Ungulate Talk

I was about to correct you until I goggled it...

I might need a minute

Musk Ox isn't an Ox ?!
If it helps any, all caprine are part of the antelope family (bovidae), which also includes bovines.
1639625435257.png

Edit: Ignore the caprine split on the chart, that's outdated

Goat or not, Musk oxen are cool and popular in zoos.

I'd love to see an oryx of some kind. My fave is the Arabian oryx, but I think most players favor the scimitar-horned oryx.

Giant Elands are really interesting antelope too.

Of course the Przewalski's horses are a must. I'd like to see a wild ass [word redacted, but it means the same as "donkey"] species too.

Saiga antelope are really unusual looking and would be fun too.

The omission of dromedaries from the game is strange too, especially since there are dromedary art pieces (and no Bactrian camel signs or art pieces). Domesticated or not, dromedaries are common in zoos.

This is an aside, but I'd like to see them finish up the animal signs and outlines at some point, as so many of the animals in the game still have no art or silhouettes.

Goat or not, Musk oxen are cool and popular in zoos.

I'd love to see an oryx of some kind. My fave is the Arabian oryx, but I think most players favor the scimitar-horned oryx.

Giant Elands are really interesting antelope too.

Of course the Przewalski's horses are a must. I'd like to see a wild [word redacted, but it means the same as "donkey"] species too.

Saiga antelope are really unusual looking and would be fun too.

The omission of dromedaries from the game is strange too, especially since there are dromedary art pieces (and no Bactrian camel signs or art pieces). Domesticated or not, dromedaries are common in zoos.

This is an aside, but I'd like to see them finish up the animal signs and outlines at some point, as so many of the animals in the game still have no art or silhouettes.
I really hope they finish up the silhouette signs they’re very useful

I just noticed how needed ungulates are to fill out northern africa. Scimitar horned onyx, dromedary, barabry sheep, addax, dama gazelle and somali wild donkey are just some examples of common in captivity north african animals, and they are all ungulates and most importanly very unique looking ungulates. Would love to have all of them in the game.
And, except for the dromedary, all of them are very endangered or extinct in the wild, with zoos being key for captive breeding and releasing in the wild.

And, except for the dromedary, all of them are very endangered or extinct in the wild, with zoos being key for captive breeding and releasing in the wild.
This is honestly super sad, the state of northafrican wildlife is one of the saddest worldwide if you ask me. Sahara went from small diversity of larger creatures to almost none. Lets not talk about what the romans did to the atlas mountains, but that was a crime as well

This is honestly super sad, the state of northafrican wildlife is one of the saddest worldwide if you ask me. Sahara went from small diversity of larger creatures to almost none. Lets not talk about what the romans did to the atlas mountains, but that was a crime as well

Yep, the favorite go to animals for colosseum and private collections came from North Africa. Bears, Leopards, Lions, Crocs, Hippos even Giraffes.

The famed war elephants of Hannibal were also of North African, now extinct, subspecies.

There were modern Lions, Auroch and Water Buffalos in Greece and Balkans! Imagine that...

Funny thing, in my language Hippopotamus translates to "Nile Horse", and it's interesting language remnant given that there are no more Hippos in Nile

Yep, the favorite go to animals for colosseum and private collections came from North Africa. Bears, Leopards, Lions, Crocs, Hippos even Giraffes.

The famed war elephants of Hannibal were also of North African, now extinct, subspecies.

There were modern Lions, Auroch and Water Buffalos in Greece and Balkans! Imagine that...

Funny thing, in my language Hippopotamus translates to "Nile Horse", and it's interesting language remnant given that there are no more Hippos in Nile
And Bubal hartebeest 😭😤
North Africa was in the past as diverse and rich in species as South Africa is today or even more because it also had some of the European species like bears.
1639696740051.jpeg

Last edited:
North Africa in the past must have been so interesting with its mix of European/north Asian wildlife and African such a unique region. Regardless North African ungulates are definitely on the tops of my lists of wants. They could fit in an endangered species pack

Sidenote: there are theories that hannibal’s main elephant was an asian elephant from west Asia back when they used to live there, and the rest of his army had North African elephants. It’s based on descriptions from the time. I don’t know how valid it is but it’s interesting. Also another little tangent. There might have been a late surviving paleoloxodon elephant species (straight tusked elephant) in medieval China used in warfare based on description and armor from the time. They thought they were just asian elephants but they described long straight tusks a lot so ... maybe. Definitely interesting. Sorry to derail just cool things I thought I should bring up

North Africa in the past must have been so interesting with its mix of European/north Asian wildlife and African such a unique region. Regardless North African ungulates are definitely on the tops of my lists of wants. They could fit in an endangered species pack

Sidenote: there are theories that hannibal’s main elephant was an asian elephant from west Asia back when they used to live there, and the rest of his army had North African elephants. It’s based on descriptions from the time. I don’t know how valid it is but it’s interesting. Also another little tangent. There might have been a late surviving paleoloxodon elephant species (straight tusked elephant) in medieval China used in warfare based on description and armor from the time. They thought they were just asian elephants but they described long straight tusks a lot so ... maybe. Definitely interesting. Sorry to derail just cool things I thought I should bring up
Hannibal elephant theory could very well be true. It was said that his one was distinct from the rest. After campaigns of Alexander the great, there were Asian elephants in Syria and Levant. But those were the ones Seleucids introduced from Punjab and India

P.S. Haven't heard about the Paleoloxodon story but sounds really cool. And the fact that it was medieval time rather than antiquity. That would be a find and a half

Hannibal elephant theory could very well be true. It was said that his one was distinct from the rest. After campaigns of Alexander the great, there were Asian elephants in Syria and Levant. But those were the ones Seleucids introduced from Punjab and India

P.S. Haven't heard about the Paleoloxodon story but sounds really cool. And the fact that it was medieval time rather than antiquity. That would be a find and a half
It was probably earlier than European medieval times so it might be antiquity all I know is there’s descriptions and armor that matches up with paleoloxodon

My top ungulates are: Przewalski Horse, musk ox, takin, markhor, greater kudu, gerenuk, chital deer, blackbuck, addax, sumatran rhino.

What do you think about Grevy's zebra? It is not one if my tops but It would be a good adition. I like the stripes pattern. It is quite different from the plains zebra, It is a threatened specie and is seen in zoos. Good choices for a desert/shrublands DLC

Last edited:
My top ungulates are: Przewalski Horse, musk ox, takin, markhor, greater kudu, gerenuk, chital deer, blackbuck, addax, sumatran rhino.

What do you think about Grevy's zebra? It is not one if my tops but It would be a good adition. I like the stripes pattern. It is quite different from the plains zebra, It is a threatened specie and is seen in zoos. Good choices for a desert/shrublands DLC
I like the grevys and mountain zebra they’d be interesting additions

Grévy’s zebras wouldn't be horrible, but if we had to get 1 more of Equus I’d pick the onager.

Last edited:
Top Bottom