UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Greetings CMDR's... here's a question that may or may not has already been asked before, but did anyone try to bring an UA to Merope or any other system in the Pleiades Nebula to make it pinpoint the origin further down? It may be possible that the UA will align itself further and reveal additional coordinates like for example, if deployed inside a system like Merope...wouldn't it be possible that it'll align itself to a moon/planet there? Excuse me if this has already been asked, but I was just wondering since I searched for such info and haven't found anything that would relate to that.

I asked the same two days ago: it seems that UA still point the star, even if dropped into Merope system...

Installations all do appear on the radar, but Major Crash sites DO NOT, and they have been lumped together with barnacles as a "type of POI" by the comment in the release notes.

Ok, thank you. Not sure why nobody just said this in the first place, would have made things a lot simpler :p

I keep looking at those 7 markings on the UAs head too, but so far I can't sort it into anything meaningful. I'm sure it represents the 7 Sisters though, and perhaps describes a paper chase- if we can associate the right stars to the right markings we get the right order.

BTW - @DynamicBob - it's been a few pages since you last spammed the thread to sell UAs in Maia. Maybe you'd like to pop up another one so we can all ignore it, and/or put up another counterpost to remind everyone that the Canonn are not condoning selling UAs to stations?

fell off my chair

@DrDeathLexx - that's already been done, they still point towards Merope (star)

I see. So all the UA did was pinpoint towards the star inside the system and not towards any planet itself. Glad that's out of the question then since it crossed my mind. It would've been insane if it actually pinpointed towards a planet...would make the search much easier except that there's still a whole planet to reveal and search for. I'm currently in Merope on 2B inside a large impact crater... nothing of significance found except a few crashed satellites and crashed ship debris. Also locally trying to reach any CMDR's nearby who keep searching.

slashgoh; said:
I think that when blue circle appears, the item is placed on the surface and than drawed

My own experiance shows that you do need to spawn the object by flying/moving close to it first. I have seen buildings pop in fron of my eyes 3-5km away, then I was able to see them up to 10km away, but not before.

Last edited:
Agreed, but a firm link to the mystery would be nice - all we have here is a random screenshot with no context.

Having said that, googling 'Pleiades PR5' leads to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_of_the_Cthulhu_Mythos

The PR5 entry leads to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyarlathotep

View attachment 93997

Looks like a barnacle to me - mystery solved, I'm going to chill out in my padded room!

Man, you might be onto something. I understand that Brookes is a fan of Lovecraft. I also looked up PR5 and it references Kadath. Is there a Kadath star in game? In Lovecraft it is a place in the dream realm.

PR5 was an RPG adventure book, those other references might refer to paragrahps etc.

However, that's going a bit far, i can't believe Brookes would expect us to go digging up old RPG manuals.... the PR5 Lovecraft reference is too much out of game for it to be viable i think. There has to be an in-game solution, even if it requires out of game tools to decode (like the code produced by the UA).

My own experiance shows that you do need to spawn the object by flying/moving close to it first. I have seen buildings pop in fron of my eyes 3-5km away, then I was able to see them up to 10km away, but not before.
It is possible that different graphic hardware, memory and configuration could lead to different experiences...
Anyway, the matter is about no blue circle related POIs...

Michael Brookes

Game Director
What if that was a barnacle, but there was just nothing interesting about it? Maybe we've found what we were looking for this whole time and it was so underwhelming we just ignored it and kept looking?

Man... That'd suck.

I think you'll notice one if you're nearby.

And to those asking why nebulae - it's quite logical if you think about it :)

Michael

Oh yeah I know, I'm just saying sometimes they don't even render until I get somewhat close to them.

Also, to be clear, I already look around for things as well as use the radar, but all of the installations I've seen will also show up on the radar.

The random POIs that show up on the radar probably need to be closer than 8km to trigger. I probably was closer in the case of those two last night. My point is that if I can see small installations from that distance without the benefit of radar then finding fixed POIs that way is entirely doable.

Maybe what he meant is that PR5 doesn't actually have anything to do with Nyarlathotep/Cthulu, it's just a reference code in the wikipedia article.

The PR5 reference refers to this row in the Wiki page:
Alskali: Hairless, cyclops-like hypnotic beings with dead-gray skin and huge hands and feet. They are servants of Nyarlathotep. AL, PR5

This is tongue-in-cheek though.
The Pleiades reference on the same page isn't linked to the PR5 reference, but it does demonstrate how the ideas on this thread can be jumped on regardless of how far-fetched they are.

I'm all about the in-game clues - the Log Entry is in-game, I just want to know more about it.

I think you'll notice one if you're nearby.

And to those asking why nebulae - it's quite logical if you think about it :)

Michael

Heavy/metallic elements at a guess.- gives the raw materials to go from being individual metals to producing meta-alloys.

Clarifying via quote below...

Last edited:
</lurk>
I think Michael may be referring to the fact that nebulae often contain large amounts of organic compounds. Barnacles don't just feed from the nebula - they are born from it!

Well, that's a theory that's been running around my head for some time now anyway.

<lurk>

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom