Update 14, nowhere near enough.

It's deeper than it looks. It's not as simple as just scanning a planet and flying down to the blue spots, even inside the blue spots, plants will only grow in certain places in accordance with their biological tendencies. It could be improved, but it's well worth a look.
It's pretty shallow. Supposedly they were supposed to redo the scanning mechanic but that has not emerged since Alpha/Beta. Plants once you have seen them all is fairly yawn inducing. I mean you can't talk up a turd.

Because of course they would. But that may be short sighted, if your enemy bgs down the road is the only buffer between the thargs and your own PMF systems... What do you do? Do you have a new Frenemy BGS down the road? Or erase them first, and worry about your own PMF later? The choices we all make

What do you people want? Probably the single largest addition in years, and you're not happy.

If you are looking for on foot content, odyssey's payouts for exobiology increased 25 fold. Try that.
I want the engineering re-balance they apparently aren't doing, after all.
I also want a way to get Guardian tech that doesn't involve an SVR and does require combat.

And then you have threads of people complaining about Odyssey, saying that Elite is a game fundamentally about flying in space, and that Odyssey has taken away from that so they want more of it.

This game is damned if it does, and damned if it doesn't.

Those Thargoid Lagrange Clouds with mines aren't really new (except for the exploding part).

If they spread development more evenly between space and first-person content on planets then there'd probably be less complaints. Fdev could've done both in this update, but they decided to cut-back on development scope and it shows.

Last edited:
Those Thargoid Lagrange Clouds with mines aren't really new (except for the exploding part).

If they spread development more evenly between space and first-person content on planets then there'd probably be less complaints. Fdev could've done both in this update, but they decided to cut-back on development scope and it shows.
It's not an infinite team, they have to use their limited resource to best effect.

It's deeper than it looks. It's not as simple as just scanning a planet and flying down to the blue spots, even inside the blue spots, plants will only grow in certain places in accordance with their biological tendencies. It could be improved, but it's well worth a look.
It's really not. Fly down, scan, move, scan, move scan, repeat!

An engineered suit that could hold 2, 3 or 4 samples so I can do exo with multiple samples would be a massive improvement.

It's really not. Fly down, scan, move, scan, move scan, repeat!

An engineered suit that could hold 2, 3 or 4 samples so I can do exo with multiple samples would be a massive improvement.

That's not how it works at all, lol. If you do it blindly you'll waste a huge amount of time looking where there's nothing.

You need to check the codex and look in the right places, and that takes some skill and knowledge.

The intro 'cutscene' looking like it was made in powerpoint kinda sets the expectation low when booting the update for the first time. There are so many talented content creators for this game who would have jumped at the chance to help make something polished.
I did have a little laugh at how silly some of the animations looked (especially that Orca shattering like glass!), though as someone who has been learning how to work with DaVinci Resolve's Fusion node wrangler of doom for silly YouTube videos, I do have much respect for the animators behind it. It may look trivial to do, but trust me:

1669850233698.png

It isn't - and that's just for a few outlines, some text, a subvideo and a waveformy thing and their outlines, and a simulated TV screen effect - not including any audio effects / voiceovers in addition to that 🥶

Yeah I don't get why they didn't use actual in-game footage or pre-rendered with the original ship models.
I've been wondering the same... we used to have fully animated and voice acted out-of-game cutscenes like this one:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5XRWy7Cq9U

That's not how it works at all, lol. If you do it blindly you'll waste a huge amount of time looking where there's nothing.

You need to check the codex and look in the right places, and that takes some skill and knowledge.
Even with 3 plants, spaced 500m apart (just to give perfect pre-requisites), it still works that way.
Land, scan, move, scan, move, scan, watch it purge/complete, repeat. No skill, no knowledge, and VERY mind numbing. Its only saving grace at this stage is the high payout.

Even with 3 plants, spaced 500m apart (just to give perfect pre-requisites), it still works that way.
Land, scan, move, scan, move, scan, watch it purge/complete, repeat. No skill, no knowledge, and VERY mind numbing. Its only saving grace at this stage is the high payout.
You have to FIND the plants in the first place. Sure, it's easy for plants like Cactoida or Frutexa, but plants like Osseus or Fungoida or even rarer ones? MUCH trickier.

I take Zopiclone for my sleeplessness, I suppose I could do exobiology, in that way at least I wouldn't need medication. And you say 25 times more payout? did you not read the part about me already having billions to spare with nothing to spend it on?
At least I can say with all honesty, I've given the game a good old "Country Go", it would have been nice had something of substance been added to 14, as it stands, it's pretty much a death knell in my opinion and a wasted opportunity by the Devs.
Have you tried offering any positive suggestions on how to make exploration viable in these most trying of times?
That might help since i don't see many of those...

Have you tried offering any positive suggestions on how to make exploration viable in these most trying of times?
That might help since i don't see many of those...
Make the scanner tool modable, more than just 1 sample canisters. Would be a great start.
Remove that minimum radius for samples.
Able to pulse scan from the SRV (if that minimum radius has to stay).

And for the love of whatever you believe in: Something interesting to find! We've been having barren planets since Horizon.
Fdev owns the right to dinosaurs, and they even have the assets. Slap some of those in and you have a winner!

Make the scanner tool modable, more than just 1 sample canisters. Would be a great start.
Remove that minimum radius for samples.
Able to pulse scan from the SRV (if that minimum radius has to stay).

And for the love of whatever you believe in: Something interesting to find! We've been having barren planets since Horizon.
Fdev owns the right to dinosaurs, and they even have the assets. Slap some of those in and you have a winner!
It started well enough but we really don't need dino's or the game would just be accused of copying other stuff..
The point i'm making is if you don't use your imagination and request stuff, you will have zero chance of getting anything and if you tie it into the current narrative, a much better chance.
No one speaks on behalf of exploration, you(explorers) need to get your ideas across because there's not been much here that i've seen recently..

Top Bottom