UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Riz@l pointed me to a spreadsheet where this data has been gathered (linked to in post #3 of this thread). It certainly cuts down the number of systems to search.

That's my point - I've been to many of the named systems and when you're there, they don't actually seem to be in the nebula.
Whereas, it doesn't list Pleiades Sector system that on Galaxy Map inspection seem to be right in the gas field - some close to Maia and Merope for example.

Sorry, there are several lists in #3 - depends which one you look at. Even the spreadsheet is debatable, 'in the nebula' seems to be a debatable and nebulous concept ;)

Last edited:
Thinking logically about Mr Brookes' latest comment...

If we were searching for a PPOI then absolutely 'location is key' .... but i'm interpreting that basically he's saying '1 planet is as good as any other in the appropriate conditions', So Merope isn't the only place, but it is a place...
Assuming we're talking the Pleides for now ... and we're dealing with normal POI then in essence we're playing a pure probablity game with spawning POI in which case its an eyeballs + time = results thing... ie a RNG occurance
Unless they've placed 100's on a single planet in which case there'd be a better chance on that planet

I understand that UA's may not be related to barnacles, but has anyone tried:

While carrying a UA, you get interdicted by a pirate saying something like "I've come a long way for what's in your hold" and you jettison the UA for him. Then follow him... assuming he doesn't keep shooting at you.

Because he's essentially saying "yes the UA's aren't connected to the Barnacles" which means the only logical reasoning we had in the first place for looking at the Pleiades for Barnacles was wrong. Which means that either there are clues we missed (in which case I would be happy and would very much like to search for them) or we were expected to blunder along on some vague reasoning with pretty much no in game lore to back anything up. In which case it is the laziest of game developments and I can't get behind it in any way. I can't feel connected to a hunt for something when the best hints we have got are from a game developer on the forums going "whoops looks like i made this too hard better drop them some hints" instead of taking the time to write a GalNet post and broadcast those hints in a way that is friendly to in game lore and positive for those of us who like some immersion. GalNet is literally there for these kinds of things and it's just been ignored and I find that really illogical.

I do not agree. He did not say that. The UA still points to Merope that is a relevant star inside the Nebula where are being "placed".
The only clear thing I take from MB comment is that Merope is not the one and only where to look. The UA could be pointing at it just because some event will take place there, while the Nebula is still all around, as a nice place for the Barnacles to grow.

There is still a connection between UAs and in my mind.

Started my search in Maia B1B, guys... I have a bad feeling about that moon...

8JwSU1y.jpg

That's my point - I've been to many of the named systems and when you're there, they don't actually seem to be in the nebula.
Whereas, it doesn't list Pleiades Sector system that on Galaxy Map inspection seem to be right in the gas field - some close to Maia and Merope for example.

It's possible that the data isn't accurate, in which case you can report it to the spreadsheet owner (there's a link on the page).

They can spawn in either.

Michael

This is good... I had almost given up searching from the ship.

I'm guessing the main difference is in the ship you have a visual advantage but no scanner and are faster (if you don't crash into everything) all providing you're in a planetary instance not SC/OC. The SRV is slower, harder to get around but has the scanner advantage.

That sums it up?

EDIT: Also while you're in the thread any confirmation or disproval that the ship acts like a compass given magnetic forces which is what causes it to be unstable and wobble and follow certain paths when in planetary instance just after dropping out of OC?

Last edited:
I spent many hours last night surveying the largest looking crater on MAIA A7

Nice green mist, although probably caused by the star.

[video=youtube_share;zT7WASr1SWY]https://youtu.be/zT7WASr1SWY[/video]

Now this is intriguing! I have been at KN MUSCAE as there is only one landable planet in the middle of that nebula, 100% metal content, though a bit hot, but looking interesting.

However, when down on the surface I looked up and saw a planet's silhouette that wasn't registered when I scanned with the advanced scanner.

I am currently flying towards this and am sitting at 2 million LS and it has not got any bigger, or moved in relation to the stars behind. It could just be a graphical glitch. It is very visible sitting against the nebula and anyone else who comes out here will see it without bother.

I doubt it's Raxxla, if that is a planet it must be huge! I'm going with glitch.

what the flip.jpg

Hello... I am new to this thread, so I don't know if this has already been discussed (probably has) but have you guys ever tried to listening to black holes? I just came across this by accident and decided I had to record it. The sounds are eerily similar to those of Unknown Artifacts don't you think? This is a black hole from the NGC 7822 Nebula. Check this out.

[video=youtube;S6mskk5zs9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mskk5zs9k[/video]

Btw folk asking about good explorer ships - my FAS is working great - but I strongly suspect a gunship would be even better (had one before, and it was nice, just a little restricted for my normal multi role use). When I get back to civilization I'll see if I can make one up with dual srv, both scanners, cargo hold and a good weapons loadout for trouble on planets.

If they don't know the order of the letters how did they manage to make the ship diagrams?

As above, they'd only need to intercept a tiny handful of Morse messages any time & anywhere, which include all 26 symbols in order and with each symbol featuring exactly once, and they could deduce that's the correct ordering. So ultimately aliens somewhere might be looking at a graph, but instead of A, B, C written along the axes they'd have ".-", "-..." and "-.-.".

Ultimately it's much of a muchness, they would need to intercept a correct alphabet somewhere in order to plot those schematics. But they wouldn't necessarily need to have any understanding of what those symbols represent - what we see as the Morse for "A" they might think of as "1", hence their use on the plot axes.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom