I would like to preface this by saying I may be completely off the mark.

It's a sad truth of these forums that when someone thinks they have “discovered something” they immediately think they are right with no room for error. So.. I could be wrong.

Last night just before bed I was pondering the Unknown artifacts again, we never really figured them out. We have almost no information about them and yet they are significant enough that Fdev put them in the game as a hidden interaction following the Proteus wave incident.

Several questions are still lingering:

• What are they?
  • What are they for?
  • Why did the Thargoids create them?
  • How do they relate to the Proteus wave?
  • Do they have some significance regarding Update 14 content?

With those questions in mind when I awoke this morning I set out to give them another look over and I have come to a wild hypothesis. (Tinfoil time if you have it).

The Unknown Artifacts are possibly some kind of proto-maelstrom.

I know, I know, evidence right? So. I will again add a preface that I do not have any video recording equipment so all I have is pictures taken from in-game but nothing I will say in relation to my observations isn't readily viewable by you the reader if you have one of the artifacts kicking about. Let's start with an array of images of the Artifact on the surface of a random world. (I don't think the type of world is important in regard to the observations).

Relic 1.jpg
Relic 2.jpg

Relic 3.jpg
Relic 4.jpg

As you can see in each image there are several things of note:

• It is green (guardian artifacts are blue) suggesting that it has in someway been changed physically by the Thargoids
  • It seems to have a “core” which is made up of a sphere-like object surrounded by a Polyhedron reminiscent of a D20 from tabletop gaming (not relevant but its the only reference I could think of :D)
  • Surrounding the “core” is a slowly expanding gas cloud that actually reaches beyond the surface of the Artifact. (See the below images of the relic inside the maelstrom for a better view).
  • Yellow Lightning can be seen arcing across the artifact looking like it's either traveling from one end to the other (through the core) or emanating from the core itself. I am honestly unsure which is accurate. It may be both.
  • The exterior of the artifact is damaged and several large chunks are missing. Could this mean that whatever the Thargoids did, they brute-forced it?
  • Finally, there are several guardian markings on the outside that appear similar to the obelisk markings found at almost all guardian sites in the galaxy. (I think this is just left over from its time as a normal artifact)
Relic in Maelstrom 1.jpg
Relic in Malestrom 2.jpg

The above images were taken after ejecting the artifact into space within the edges of the Taranis Maelstrom. I was unsure if there would be an interaction but i thought it important to try.

Ok Enough Rambling, the question your probably asking is how did I reach my above theory?

What we know of the maelstrom so far is that its structure appears to be (outside to inside):

• A large and expansive gas cloud filled with lightning and various thargoid vehicles and structures.
  • A somewhat denser layer of the gas cloud that is immediately caustic in a roughly spherical shape around the “core”
  • A roughly spherical core of undulating unknown material that is red in coloration that is easily 60-70km in radius
  • An unknown structure at the center has been described by Fdev as the largest structure they have ever put into the game (what this means we have no idea).
Maelstrom lightning.png
Maelstrom core.png

The images above are: lightning within the maelstrom and the maelstrom core respectively and are here for visual reference.

I am incredibly bad at using art programs but here's my bad paintbrush attempt to visually explain my hypothesis:

Relic structure.jpg

My hypothesis suggests that the purple circle roughly correlates to the maelstrom cloud, the blue polyhedron to the inner caustic core (or the core we currently cannot bypass that surrounds the center), and the red circle is the core itself. We can see the lightning in both the relic and the maelstrom.

Does this mean I have any more answers? No. I still don't know what this means if anything at all but if anyone has some more interesting ideas to add please feel free to add them. If I like the look of your ideas I will add them to the original post with credit to the relevant CMDRs that contributed.

o7

A brief addendum to this. I realize these are "unclassified" and not "unknown" that's an error on my part but the theory is still sound (I think :D)

It seems to have a “core” which is made up of a sphere-like object surrounded by a Polyhedron reminiscent of a D20 from tabletop gaming (not relevant but its the only reference I could think of :D)
This is the only wrong assertion i read.
Guardian relics have it too, but it is hard to see it (before changing my graphic card i never saw the core).
Depending on the light orientation (and a good cg :p) you can see it.

Guardian relics have it too, but it is hard to see it (before changing my graphic card i never saw the core).
that's fair. I had considered that might be the case. I ran out of time to check. I wouldn't want to go into speculation about the thought patterns of Thargoids etc here since we know almost nothing on that front. it's possible that they took the maelstrom idea from seeing that structure within the relics? who knows. It's pure speculation at that point. It could be that we are seeing the Thargoid variants of hybrid Guardian tech. something they learned was possible from us?

Interesting theory. These items haven't played their part yet, and I'd all but forgotten them once the stargoids showed up.

You look to far into this. Look at this more simple, from a game design perspective. That way you will realize that it's just a key to line of thargoid-guardian hybrid tech that will be available to us in future.

As for narrative progression.. From same game design perspective i can only imagine that Ram Tah eventually will come up with idea to put it into one of guardian structures. He will explain, that he changed something in signature bla bla, so now structure should recognize this object as relic and it will be an excuse to explain why it didn't worked before when we (players) tried it.

That's as far as it can go. Because it's a simple thing to do both in gameplay and in story.

Could be interesting to steal the probe and then drop one of them in its place
I recorded this a while back, of general interceptor reactions to them.

Source: https://youtu.be/fCh2T261jcE

Summary:
  • they react like you have guardian artefacts on board (with hostility)
  • they scoop them up (like thargoid items/ meta alloys)
  • like thargoid items/ meta alloys, drop 5 or more and they'll call another interceptor to help out.

No other interactions observed.... i personally doubt the orthrus would react differently, but might be worth a check.

Of note as well... thargoid reactions outside the human bubble are "status quo"... no instant aggro like you get in the war systems.

That way you will realize that it's just a key to line of thargoid-guardian hybrid tech that will be available to us in future.
I had a thought along that line of thinking recently: has anybody tried shoving one of these Unclassified Relics into a Guardian Site after Update 14 dropped, and if so, did anything... mysterious happen?

If not, I'd be happy to jump over to one and try it out.

I was going to say the same thing about the thing inside the relic.

Some images of it in an old post of mine here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...eries-thread-9-the-canonn.300054/post-5044567

I was actually looking for the Market Description of the Ancient Relic when I found the old post, as there’s always been an interesting part in it in the context:

"It is beautiful to behold, but beyond that - what secret does it contain?"

(I can’t find the full text. The link to it in my old post is broken.)

I had a thought along that line of thinking recently: has anybody tried shoving one of these Unclassified Relics into a Guardian Site after Update 14 dropped, and if so, did anything... mysterious happen?

If not, I'd be happy to jump over to one and try it out.
I did go to test this out just now - nothing. The Guardian Structure did not accept the UR, nor did anything strange happen when I scanned the Floating Ball of Truth™ with the UR in my Scorpion's cargo hold.

I was going to say the same thing about the thing inside the relic.

Some images of it in an old post of mine here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...eries-thread-9-the-canonn.300054/post-5044567

I was actually looking for the Market Description of the Ancient Relic when I found the old post, as there’s always been an interesting part in it in the context:

"It is beautiful to behold, but beyond that - what secret does it contain?"

(I can’t find the full text. The link to it in my old post is broken.)
There is a confusion in-game with "Ancient Relic"
There are 2 of them:
  • the Guardian Relic, that can be found on guardian sites.
  • and an "Ancient Relic" which is human, unfoundable at this moment.

There are 2 of them:
Possibly, but the Market Description that I mentioned was definitely for the Guardian one.

Checking EDDB, all the Guardian stuff now seems to be ‘Guardian <object>’ whereas they all used to be ‘Ancient <object>’. Can’t check in game right now, but have the names all simply been updated?

If so it may be that the confusion you mention is just down to the name having changed.

There are 2 of them:
I think you mean Ancient Artefact

Before the Guardian items were announced as being Guardian, they were named "Ancient Relic, Orb, Tablet etc."

Just to be explicit
Unknown Artefact - Now Thargoid Sensor
Ancient Relic - Now Guardian Relic
Ancient Artefact - The human salvage item

Top Bottom