there are 'wild' UPs out there to find - these are known unknowns and therefore where our collective mental effort should be deployed.

It is very dificult to get anything on a line in 3D space. In particular if you only have access to small parts of that space.

In Merope, the only stable point between M5c and another body is the lagrange point(L1) with M5.

In the galaxy you would be lucky if you found 3 systems on a line. I doubt it excists at all.

Agreed - I was trying to clarify what the other person was implying (like 3 or 4 pages back by now).

I looked over the first page but not the previous threads. What if the canisters on the UA are empty? Has anyone gathered enough meta alloys for the number of canisters on the UA and either dropped them on it in space or put them and a UA in the cargo hold? Maybe the UA turns into a UP when they are full.

That would make sense "after discovery" and be easier than hunting convoys, two of MB's comments, and one would be a more advanced version of the other - I think that comment was somewhere in there too.

Me likey. I've postulated for some time that the UP was an evolved form of the UA, but alas I've not gotten far enough in the grind to get to Palin yet.

On UA/UP behaviour....

I do not think the UP behaviour of a free-floater (if different) will be of any significance unless the yellow head strips are lit.

https://drive.google.com/uc?view=export&id=0B8ck-2ELKOuLU0xNYTV2aFJTdGs

They light up specifically during the period the UA is morsing, in other words they only light up during the signal period.

It's hard to get a decent video of a UP running its burst but I'm pretty sure the strips will light during the burst period.

So as regards UP behaviour I have no idea but I think if/when we find something, I think lit strips will be the indicator.
I've looked at many videos of the UP EMP playback and haven't seen those areas light up. Do you have any links to video that does show those areas being active?

On UA/UP behaviour....

https://drive.google.com/uc?view=export&id=0B8ck-2ELKOuLU0xNYTV2aFJTdGs

I know there is something to be found with those lights.
That's why I made some tests and discovered a duration difference when on ground or in space.
I also asked you to give it a shot some pages back (prob flushed away due to forum speed).

Alright CMDRs.
After some thoughts and theories I figured it might be some time for analysis again.
I thought about what helped us solving the UA riddle and if there were other hints, that could have led us in this direction.
So I watched different UA videos and noted the uptime of the UA lighting during its howl.

http://i.imgur.com/5D3qfbw.jpg

UA on ground

- Merope 2D (32.1019, -35.9477) 16 sec
- Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 1, 20.86 by 91.86 (next to Barnacle) 34 sec

UA in space

HYADES SECTOR HW-W C1-12 25 sec
Seega Port 14 sec
THFC-EST 1882 19 sec

With the solution already known, I guess the differences vary due to the scanned ship and body.
Now i was curious if there is something to be found watching the UP as well (having in mind MBs comment about different purposes of both).
Here is what I found

http://i.imgur.com/eYae6Du.jpg

UP on ground
Merope 5c 12 sec
(unfortunately there is only 1 usable video, as the other ground test was more focused on the EMP and Mhyres ground video had only sound)

UP in space

Ross 47 A8 23 sec

Ross 47 A8 with UA present 23 sec

Sol -Earth 23 sec

Ross 47 (Educating Ed) 20 sec
SPF-LF 1 1 (Educating Ed) 20 sec

Results:

The ground result is vague, due to missing sources but the duration is remarkebly shorter than in space.
The space results seemed to be consistent until yesterdays episode of Educating Ed.
(maybe because they were given from devs to Ed instead of being collected as the others?)
But again, the duration is definitely longer than on the ground.
As far as I can tell the distance from Merope is not a factor influencing the light duration (meaning no homeworld finder).

So why is the lighting duration on a planet nearly half as short as in space?
Is it a rangefinder once on the ground?
Does it light up shorter as we get nearer to its receiving station?
I need more data to prove or disprove this.
If it is not, why does the duration change then?

So I am asking a favor for more visual ground recordings, with varying distances from barnacles to begin with, as they are our best reference points so far.
Or I am asking for a high five. In the face. With a chair. when I made a mistake in my research :D

On a side note (and less less important):

Anyone noticed that only one portion of the UP lights up during the EMP startup sequence but not the other?
(The one facing away from Merope)

And that the scooping picture of the UP is showing an UA? ( lazy devs :p )

Thank you for your attention CMDRs!

I've looked at many videos of the UP EMP playback and haven't seen those areas light up. Do you have any links to video that does show those areas being active?

Nope.

I am just assuming they light on the burst.

THis is my job for tonight, to get footage of a bursting UP...

1) To see the strips light (if they do)
2) To try to determine if the head flashing during the burst has some morse signal encoded

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I also asked you to give it a shot some pages back (prob flushed away due to forum speed).

Sorry give what a shot?

Last edited:

Hmm, btw: maybe something happens to UA when you scan UP (or otherwise)? Like for example some lights are going on/off. If UA is far away from UP then it would need faster than light for information for simultaneous reaction, but who knows. Maybe they are in quantum entanglement state or sth...

Last edited:

I have a feeling that this is part of the reason we have not found any free floaters. I doubt they are strong signal sources, like the UA. They don't do the long range transmission.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom