UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Really?! Well... that's the first question we asked ourselves after discovering it :D
Nav Beacons are a good guess, btw...

I'm a week old UA researcher, just started a short while ago :p

You mean they learned from nav beacons, or they ARE nav beacons ?

The answer is simple.. they (whoever they are) are looking for the guy who owes them money. So they scan until they find the right ship. It's always that.

- "Hey.... I was just going to see your leader. Tell him I have his money"
"Too late for that, Solo... player."
- "But this time, I HAVE the money"
"If you give it to me, I might forget I found you"
- "I don't have it *with* me... Tell..."
"He's through with you! He has no time for players who jettison their cargo at the first sign of an Imperial Interdictor!"
- "Even I get interdicted sometimes.."
"Tell that to The Leader. He might only take your ship"
- Over my dead body....

[in a major break with tradition, the alien shoots first, and the conversation ends..]

Just had my first ever hard crash of the client (whole pc locked up) while approaching an interesting looking poi in a large crater (with a mountain inside said crater) on Merope 2a. I know some others have had this happen - hope barnacles don't crash the client :p
2a has my interest as it's so near the planets rings - surface shows signs of some sort of tectonic activity as well, so hoping for "mist" in the craters.

As long as they had a handy morse code to English translation sheet lying about and a list of all of our names for the star systems to be able to make sense of the outputs, of course.

Yeah I'm starting to get bored of the search.

Why would they need a translation sheet? For all we knew they call Sol Boopdeboo. The Code just means the same thing and how we translate it in to our own language is another matter.

It's a bit like me pointing to my mouth and you handing me a biscuit. I then rub my tummy and look happy. Who needs English anyway...

Yeah that's already annoying. How hard would it have been to have a simple binary numeric code?
But morse is actually more efficient than binary, since it includes three states (dot, dash and silence). So if anything I'd argue morse makes more sense than binary, no less.

As to why the UAs know morse, we don't know yet, but let's not bash the devs until we have more of the mystery unraveled. It may well be that they have decoded morse from our nav beacons and are trying to use it to communicate with us in a language we understand, or it may be that the UAs are partially human in origin... perhaps something to do with the early spacefarers referred by Braben as "the lost ones" if memory serves.

We just don't know yet.

Hello CMDRs! CMDR Joelioto here. I've also joined in on the search for these barnies. Has anyone thought that they may be fairly easy to spot in the dark sides of planets? If they do emmit a green light like shown in the trailer then wouldn't it be similar to spotting a POI outpost or mining field during the night. I find it the lights of these POI make them much easier to spot when flying. Also my feeling is a field of barnacles should be spottable from a few KM up. While MB stated they are too small to be seen from orbital height, that doesn't mean they are tiny rock sized structures either. Maybe between the size of a crashed ship?

I'm a week old UA researcher, just started a short while ago :p

You mean they learned from nav beacons, or they ARE nav beacons ?

Learned.
But that's an assumption, as everything else in here ;)

IMO it's FD reply to our speculations about the morse origin, and that's why they started spreading crashed Nav Beacons all over the place :D

So I took another UA down to Merope 1 A and the signal defintely does change from the signal in space. However, the whale sound does not seem to mark the beginning or endof the message, as the code is not the same in between each.

There is also code being transmitted while the whale sound is played which makes it difficult to isolate. Any recommended tools for the task?

changes how? got a recording you can show?
You can use several tools. Audacity, Sonic Visualizer, or even some video editing programs. I use Premiere to speed it up and listen to the purr hi/lo notes.

Its an outpost Point of Interest. Its a data point type (you can also get cargo canisters)

If you land, deploy the SRV, target the scanner and use one of your equipped scanners you will get some cash off it in the form of an intel package.

They are common

Oh, thanks! The strange thing for me was that I get gravity lock all the way up till I reached 20km. In other placec I can jump from 4-5 km already...well thanks again anyway!

Why would they need a translation sheet? For all we knew they call Sol Boopdeboo. The Code just means the same thing and how we translate it in to our own language is another matter.

It's a bit like me pointing to my mouth and you handing me a biscuit. I then rub my tummy and look happy. Who needs English anyway...

Which is a fine explanation until it comes to explaining how they manage to do things like know our alphabet goes A B C D E..., for example.

Hey folks, I have a question. Have you enough slot to bring on board

SRV hangar
Module to land
the two type of scanners
shields
fuel scoope

Because my wing and i had to abandon our shields (and not the best for landing) in order to be able to take the other modules.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
But the fact that these barnacles can be found in other nebulae, that more than one location has been hand placed, etc. proves that the UAs are not pointing at Merope because of the barnacles. The barnacles are another clue in the big puzzle, not the end of the puzzle. There is still no logical reason to focus the barnacle search in Merope. Every landable planet in the Pleiades has just as much chance of containing the hand placed fixed POI as the planets in Merope, and Merope has already been searched the most.

This is good thinking.

Michael

I just realised something... If UAs are alien, why would they transmit in morse code ? That's a 100% human made language...

Looks like while you were posting that I was typing an answer to a post from another CMDR which attempts to answer that question. Charge your FSD and click here to jump!

Hello CMDRs! CMDR Joelioto here. I've also joined in on the search for these barnies. Has anyone thought that they may be fairly easy to spot in the dark sides of planets? If they do emmit a green light like shown in the trailer then wouldn't it be similar to spotting a POI outpost or mining field during the night. I find it the lights of these POI make them much easier to spot when flying. Also my feeling is a field of barnacles should be spottable from a few KM up. While MB stated they are too small to be seen from orbital height, that doesn't mean they are tiny rock sized structures either. Maybe between the size of a crashed ship?
Go for it.
Glowing bright enough to see from 2km is your assumption
Even being rendered at all from 2km is an assuption

I am looking from those sorts of heights (so far in the light), but there are no guarentees

Well, I'm going to join the search again tonight now work is over.
This hunt for Barnacles is driving me insane but I am reluctant to give up because of either my obsessive nature or my awesome determination (I prefer to think the latter.... :) )

What is our best guess based on the info? - because it seems as if there are a gazillion theories flying around here and as much as I was keeping up, I am now a barnacle. And by Barnacle I mean lost.

Edit: Is there group of people searching in game I can join without going through the hassle of team speak?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom