Unidentified Signal Sources (USS): A Complete Guide

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Good guide, spot on from what I can see.
+1 from a UA/UP USS hunter in Canonn.

Tip, perhaps you could take some tiny screenshots of some of the types and have them as mini-thumbnails per topic for the different kinds.
Some people may feel it a bit easier to read and navigate you fine guide it there are some images breaking up the text.

/mod hat off

- degraded and encoded emissions can be found outside the bubble, too. (e.g. >500 ly from next uninhabited system) - i have found those even 27 000 ly from sol (and >5000 ly from jaques).

- distress calls can be found outside the bubble. i personally have found one ~2500 ly from sol.

- convoy beacons can be found outside the bubble - personally i have found a convoy beacon 6500 ly out

- trading beacon "mission targets" can not be found in inhabited systems - they spawn with states.

great guide!

Good guide, spot on from what I can see.
+1 from a UA/UP USS hunter in Canonn.

Tip, perhaps you could take some tiny screenshots of some of the types and have them as mini-thumbnails per topic for the different kinds.
Some people may feel it a bit easier to read and navigate you fine guide it there are some images breaking up the text.

Maybe someday. I do not feel like breaking it with images.

- - - Updated - - -

/mod hat off

- degraded and encoded emissions can be found outside the bubble, too. (e.g. >500 ly from next uninhabited system) - i have found those even 27 000 ly from sol (and >5000 ly from jaques).

- distress calls can be found outside the bubble. i personally have found one ~2500 ly from sol.

- convoy beacons can be found outside the bubble - personally i have found a convoy beacon 6500 ly out

- trading beacon "mission targets" can not be found in inhabited systems - they spawn with states.

great guide!

Thanks! :)

- Degraded are stated to be found in any system already. I have never encountered Encoded in uninhabited system, though. I might add it if there's more evidence (screenshots, videos).

- Same goes with distress calls and convoys. However, I am not a professional deep-space explorer (I have my Elite exploration rank, but that's it - I never wandered beyond 1000 Ly since I've got it), so again - evidence is needed.

- Umm... Not sure what you've meant with trading beacons - you say they cannot be found in inhabited systems (which is wrong), but then you say "they spawn with states"?

- Umm... Not sure what you've meant with trading beacons - you say they cannot be found in inhabited systems (which is wrong), but then you say "they spawn with states"?

i mean tis one "Mission Target: Trading Beacon" - those can be only in inhabited systems, because they spawn with states.

i'll post screenshots from my next expedition for the others :)

My list of book market threads is starting to be too long to fit in the view all at once...

Good job biohazard will +1 you

Good info, thanks!
However, it's mixed with persistent signals. Seeking stuff, Debris Field, Distribution Centre - these are persistent, and thus does not qualify as "true" USS. You can easily distinguish between the two: persistent signal can be seen if you fly closer than 1000 Ls (just like RES, CZs and Nav beacons), while "true" USS spawn randomly.

Also, about finding HGEs at Shipping Lanes: are you sure you weren't in Deep Space when HGE spawned? USS spawner looks for where the player ship is located - and thus it is indeed possible for HGE to spawn inside shipping lane, if player ship's speed and other factors caused USS to spawn inside it while player was flying in deep space.

Last edited:
I've been having a very hard time finding Polymer Capacitors. Perhaps they don't show up in USS's? From what I've read, they should be in HGE in Civil War systems, but while I've found lots of Military Supercapacitors/Alloys and some other rare materials, I've never seen the elusive Polymer Capacitor...

Used to be able to get them from missions, but haven't seen any there either.

Any suggestions? Am I looking in the wrong place?

I've been having a very hard time finding Polymer Capacitors. Perhaps they don't show up in USS's? From what I've read, they should be in HGE in Civil War systems, but while I've found lots of Military Supercapacitors/Alloys and some other rare materials, I've never seen the elusive Polymer Capacitor...

Used to be able to get them from missions, but haven't seen any there either.

Any suggestions? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Polymer Capacitors do not spawn in HGEs.
They may spawn in Encoded Emissions USS in anarchies, but that's a rare occurence. Seek Convoy Dispersal Pattern in anarchies, or head to high-intensity CZ and kill ships there. You may also try Checkpoints in anarchies in outbreak - there's T9 named "Evidence Storage" that drops CZ-grade materials when killed.

This is a fantastic guide, and has been very helpful to me. Did some HGE USS hunting tonight and found the three Proto (Radiolic Alloy, Light Alloy, Heat Radiator) in addition to Imperial Shielding. Was a good night. [up]

Last edited:
"Supercruise is a separate instance - players and NPCs flying in supercruise cannot see players and NPCs in normal space, and vice versa"

Actually that would be awesome! If it was the case that you could :)

Weapons Fire
Conditions: Any area of populated system ("SoI", "Shipping Lane" - very common, "Deep Space" - uncommon).
Threat level: from 1 to 4

- ... I have never encountered Encoded in uninhabited system, though. I might add it if there's more evidence (screenshots, videos).

- Same goes with distress calls and convoys. However, I am not a professional deep-space explorer (I have my Elite exploration rank, but that's it - I never wandered beyond 1000 Ly since I've got it), so again - evidence is needed.

after a lot of degraded USS, i proudly present a "Weapons Fire Detected thret 4"-USS in an UNINHABITED system 285 ly from the next inhabited system...

0HUMbAZ.png

(contained pirate wing)

I'm positive I'll find convoys and encoded emissions in the upcoming weeks, too ... we'll see.

Fantastic guide.!

However, I never knew this existed due it it being the the dangerous discussion section.

Maybe it should be stickied in the guides bit?
I know there's less traffic there, but it's easily found then.

after a lot of degraded USS, i proudly present a "Weapons Fire Detected thret 4"-USS in an UNINHABITED system 285 ly from the next inhabited system...

http://i.imgur.com/0HUMbAZ.png

(contained pirate wing)

I'm positive I'll find convoys and encoded emissions in the upcoming weeks, too ... we'll see.

That's a great finding! +Rep and Thank You!
Going to add this right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic guide.!

However, I never knew this existed due it it being the the dangerous discussion section.

Maybe it should be stickied in the guides bit?
I know there's less traffic there, but it's easily found then.

Link to it can also be found in a very useful "Alec's best of the forum" thread - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/321074-Alec-s-best-of-the-forum-(and-elsewhere)-thread.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom