Ungulate Talk

4E3BD763-41D1-4A67-A975-3D88A184598C.jpeg

Someone please back me up on how the reindeer needs reworked as much as the Malaysian Tapir does. This is just one of the subspecies (many others look a bit different from this), but to me, the current iteration of the reindeer looks as cartoonish as the lion does.

View attachment 280227
Someone please back me up on how the reindeer needs reworked as much as the Malaysian Tapir does. This is just one of the subspecies (many others look a bit different from this), but to me, the current iteration of the reindeer looks as cartoonish as the lion does.
But the reindeer looks in the end more or less like a reindeer. I can understand the people who want to have remodels of the more cartoonish looking species. But the wrongness of the Malaysian tapir is on another level because in fact it is not a malaysian tapir. It is a black and white coloured bairds tapir.

So everyone of you could only pick one more ungulate to add in PZ what would it be? For me it’s a toss up between Saiga and P Horses I really want central/ northern Asia to get more representation
Red deer, because I think the Przewalski horse will definitely make it in. Saiga would be awesome, but not absolutely necessary to me.

Marine Mania fans though, I don't think they're ever gonna get a modern version.
Marine Mania was the best expansion for both ZT games, it was my favorite, especially in the 2nd game where it added features like swimming underwater and playing with the toys (who here didn't love to kick the giant pursuit ball halfway to the moon? Raise your hand)
Anyways, I'm really hoping that, with the success of Planet Zoo, the next Planco series game is a Planet Aquarium

Personally, I want more deer and cattle, which can be represented in Asia very well.
Deer:
  • Red deer
  • Perè David's deer
  • Siberian muskdeer
Cattle:
  • Ankole cattle
  • Wild water buffalo
  • Gaur
  • European bison
Suidae:
  • Wild boar
  • Red river hog
  • Peccary (any species, although the collared peccary is the most likely)

I love ungulates and I could easily think of 20 that would make this game better but with such a limited number of free slots I think that max 6 species will appear in the game before the end.
But we can always count on mods - I don’t use them because deleting them before every new update is annoying but after the game ends it will be easier. And belive me some of them like Addax or Blackbuck are just as good as the official ones.
Of course I prefer official animals but with we can realistically expect maximum of 20 mammals and couple of birds so the chances for many more ungulates are thin.

Marine Mania was the best expansion for both ZT games, it was my favorite, especially in the 2nd game where it added features like swimming underwater and playing with the toys (who here didn't love to kick the giant pursuit ball halfway to the moon? Raise your hand)
Anyways, I'm really hoping that, with the success of Planet Zoo, the next Planco series game is a Planet Aquarium
Unfortunately I doubt it from both a commercial perspective, and the fact the Planet series has trademarked a number of potential titles (Prison, Transport etc.), but nowhere on the list is anything to do with aquaria or seas.

I haven't actually elaborated on what ungulates I'd like to see get added, might as well do that now!

Equines (Equidae):
I know people have been begging for Przewalski's horses left right and centre but I have a personal soft spot for the Onager (Equus hemionus). They're unusually horse-like for an ass, and they're somewhat on the small size for an equine. They're also super adaptable, letting them work in a wide range of environments!

Rhinos (Rhinocerotidae):
The only rhino that I feel is worth adding now is the Black Rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis). It'd be unique in that it's smaller and more aggressive than our current 2 rhinos. They'd also do wonders for Big 5-themed areas.

Tapirs (Tapiridae):
I think with both the Baird's and "Malayan" tapirs we're pretty well-rounded out. Though if there was one tapir I'd consider for addition, it'd be the Mountain Tapir (Tapirus pinchaque). Not only are they unique in being the smallest tapir, but they're also super woolly which helps them live in their unique montane habitats.

Camelids (Camelidae):
The Dromedary Camel (Camelus dromedarius) is an obvious consideration with all the scenery parts for this species. I don't think any of the Lamini are worth adding to be honest, the llama rounded that out pretty well

Swine (Suina):
I'd be over the moon if they add Red River Hogs (Potamochoerus porcus) and Collared Peccaries (Dicolytes tajacu). There's other species like giant forest hogs, chacoan peccaries, and wild boar that would be neat additions as well, but the former 2 are my most-wanted swine.

Hippos & Cetaceans (Whippomorpha):
Both hippos are already in so that's not a point worth labouring. Cetaceans are probably not going to happen (as are aquaria animals in general).

Chevrotains (Tragulidae):
This family will probably remain uncovered, as is usually the case in zoo games. They're pretty obscure and I don't think they add much to the experience. I'll just throw the Water Chevrotain (Hyemoschus aquaticus) here since it's uniquely nocturnal and water-bound.

Possibly Paraphyletic Giraffoids (Giraffoidea):
All 3 genera of are already represented. The only species left would be one the 3 giraffe species that aren't the reticulated giraffe. I'd personally go for the Southern Giraffe (Giraffa giraffa) if we had to get another giraffe. The Eastern giraffe (G. tippelskirchi) overlaps a bit to much in niche with the existing reticulated giraffe for me to really want it. Conversely, the Kordofan Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis antiquorum) is also worth considering, as it's the smallest of the 7 giraffe subspecies.

Deer (Cervidae):
The most obvious deer left for many would be the Red Deer (Cervus elaphus). For extra species, I'd love to see them add the Père David's Deer (Elaphurus davidianus) and the Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus) as well!

Musk-Deer (Moschidae):
A heavily neglected group like the chevrotains. However, I think either the Alpine Musk Deer (Moschus chrysogaster) or the Siberian Musk Deer (Moschus moschiferus) would be fantastic additions!

Antelope (Bovidae):
Hooooo-boy, this is the meat of ungulates. For every canid and felid already in the game, I would name 2 bovids I'd want to see in Planet Zoo. I'll cut to the chase and end things off with a lightning round. I'll be referring to taxon used in Bovids of the World by Dr. Jose R. Castello. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on his work!
  • Addax (Addax nasomaculatus)
  • Barbary Sheep (Ammotragus lervia)
  • Bharal (Pseudois nayaur)
  • Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra)
  • Bontebok (Damaliscus pygarus)
  • Chinese Serow (Capricornis milneedwardsii)
  • Common Impala (Aepyceros melampus)
  • Dama Gazelle (Nanger dama)
  • Domestic Swamp Buffalo (Bubalis bubalis var. kerabau)
  • Domestic Yak (Bos grunniens)
  • Ellipsen Waterbuck (Kobus ellipsiprymnus)
  • Forest Buffalo (Syncerus nanus)
  • Gaur (Bos gaurus)
  • Golden Takin (Budorcas bedfordi)
  • Harvey's Duiker (Cephalophus harveyi)
  • Hinde's Dik-dik (Madoqua hindei)
  • Jentink's Duiker (Cephalophus jentinki)
  • Kafue Flats Lechwe (Kobus kafuensis)
  • Majorcan Goat (Capra hircus var. majorcan)
  • Merino Sheep (Ovis aries var. merino)
  • Mountain Gazelle (Gazella gazella)
  • Mountain Goat (Oreamnos americanus)
  • Muskox (Ovibos moschatus)
  • Nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus)
  • Red Hartebeest (Alcelaphus caama)
  • Red Serow (Capricornis rubidus)
  • Russian Saiga (Saiga tatarica)
  • Sanga Cattle (Bos taurus var. africanus)
  • Scimitar-horned Oryx (Oryx dammah)
  • Southern Gerenuk (Litocranius walleri)
  • Tibetan Antelope (Panthlops hodgsoni)
  • Tibetan Gazelle (Procapra picticaudata)
  • Zambezi Greater Kudu (Stepsiceros zambeziensis)

Last edited:
  • Addax (Addax nasomaculatus)
  • Barbary Sheep (Ammotragus lervia)
  • Bharal (Pseudois nayaur)
  • Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra)
  • Bontebok (Damaliscus pygarus)
  • Chinese Serow (Capricornis milneedwardsii)
  • Common Impala (Aepyceros melampus)
  • Dama Gazelle (Nanger dama)
  • Domestic Swamp Buffalo (Bubalis bubalis var. kerabau)
  • Domestic Yak (Bos grunniens)
  • Ellipsen Waterbuck (Kobus ellipsiprymnus)
  • Forest Buffalo (Syncerus nanus)
  • Gaur (Bos gaurus)
  • Golden Takin (Budorcas bedfordi)
  • Harvey's Duiker (Cephalophus harveyi)
  • Hinde's Dik-dik (Madoqua hindei)
  • Jentink's Duiker (Cephalophus jentinki)
  • Kafue Flats Lechwe (Kobus kafuensis)
  • Majorcan Goat (Capra hircus va. majorcan)
  • Merino Sheep (Ovis aries va. merino)
  • Mountain Gazelle (Gazella gazella)
  • Mountain Goat (Oreamnos americanus)
  • Muskox (Ovibos moschatus)
  • Nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus)
  • Red Hartebeest (Alcelaphus caama)
  • Red Serow (Capricornis rubidus)
  • Russian Saiga (Saiga tatarica)
  • Sanga Cattle (Bos taurus var. africanus)
  • Scimitar-horned Oryx (Oryx dammah)
  • Southern Gerenuk (Litocranius walleri)
  • Tibetan Antelope (Panthlops hodgsoni)
  • Tibetan Gazelle (Procapra picticaudata)
  • Zambezi Greater Kudu (Stepsiceros zambeziensis)
I must say, I would also take 2 animal packs just with antelopes if I could decide it 😀. Through the game and the forum, I learnt a lot about them by reading about suggestions in the meta list (also from the animals which are not in the game until now) and there are so much unique looking antelopes. Give me them all 😆

Top Bottom