Ungulate Talk

Might anger some peeps with saying this but i really hope the amount of ungulates gets tuned down in the coming packs so other groups can get the attention they need.
The amount we get kinda takes down the excitment i have for them, species like the boar and takin i really wanted for a long time but now that they are comin i feel kinda indifferent to them because they kinda are just one of many this year.

At this rate, I would like a member of the genus Bos to come into the game as we don't have any members yet (water buffalo, cape buffalo, American bison and the upcoming European bison don't fit this category). I want the Guar to come into the game. Apart from that, I would much prefer the Muskox over the markhor and Bighorn sheep to come into the game, and before you complain and rant on me, hear me out: all species of Caprinae so far that are in the game (ibex, Dall sheep, and the upcoming Takin) the males only use their horns in ritualistic combat for the right to mate with females, and this is the sole use of the horns as living in high mountainous areas they can flee to higher elevations when they spot predators, even the Takin despite its bulk will run than fight so their horns are not needed for self-defence. On the other hand, the Muskox has no way to flee from arctic wolves, so those horns become deadly weapons against the wolves, hence the shield wall tactic of the herd that we know so much about.

Might anger some peeps with saying this but i really hope the amount of ungulates gets tuned down in the coming packs so other groups can get the attention they need.
The amount we get kinda takes down the excitment i have for them, species like the boar and takin i really wanted for a long time but now that they are comin i feel kinda indifferent to them because they kinda are just one of many this year.
Not anger. I am just on the opposie point of View. I am still celebrating every hoofstock we get.

Ok, friends, The Wisent, Wild Boar, Saiga, and Takin have been added this time around!

What are your opinions on how ungulate representation is doing in each group?

Personally, I think Suids are complete with the boar, we still need one more caprine, and even though the wisent and saiga are great additions we still need more bovines and Asian antelopes.

What do you guys think?
Suids and Bison are now complete, but for Caprinae, the family is not quite complete. See my earlier post about why the musk ox should come into the game. And we still need a member of the genus Bos.

I take back my "One more Caprine" statement. I want Markhor and Musk Ox.
Same

Other ungulates i crave for are:

BLACKBUCK

Gerenuk
Greater kudu
Giant eland
Southamerican tapir
Southern pudu
Marsh deer
Chital
Pere David deer
Guanaco
Vicuña
Lowland anoa
Waterbuck
Impala
Topi/Hartebeest
Dik dik
Duiker
Gaur

And honestly i think that's it. The caprines and the blackbuck are hard want so the rest i would love but are not priority

I mostly agree.
I also miss some deer species like Chital, Père David's deer, Reeves's muntjac, Persian fallow deer, Sambar deer, Water deer, European roe deer, White-tailed deer, Kuhl's hog deer, Southern pudu deer, Japanese sika deer,
Cherotains: Javan chevrotain
From antiliope for africa I would like to see a great kudu its unique African antilope and a blebok which is a really pretty one also the yellow backe duiker. But yes asian species more needed like goitered gazelles, blackbucks, mongolian gazelles, arabian oryx etc..
From suids I only miss Visayan warty pig and the pygmy hog. But a Bornean bearded pig also would be nice. But yeah the developers mostly summorized the most needed ones.
From Bovids: we are not done yet: Gaur, Banteng, Lowland anoa, African forest buffalo, Yak but a Heck's cattle would be nice.
From camelids I still wanna see an alpaca or a vicuna.
From Equus I miss a Grévy's zebra and a Turkmenian kulan.
From tapirs: Althought I love mountain tapirs I would only go with the South-American tapir since it's the most common one in zoos.
From rhinos. The sumatran rhino.
For giraffids: There are 4 giraffe species since 2016 + the okapi-I wana see Rothschild's giraffe its one of the most common giraffe in European zoos, also the Massai giraffe because of the unique colour pattern.
From Caprini : Bharal or blue sheep, Barbary sheep, Alpine chamois, Markhor, Nubian ibex, Himalayan thar, Mountain goat, Japanese serrow, Muskox, Tibetian antilope, European mouflon, Snow sheep We still miss many

But from Hoof animals I mostly miss the domesticated one: goat petting zoos are really common in zoos, also they show and preserve national, or anciantbeeds.
Also there are some unique looking domesticated hoofed breeds like Scottish highlands cattle, Watusi, Hungarian grey cattle, Valais black nose sheep, Hortobágy racka sheep, Cameroon Dwarf sheep, Jakob sheep, Blonde mangalista pig, Wessex Saddleback pig, Minnesota minipig, Vietnamese pot-bellied pig, Albanian donkey, Poitou donkey, Fjord horse, Hucul horse, Shire horse, Andalusian horse, Falabella horse, Shetland pony.
Also there are breeding back project for aurochs and tarpan so Heck's cattle or the Taurus project cattle would also be nice addition and from the breeding back tapran project the konik or the Heck horse also.

Ungulate lover right here, how can I forgot about this thread 🤦‍♂️ Anyway lol, speaking of ungulates in the game. We got many, many, many of ungulates already and there are still some more ungulates that need to be added in the game.

I made a list on ungulates what I think we need plus few additions that would be nice for the game. Quite a long list lol

Animals with question marks - not sure if it is needed addition(s) for the game

Odd-Toed Ungulates
Pretty much completed however, there are few additions, not really needed though (especially Grevy's Zebra for me)
  • Grevy's Zebra - would be amazing, it is quite high on my wishlist currently. I don't know what people would think of this zebra species. An endangered, largest and noticeable zebra species
  • Lowland Tapir - Extremely common in zoos, I don't know why they picked Baird's over Lowland... It is pretty much needed for me
  • Kiang/Onager - Not really needed at all, it would be nice though
  • Sumatran Rhinoceros - Not really needed, it could be nice to complete Rhinoceros species in-game
Camelids
Pretty much completed. Either Guanaco or Vicuna would make great additions for the game + more SA animals. Alpaca probably would be nice to complete Camelids (Two camels and Llama/Alpaca)

Cervids
Some more deers would be great especially more North American and Asian deer species. Personally, I don't want NA deers however, many people seem to want them, I wouldn't mind them though.
  • Pere David's Deer
  • Reeves's Muntjac or any Muntjac
  • White-Tailed/Mule Deer
  • Wapiti/Elk
  • Roe Deer?
  • Southern Pudu
  • Musk Deer?
Suidaes
It seems like people are satisfied with pigs/peccaries now after Wild Boar in Eurasia Pack. However, for me, there is only one pig I really want to see in the game: Visayan Warty Pig. It is my 5th wanted animal on my wishlist. Critically endangered pig species, very common in zoos which should be added in the game. I'm sorry but I won't be satisfied if the game's support ends without having this pig 😅

Bovines
I think bovines are completed now, few additions would be nice
  • Domestic/Wild Yak
  • Gaur
  • Banteng?
  • Lowland Anoa
Antelopes
We got many antelopes now however, there are still more antelopes I would like to see in the game.
  • Blackbuck
  • Nilgai
  • Kirk's Dik-Dik
There are some more African antelopes that would make great additions for the game such as Kudu, Eland, Bontebok, etc.

Caprines
We still need more caprines, Takin does make a fantastic addition though!
  • Markhor
  • Musk Ox
  • Barbary Sheep
  • Chamois
  • Tahr
  • Bighorn Sheep/Rocky Mountain Sheep?
  • Mouflon?

The boar and takin were the last two species i really wanted specificly, now its a couple niches left that i want filled, but not really set on any particular species.
-indian antelope (preferably nilgai
-small antelope (preferably dik dik)
-non european deer (muntjac or pudu)
-something for petting zoos (dwarf goat and pony)
But non of these are really a priority for me right now

I'll genuinely be upset if the musk ox doesn't come.
Well that aged like milk 😅 I'm not too upset about the lack of a musk ox for this winter pack, the appearance of both the wild boar, wisent and takin are pleasing. But next year? Being upset is going to be an understatement for the avoidance of everyone's favourite tundra caprine.

After the Arid dlc I don’t want anymore ungulates for a while. Eurasia just gave us some great ungulates of Europe and Asia.
Some that I’m still hoping for.
Blackbuck
Guar
Roosevelt elk
Markhor
Coastal mountain goats
Alpaca/vicuna

Wow, this year I got Red River Hog, Somali Wild Ass, Collared Peccary and Takin.

My only must have now is just Reeves Muntjac, but there are still a good amount of other options. I have no doubt we will see more ungulates.

If I’m counting right this year we’ve got 11 ungulates with the anniversary animal.
This is nearly half of the total number of species we received in 2023.
I really hope that 2024 would be similar for our favorite group.

What are now the 10 ungulates we really need for the game?

1. Most wanted ungulate: Musk ox
  2. Iconic caprine: Markhor
  3. Asian antelope: Blackbuck
  4. Endemic Asian deer: Pere David’s deer
  5. Small deer: Tufted deer or muntjac
  6. Wild camelid from SA: Guanaco or Vicuña
  7. Large antelope: Kudu or Eland
  8. Small antelope: Dik-dik
  9. Unique antelope: Gerenuk or Bontebok
  10. Large Asian cattle: Yak or Gaur

Edit: I have forgotten the Barbary sheep - it would be great to have a warm climate caprine.

Last edited:
Markhor, Gerenuk, Musk Ox, Gaur, Muntjac, Blackbuck I really still want those.

Would not mind: Yak, Kudu, Great Eland, Dik-Dik, Barbary Sheep, Bighorn Sheep, Chamois, Mountain Goat, Waterbuck, Bontebok, Pere David's Deer, Nilgai

Would not really like, wasted place: Impala, another Oryx, another Giraffe, another Tapir, another Rhino, you get the drill.

Top Bottom