Update 14, nowhere near enough.

After months of scratching my backside looking for things to do in-game, trying to show the game some loyalty, I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that update 14 hasn't gone in any way towards making ED playable again, it's just a case of "same old, same old". Thargoid combat never rewarded you with anything worthwhile, all you got was money and who needs money? I have billions of credits with nothing to buy with it, so ultimately what's the point?
I was hoping the Frontier was going to provide one, but they've failed miserably and we're expected to wait for future patches to give us something that they might not even have on their agenda.

My friend and I will still keep playing, but at a reduced tempo to reflect the overall disappointment of the release which have to the conclusion that we can sum up update 14 in one word....

"Meh"

How many hours have you played?
Like me old Wulfie has logged well over 6000 hours in game and we've kinda done with Thargoid combat, so a variation on what has been a fairly old game mechanic has left us a bit disappointed, after all Odyssey was all about boots on the ground and here we are back in space shooting and researching the old bugs.

I guess Thargoid ground combat is being saved for a later update or perhaps a paid DLC....

My friend and I will still keep playing, but at a reduced tempo to reflect the overall disappointment of the release which have to the conclusion that we can sum up update 14 in one word....
Are you in a player group? Do you RP?

What do you people want? Probably the single largest addition in years, and you're not happy.

If you are looking for on foot content, odyssey's payouts for exobiology increased 25 fold. Try that.
Reach Elite V in a couple of hours and then what?

after all Odyssey was all about boots on the ground and here we are back in space shooting and researching the old bugs.
And then you have threads of people complaining about Odyssey, saying that Elite is a game fundamentally about flying in space, and that Odyssey has taken away from that so they want more of it.

This game is damned if it does, and damned if it doesn't.

What do you people want? Probably the single largest addition in years, and you're not happy.

If you are looking for on foot content, odyssey's payouts for exobiology increased 25 fold. Try that.
Exobiology is very shallow and samey to be honest. It wouldn't have been so bad if the fauna had been procedurally generated, as then at least discovering weird and wonderful things that no one else has set eyes on would make it a bit more worthwhile. Scanning copy and pasted plants gets old quickly, and making it more profitable adds nothing to make it any more interesting.

The "largest addition in years" is all fine and well, but so far its all focused on pew pew and obviously gearing up for another round of the engineering grind very soon. Fun for some I guess (y)

Exobiology is very shallow and samey to be honest. It wouldn't have been so bad if the fauna had been procedurally generated, as then at least discovering weird and wonderful things that no one else has set eyes on would make it a bit more worthwhile. Scanning copy and pasted plants gets old quickly, and making it more profitable adds nothing to make it any more interesting.

The "largest addition in years" is all fine and well, but so far its all focused on pew pew and obviously gearing up for another round of the engineering grind very soon. Fun for some I guess (y)
It's deeper than it looks. It's not as simple as just scanning a planet and flying down to the blue spots, even inside the blue spots, plants will only grow in certain places in accordance with their biological tendencies. It could be improved, but it's well worth a look.

I take Zopiclone for my sleeplessness, I suppose I could do exobiology, in that way at least I wouldn't need medication. And you say 25 times more payout? did you not read the part about me already having billions to spare with nothing to spend it on?
At least I can say with all honesty, I've given the game a good old "Country Go", it would have been nice had something of substance been added to 14, as it stands, it's pretty much a death knell in my opinion and a wasted opportunity by the Devs.

k6zDYa2.jpg

O7

I take Zopiclone for my sleeplessness, I suppose I could do exobiology, in that way at least I wouldn't need medication. And you say 25 times more payout? did you not read the part about me already having billions to spare with nothing to spend it on?
At least I can say with all honesty, I've given the game a good old "Country Go", it would have been nice had something of substance been added to 14, as it stands, it's pretty much a death knell in my opinion and a wasted opportunity by the Devs.
Exobiology is way more exciting than vanilla exploration, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

Now this I do agree with; for a company that created a procedurally generated galaxy, it does make me scratch my head. I'll never stop having wonder when I head to planet fall looking at the scars, ravines, hills, mountains and craters, at the sheer depth of it.

To then come up with what seems like a last minute (although I am sure it took more than that in coding time) attempt to give explorers something to do, why they went down the route of [types] x [colours] x [sizes] of plant life to scan. Not for a moment am I suggesting that procedurally generated plant life would be easy - but surely it would have been in line with the company kudos and reputation to do so?

I don't think they'll ever do earth-likes for this reason alone. I mean, procedurally generating life and stages of life on a planet would be one HELL of a task! Having seen FD's approach to the 'simple' plant life solution (i.e., several types per planet), this I feel will never happen.

Development is never easy. Either don't do it or do it damn fine and damn right.

the problem is, it's an addition to something they've already done. There are ALOT of people who haven't done Thargoid combat who are about to jump into it. I'm readying an AX ship and trying to properly engineer it. The thing is, they've done that already, been there and gotten the T-shirt. What they are not considering is that this phase isn't likely targetted towards them. I mean we are told that there are going to be multiple phases to this narriative, and 7 more stargoids on the way. I mean, there are supposedly non combat relating "contributions to the war effort" on their way. So perhaps it's part of a larger roll out.

After months of scratching my backside looking for things to do in-game, trying to show the game some loyalty, I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that update 14 hasn't gone in any way towards making ED playable again, it's just a case of "same old, same old".
Hmmm. With U14, we can try to save humanity via combat. Or station rescues, cargo trading, trying to figure out what makes the maelstroms tick, etc. Lots more to do than combat.

With the Thargoid invasions now being tied to the BGS, we either save the systems under attack (via combat, trade, rescue missions) or we ignore them and one by one all those systems fall, and goodbye bubble. That is new. Glad I am not part of a PMF about to be taken over by the goids

So yes same game mechanics as before but totally different reason(s). And the CG's and narrative will be totally different going forward as well. I like the approach. And EDH 3.8 (Legacy) is there for those who prefer the old galaxy.

With the Thargoid invasions now being tied to the BGS, we either save the systems under attack (via combat, trade, rescue missions) or we ignore them and one by one all those systems fall, and goodbye bubble. That is new. Glad I am not part of a PMF about to be taken over by the goids
As with any PMF struggles, some are bound to work FOR the 'goids against their neighbours...

Top Bottom