Unreal Engine 5

There always is a cost. That proprietary engine needs to be valuated at fair market price. There is dev cost, depreciation, opportunity costs. And Mole who hates us going on about accounting. looks over shoulder

Seems to be readily available, old school Planeshift has changed from proprietary engine to UE5, and if you are going to look for a niche MMO with small player base and little marketing beyond word of mouth you can't look past that as the prime example;

Old game engine versus new game engine, UE5;

1686755575256.png

Go the the webpage for the large image, to big to post here and not going to bother resizing.

Seems to be readily available, old school Planeshift has changed from proprietary engine to UE5, and if you are going to look for a niche MMO with small player base and little marketing beyond word of mouth you can't look past that as the prime example;

View attachment 358619

Go the the webpage for the large image, to big to post here and not going to bother resizing.
You find easier staff that is familiar working with UE. That is a big point when you hire. Getting devs to learn a proprietary engine isn't trivial. But I meant cost regarding the in-house engines. These aren't "free" and need valuation so you have a measure at what cost you produce goods. And what revenue you do not tap for licensing out e.g. - that is untapped revenue due to strategic decision.

Except for Unity, but that's more management than development.....they just decided to drop out of the race themselves!
Unity's still in a race, but it's to see how much the board can loot before it dies. A lot of devs switched a few years ago when it was looking like doom, the scope of the exodus will be apparent in a year or two as those games are still cooking.

View attachment 358619

Which page? Switching engines isn't enough without current-gen models, textures and animations.

Which page? Switching engines isn't enough without current-gen models, textures and animations.

Switching engines is the first big step, you can't put current gen models, textures and animation into the "old" engine that doesn't support them before switching over, you have to switch over first then start replacing your models, textures and animations, it takes time when you are running everything with a tiny team with only a couple of people doing the work.

Next Gen Destruction Toolkit - Launch Trailer (Unreal Engine 5 Chaos Destruction)

This will be a new standard in current gen video games.

CDPR is also going for the UR engine, what that will mean for upcoming games I don't know what I do know is that even if they manage to implement 3rd person view it will not do games like CP2077 and good because they should be played as FPV, you play as a character not playing a character if you get my point. The Immersion will be lost in 3rd person view. The problem in CP2077 was that the 3rd person view sucked balls, the shadows was weird so something strange was going on with the lighting model.

This is what a ship interior looks like in Unreal Engine 5 (starts at 6:53). The graphics quality is "current gen" (or soon). ED's graphics are cartoony by comparison due to the lower quality lighting, level of detail, and material effects. Still it would be nice to have ship interiors in ED. The graphics can be improved overtime.

Last edited:
The engine is developing and is pleasing, sometimes of course there are mistakes, but they are quickly corrected, it seems to me that with 1 or 2 more versions there will be almost 100% realism. The only sad thing is that there are very few professional teams capable of implementing it 100%.Otherwise, the resources of your PC will not withstand such torment and you will need to use help from third-party services, such as epiccarry, for achievements.

Last edited:
The engine is developing and is pleasing, sometimes of course there are mistakes, but they are quickly corrected, it seems to me that with 1 or 2 more versions there will be almost 100% realism. The only sad thing is that there are very few professional teams capable of implementing it 100%.
Who cares, games don't need 100% realism. Although I wish we already had that milestone and the stupid arms race for fidelity can finally end. But who am I kidding there will be just the next trend to chase that has nothing to do with game design but rather flashy looks.

Who cares, games don't need 100% realism. Although I wish we already had that milestone and the stupid arms race for fidelity can finally end. But who am I kidding there will be just the next trend to chase that has nothing to do with game design but rather flashy looks.
I can partly agree with you, because there is always a caste of people who choose a product based on its cover, I mean because of the juicy picture and nothing more.

Top Bottom