Update 18.04 | Python MK II

By the way, I have some strange error, always manifests itself, on different ships with different FSD SCO.
I take off from the planet, gravity capture is removed, I turn on the SC and then the boost and I write that the boost is canceled because of the capture, but on the indicator on the right - the capture has long been turned off.

By the way, I have some strange error, always manifests itself, on different ships with different FSD SCO.
I take off from the planet, gravity capture is removed, I turn on the SC and then the boost and I write that the boost is canceled because of the capture, but on the indicator on the right - the capture has long been turned off.
You must first have passed the drop point. Only then can you overload.

WHAT a a waste of MONEY I WANT MY 12.99 Back It is crap compared to my other fleet ships.
Bloody furious. One person mentions swearing I will really kick off.

Seems to be a skill issue.
It's not better than the FDL but I would not call it bad.
Well I run FDL, vette, cutter, python, krait mkii, both passenger ships and my DB exployer. All fully engineered G5. They do all that i like. I do not do PVP or Mining. So mostly in solo other than when i am with 1 or 2 people. I also have my carrier. Which I am just leaving Colonia.

I do like the look of mk2 but looks is not the thing in elite IMO.

What got my back really up was I thought it would be engineered somewhat. Not the case. I should have just got the standard MK2.
I spent my birthday money on it. Three Score years and Ten.

Last edited:
I travel a lot via Apex when doing settlement missions, or scouting stations for pre-engineered suits/weapons.
In my opinion, it was a great addition!
I'm sorry, that's not what I was asking. Apex cabs with the existing FSD in them are modified by the engineers ?
Improved jump range, etc.

The planning of a route can potentially take some time, but the actual process of jumping is about eight seconds of aligning the ship during cooldown and then at a minimum a ~30 second loading screen.
Sure... but that's a drop in the bucket compared to 8-30 minutes for an average-to-long supercruise journey, and you only need be aligned at the end of those 8 seconds, so you can save time there. It doesn't really compare.

The 'witch space' loading screen time is highly variable depending on your system & your connection as well; I don't believe mine are as long as 30 seconds most of the time, and I have a pretty budget PC especially by today's standards.

We're all going to be using them, when we get around to upgrading new sets of FSD modules.
That about sums it up for me. Although I may put one on my Phantom along the way.
NPCs don't buy ARX, they'll have to wait!
I cussed you for this, as I was going to say the very same.... GRRR!
who moves by cab
You may be surprised!
It is crap compared to my other fleet ships.
How we see things differently - I spent a few hours with one of the squadron trying various combat missions, we had a great time and both thought it was a fun ship to fly.
I spent my birthday money on it. Three Score years and Ten.
Mine got a bottle of single Malt Welsh... I had Arx to get the pre-build 🥳

Sure... but that's a drop in the bucket compared to 8-30 minutes for an average-to-long supercruise journey, and you only need be aligned at the end of those 8 seconds, so you can save time there. It doesn't really compare.

The 'witch space' loading screen time is highly variable depending on your system & your connection as well; I don't believe mine are as long as 30 seconds most of the time, and I have a pretty budget PC especially by today's standards.

I'm not sure if it's changed recently, but for a very long time the absolute floor (empty system to empty system with very conservative galaxy map/background settings for the client system) used to be ~35 second from jump to jump, including cooldown and charge time. Admittedly, there is the potential for other things to be going on during charge and cool down that can constitute gameplay, but there is a nearly 20 second interval where one doesn't have the ability to abort, where the ship doesn't even respond to control inputs, each and every jump.

The only place in a supercruise trip you cannot save time is when there is no more manuvering that can be done to escape gravity wells, nor utilize them to slow down faster, and there is at least the potential for an encounter of some kind at almost any time in SC. Sure, longer SC runs typically don't involve much, but I don't think the portion of SC time where one can easily, an without sacrifice, do something other than fly the ship is that dramatically different from the time spent in hyperspace, though this will vary from player to player.

Even if use the twenty second figure for average time spent in the final hyperspace countdown and loading the next system, I've still spent hundreds of hours in that situation (~48k hyperspace jumps on my CMDR). I've certainly done long SC runs before, but the overwhelming majority are short jaunts where I am actively piloting the bulk of the trip.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's changed recently, but for a very long time the absolute floor (empty system to empty system with very conservative galaxy map/background settings for the client system) used to be ~35 second from jump to jump, including cooldown and charge time. Admittedly, there is the potential for other things to be going on during charge and cool down that can constitute gameplay, but there is a nearly 20 second interval where one doesn't have the ability to abort, where the ship doesn't even respond to control inputs, each and every jump.

The only place in a supercruise trip you cannot save time is when there is no more manuvering that can be done to escape gravity wells, nor utilize them to slow down faster, and there is at least the potential for an encounter of some kind at almost any time in SC. Sure, longer SC runs typically don't involve much, but I don't think the portion of SC time where one can easily, an without sacrifice, do something other than fly the ship is that dramatically different from the time spent in hyperspace, though this will vary from player to player.

Even if use the twenty second figure for average time spent in the final hyperspace countdown and loading the next system, I've still spent hundreds of hours in that situation (~48k hyperspace jumps on my CMDR). I've certainly done long SC runs before, but the overwhelming majority are short jaunts where I am actively piloting the bulk of the trip.
Fair enough about the time per jump, but it is loading time, which is an understandable timesink (though one does wonder how much shorter it could be with modern tech engine-side).

I think your claim about SC timesink being equatable to the hyperspace time only holds true if you are indeed sticking to 'short jaunts', which excludes a great portion of in-system content in the game; whether a system has enough bodies (or large enough ones) to make well-navigation worthwhile, is also pretty situational - most of the time it's just straight line A-B stuff, and no amount of maneuvering you do is going to overrule the acceleration/deceleration rate cap (unless we include the SCA trick getting around the 6s rule, I guess). There are some things such as when you get closer to a destination and if your station is on the far side of the planet & following the orbit line, and so on, but that's generally just the final minute of any given trip.

I would wager that if hyperspace has taken up hundreds of hours, supercruise would be in the thousands.

A contributing factor might be joystick vs kb/m; I imagnie you might feel more actively in-control of what's going on during supercruise in a full HOTAS setup, whereas KB/M 'dead space' feels much the same in either case.

~~~

At any rate - now that it's apparent that there's hidden stats to the SCOs heat/fuel efficiencies making each of the choices interesting (aside from E), I'm going to have to sit down and play the game for myself. Imagine! May even convince myself to hold off engineering til the balance update hits - should give me time to consider what type of SCO I want to use.

Fair enough about the time per jump, but it is loading time, which is an understandable timesink (though one does wonder how much shorter it could be with modern tech engine-side).

There has to be a floor that is reasonably easy for everyone to reach, for balance purposes. The floor is just over 15 seconds (probably the full standard duration of the witchspace animation), currently, no matter how fast one's system is or how low one's settings are. If it were significantly shorter, then those with powerful systems would have an unassailable advantage in distance travel and pursuit.

For example, with settings that significantly harmed loading times (which I often use away from nebulae where they don't have this negative effect), I've been in situations where I went from being able to escape from essentially any encounter with a high-wake then forced drop as usual, to occasionally not even finishing loading the system until after those chasing my CMDR were already there.

I think your claim about SC timesink being equatable to the hyperspace time only holds true if you are indeed sticking to 'short jaunts', which excludes a great portion of in-system content in the game

If I'm not enamored with the idea a long SC trip at the time, I can and do select destinations that don't involve them. That's part of the point; one is rarely required to make those longer treks. There are more stations than I've ever been to that are within a couple hundred LS of the parent star.

On the other hand, I suppose one doesn't need to jump frequently either.

I would wager that if hyperspace has taken up hundreds of hours, supercruise would be in the thousands.

I've spent ~270 hours in witchspace on my CMDR in the live game since the gamma reset. I would not be surprised if I've spent two or three times as long in SC, but I'm doubtful it's much more than that. Most of my flying is done in normal space.

A contributing factor might be joystick vs kb/m; I imagnie you might feel more actively in-control of what's going on during supercruise in a full HOTAS setup, whereas KB/M 'dead space' feels much the same in either case.

Honestly, I feel more in control with a HOTAS in pretty much any scenario. No matter how much I try, even if I eventually get pretty decent with KBM, I never really feel like I've got the same connection to the ship...probably because I don't. With a full HOTAS setup, all six degrees of motion have their own analog axis (if not more than one) and I never have to move my hands or feet from them. Fine aim is sometimes tricky with the thousands of hours I've got on these old controls, but for anything else the ship is almost an extension of my body.

If anything SC interferes with that a bit as many of the controls don't work in SC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom