UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Thanks to NetSlayer's audio recording, here are the notes of the UP honk (or howl):

(G4) (A4) (E4) - (D4) (G4) (D4) - -- (E3)

It's a very clear song. very nice to play on Piano. For the exact keys, I'll wait a more expert musician, as I play only by ear ;)
Anyway, the third and sixth notes are longer than the other notes, then there is a longer pause (--) before the last low E3.
It is very similar to Close Encounters notes, but different in some way (there we have 5 notes, here they are 7).

It definitely sings, and much better than the UA, I could say... ;)

I hope this gets verified. Based on the hints we have gotten on the forum and ingame from NPCs, I think there is a coded message in the UP sound.

I also think the message is in the Honk, this time.

Jaques noticed a problem "as soon as he entered witchspace"...and dropped out in the nearest safe system, which is 22,000LY away? Erm...

Well he had mentioned before he didn't know how long he was in there, so his concept of time probably got all screwy.

I think something is definitely up with Jaque and his star port though. It's just too bizarre that he makes contact with whoever "they" are, then pops out everything being business as usual and makes no further mention of it. Meanwhile Halse who made contact with the same (I would assume) entities is institutionalized, and couldn't stop raving about it!

Last edited:
At the moment, i'm not feeling that we are (players and the community ) are making any progress in any direction.
We are jumping at the slightest "maybe discovery" just to realize it is either a dead end, cannot be proved, cannot be accomplished by a reasonable amount of players involved and/or within a (at least) reasonable amount of time.

Somewhere at the FDev Offices, is somebody sitting at his desk, and is either crying or laughing. Not saying it is MB. I don't know.

We do not have any leads or are on a track of some kind. At least none of what we know of.

I don't want to be presented with a solution ! Absolutly not. But i would like to be guided (or the community as it is) by ingame hints. However those may look like. Dropping a single sentence/statment in a Forum is not what i mean. (or would even expect!)

Currently, everything is over-analyzed. If somebody from Fdev would drop something like "Not feeling well, i got a cold" - this would be good for another 20 Pages in this thread, and probably all possible (and impossible) connections to in-game things would be made. Of course the now famous "winter is coming" would add another 20 pages. In the end, just somebody got a Cold. Period. As easy as it is. (just as an example of how almost desperatly we are jumping on everything served to us)

Today then i learned that "Pen & Paper" is not good enough anymore ? (or maybe it is, who knows ? )

To that "somebody who is either laughing or crying at FDev" :

If this community, your community of Elite Dangerous, is unable by now, to make progress, any progress with the tiniest steps forward, than it is definetely not the fault of this community. Because it already proved how capable and dedicated they are.

In the end this will lead to people who are:

experts for the earth barnacles and their mating behaviour on earth
experts for whale sounds, and can probably communicate with dolphins in the local aquarium
experts for trajectory of stars and planets
experts in figuring out how tight a searching grid for a large scale search mission would have to be
experts in mathematics of all kind
well educated signalman
knowing every singel pixel and any stone on merope5C
.... and so on and so on ..

However - they will at the moment, most likely not succeed in discovering whatever there is, or making any progress in the right direction. (let alone knowing what the right direction might be)

And after the next few month, somebody will tell us "well it was actually meant like this, however 'you' did not discover it, though we diverted the plot to something, somewhere else.

Or even worse: we will eventually be presented with a clue, and realize that hundreds of pages of theories are completly worhtless, because we just made the wrong assumption, walked of to thousand different directions, with a million ideas, all backed by just a few bread crumbs in a galaxy of 400Billion objects. In your face, community.... it was just as easy, you just did not understand where we pointed you.
(or the next "steps" are not really there, contratry to what was communicated, i don't know really, everything seems possible)

Again - not asking for "the solution", but something ingame, which is usable, and detectable, without the need of whatever external and maybe sophistcated tool or software, that would be helpfull, and would advance the gameplay.
It should not be effortless, it should not be "in your face"-obvious, but it should be recognizable by a community like this. Which is probably one of the finest, if not the finest, in the whole gaming industry.

If this community right now is so much stumped, clinching to every possible and even impossible clue, even to non existing clues, than it is not, and by far,not their fault.

o7

Ok I just finished 'decoding' what I could from the recording of the probe on Merope 5C. This is what I got.

High Pitched as (-), low pitch as (.): -.- --. ---- --- --... .-- / --. .... --- .-- -.- --. --. --. / --. .- --- ... .--. .-- -.- --. --. --- .-- .-- -.- --. .-- /
Translates to: KG(error)O7W GHOWKGGG GAOSPWKGGOWWKGW

High Pitched as (.), low pitched as (-): .-. ..- .... ... ..--- -.. / ..- ---- ... -.. .-. ..- ..- ..- / ..- -. ... --- -..- -.. .-. ..- ..- ... -.. -.. .-. ..- -.. /
Translates to: RUHS2D U(error)SDRUUU UNSOXDRUUSDDRUD

I'm no morse expert and I did this with my ears and a piece of paper. So somebody with better knowledge and tools could definitely do better. Hope it helps anyway.

Thanks,

Omate.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Im using the 'purrs' as spaces. I don't know if you can hear them, but there are different pitched beeps that are in between the purrs. They are exclusive to the UP, the UA does not have them. They sound a lot like dots and dashes in morse to me.

Thanks,

Omate.

Your not going to bellive it... but i put that morse in to the ship drawer now... its a little off... but i dont think we have the full string. but... DOES THAT THING NOT LOOK FAMILER IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM?!FDASUIODHNSAUIODhnsad

cfc8e09997

Let me just...
250px-Elite-thargoid.png

Last edited:
Or even worse: we will eventually be presented with a clue, and realize that hundreds of pages of theories are completly worhtless, because we just made the wrong assumption, walked of to thousand different directions, with a million ideas, all backed by just a few bread crumbs in a galaxy of 400Billion objects. In your face, community.... it was just as easy, you just did not understand where we pointed you.

But why is this bad or wrong, I find this amazing!

This issue has been an interest of mine ever since the first barnacle hunt. See my original video here: https://youtu.be/3nSGJdu2Slw where I perform an experiment to see how far out one can detect the barnacle. I landed far enough away that it was undetectable, deployed my srv and proceeded to drive toward it. You can see how it becomes detectable at a great distance. Unfortunately, since the SRV doesn't tell you the actual distance, I can't put a number on it.

I just did an experiment to determine the effective range of the SRV's wave scanner, using my landed ship. I drove away from my ship backward past the auto-departure distance of 2km, the ship was still showing up bright and loud on the wave scanner. I continued to drive backward as my ship left and eventually frameshifted out. The last ship signature detected had the ship at approximately 4.3km, still quite visible and audible on the scanner. My conclusion is therefore that the SRV's wave scanner range is probably 5km or more. Unfortunately I still can't determine the max range without another player's ship to use as a scan target. However, from general use and experience I think the range is probably so great that it would exceed the SRV's standard scanner, based on my observations of npc ships flying around nearby. I am able to detect those even when they are so distant the SRV cannot register them as contacts on the standard scanner, though often they are only detectable as audio signatures, sometimes faint, but easy to spot if you are paying attention.

I think this information will greatly help those of us searching the planet as it will allow us to refine our search methods. Previously, the assumption was that the wave scanner's max range was 1km, which seemed far too low in my opinion. That is why I performed this experiment. I wanted to both disprove that misconception while also detemining exactly what the maximum range was. While I still don't know the max range, I do know now that it is much higher than we originally thought.

Here is the video of my range determination experiment: https://youtu.be/TAq8ljNkpEs

It's good to know the effective range of the SRV scanner, however the low speed means it's not effective for a planetary search.

Last edited:
Also does this have some meaning? [video=youtube;m2JL0xABlrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2JL0xABlrQ[/video] Like... maybe the howls from the UA and UP are like the tones from Close Encounters?

I feel like we are working at a pretty acceptable pace. I mean the UP was just picked up less than a week ago, we've only managed to get a hold of a small handful and already a lot of tests have been done. And as far as in-game clues, I think we are getting them. Some we pick up on, some may go unnoticed due to the large size of the galaxy, but the fact is a lot of work goes into this puzzle outside of the game. I don't think that's a bad thing, but maybe that's just up to personal opinion. I also kind of like the fact that we can get stumped and have periods of little progress. If fdev made it so every week we could make a "breakthrough" I think it would get a little boring after a while. Its all about the slow burn!

Has anyone identified what the UP is transmitting in it's squeaks? This phrase is pretty common:

http://i.imgur.com/TxjRJNg.png

_ - - / - _ - / - - _ / - - - / _ _ _

I don't think it's Morse as every "character" has three bits of information in it? As binary 35670 or 42107 (in base 10)

But looking at the sounds, only one of three bits is every a low note, unless all three are low notes. I wonder if three low notes designates a break between words.

Has anyone investigated the chirps from the UP yet?

Not looked at your analysis method, but that morse signal decodes for me as DRUSO (by. Friedrich Freksa https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...COMQ6AEIJjAC#v=onepage&q=druso planet&f=false)- apparently a wandering planet that brought invasion to Earth

Just gone further out again (in the direction of Maia just fore the sake of a pretty view of the nebula).

At pretty well exactly 100,000ls I got a 'new signal source' message, but nothing visible or targetable. Now I wasn't really paying much attention to the screen, just listening for the message click so maybe I missed it.

So I carried on, watching the screen & at exactly 130,000ls had the same thing again. Message, but nothing targetable on my nav panel or visible that I could find.

So maybe there is another shell...

Damn it just had another one, this time at 127,000ls from 5c. A little help here maybe?

I feel like we are working at a pretty acceptable pace. I mean the UP was just picked up less than a week ago, we've only managed to get a hold of a small handful and already a lot of tests have been done. And as far as in-game clues, I think we are getting them. Some we pick up on, some may go unnoticed due to the large size of the galaxy, but the fact is a lot of work goes into this puzzle outside of the game. I don't think that's a bad thing, but maybe that's just up to personal opinion. I also kind of like the fact that we can get stumped and have periods of little progress. If fdev made it so every week we could make a "breakthrough" I think it would get a little boring after a while. Its all about the slow burn!

Slow pace is fine. At least for me. But just look at the pace of this thread, at some of the ideas - not judging them as silly ! - but how unprobable those are sometimes. And yet, they are analyzed to the very last bit, sometimes on an microscopic level. In the end it is a game. It encourage to think "out of the box" - which is good ! It is good to get in touch with topics which are new to you, and to elobarate to some extent if this or that is applicable to whatever "they" want to point us.

I really like this. No kidding.

I dislike to have next to almos non-existent "real game" mechanis, clues, hints, information, tools or whatever would be needed. Having people program external tools to map out a Planet is a nice touch, but that cannot be asked seriously ?
Maybe thousands of players scrambling for research a whole planet for months ? really ? At some point in time, there has to be a full stop. Because when things get unreasonable (is that a word?) they frustrate in the end. And this is what i' kind of expecting: a ingame "prevention system" of doing unreasonable things, just because someone dropped a line, which unfortunatly led to a complete wrong conclusion. Just because it was the only recognized thing by the community.
What's next ? Professional Sound engineers reverse engineering a soundfile ? Hell i don't even know what that means ? Why ? "Listen to it" - line dropped, community jumps. Sorry, this has nothing to do with "ingame mechanics" anymore.

Whats next ?

sorry to vent ....

You haven't been here long have you?

The UA was first discovered over a year ago now. The UP feels like it's all looping back around to the UA days.
It's not that we are moving at a slow pace, there is no pace. The story is looping back on it self and going nowhere.

There is also the slight issue of certain parts of the mystery being highly exclusive. Only those with Audio Analysis tools(I have none and wouldn't understand how to use it if I did) or have a good understanding of Morse(I have some understanding not very good though).
Also "Needle in a haystack" approach to finding things, and overly reliant on RNG, with very very low chances.

Damn it just had another one, this time at 127,000ls from 5c. A little help here maybe?
Were you traveling over 300c? cause if you were i had the same problem...Turns out that you move so fast you have about 6 seconds to find the source before it despawns from distance....So you kinda have to fly out and then start slowing down
As it seems sources have a "max" range to how far you can be from them so it might just be that

Last edited:
Quite possibly (I'm only half kidding), it's much like the video below. Once they're where they're supposed to be the transmit a harmonized signal with the planet. Theoretically a different planet would have a different sound (if we found an applicable one). That would suggest that it's transmitting something like "X is at Y on Z".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCri-vLgSNA

I really like this theory. This would not only make it very much a "probe", but also perfectly explains why the Feds would be conducting orbital tests.

Yes. You guys are right. I see now that I have been too focused on proving my theory to be right on these forums. I do however focus just as much on proving myself wrong (or at least I try to) in my own mind. I also will do test after test after test until I either perfect my theory and figure out the mystery with indisputable proof or someone else proves theirs with indisputable proof. It isn't up to anyone else to prove or disprove what I believe to be true, it is my responsibility.

Edit: I just don't like seeing so much time and effort by such an intelligent group of people being, in my opinion, wasted. But that's just it, its my opinion and you all have yours. Like my old man used to say, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one but no one wants to hear anyone else's :)

I know this is quite a few pages back now, but I just wanted to say please do share ideas and theories on the forums here, even if slightly half-baked. New evidence discovered via in-game testing should and does drive the theories and speculation, but it works the other way too - theories and speculation drive the testing that's done. Share away with the theories and ideas, I like 'em, just don't expect everyone to automatically get on board. But at the same time realize that everyone not getting on board doesn't mean your ideas are being discounted. :)

The best theories are not ones with a way that they can be proven right. The best theories are ones with a specific way that it can be proven wrong. That's the key. When coming up with a theory (as opposed to just speculation), also ask "how can this be proven wrong?" If you want someone to conduct some tests to help your ideas, the idea being falsifiable makes the test far more likely to carried out. If a theory isn't falsifiable, can not be proven wrong, it's not a theory, it's a belief. And people are less likely to help try to prove your belief than they are to see if they can disprove your theory. One leads with no knowledge gained, the other gives us knowledge on success OR on failure.

Somewhat relatedly, the entire usefulness of an accurate theory is in predicting behavior; for example, the UA Shell. We like that theory (now proven to the point of fact but technically still a theory as well), because we can use to consistently and reliably get UA's. It's not a theory that's just plot conjecture, it's a theory that we can make use of. Try to also craft theories that make useful predictions as well - those are what benefit the community.

Falsifiability and predictions are the two cornerstones of a well crafted theory.

Even if you don't meet these standards though, share away. We all love a good bit of speculation too. :)

Were you traveling over 300c? cause if you were i had the same problem...Turns out that you move so fast you have about 6 seconds to find the source before it despawns from distance....So you kinda have to fly out and then start slowing down
As it seems sources have a "max" range to how far you can be from them so it might just be that

First time yeah, but I responded immediately to the message sound & was on my nav panel within a couple of seconds. Second one I was in the blue zone & paying attention, third time again pretty slow.

I have it on vid, I have reviewed it & cannot see any signal (ie I didn't miss anything in-game). I'll upload it & post a bug report, but my connection isn't that fast so it'll be a while.

First time yeah, but I responded immediately to the message sound & was on my nav panel within a couple of seconds. Second one I was in the blue zone & paying attention, third time again pretty slow.

I have it on vid, I have reviewed it & cannot see any signal (ie I didn't miss anything in-game). I'll upload it & post a bug report, but my connection isn't that fast so it'll be a while.
Its possible it was a bug Could be the distance and etc making them spawn in a weird fashion...

Hi guys. I`m not really following the thread or contributing in any way because i have no time fur such things, but i wanted to say that i admire your persistance

having said that... a puzzle that nobody can solve (in a reasonable time frame) is... a badly designed puzzle

It`s one of the first things a new game master learns... game design 101...

My first puzzle/mystery was so cool and sophisticated, i was so proud of it, i was putting it together and thinking it through for weeks...all until the game session obviously... they never even steered into the right direction... not even after 4 sessions.. and i was so proud of myself! HA! got you i thought... we had a 6 month break after... nobody wanted to play anymore

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom