Update 18.04 | Python MK II

Remember when anyone complained about SC transit times and invariably someone would post the Douglas Adams quote?

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

I think that quote will be gathering dust in future 😂

(To me, the new drives feel like pressing “J” in original Elite or 5x StarDreamer in the Frontier games. I’m not complaining - but I wish they’d kept some downside to fitting the new drives)

My antipathy for the increasing abbreviation of travel times and my desire for a more interactive SC has nothing to do with the cost required to upgrade the new SCO drives. I'm simply not a fan of inflationary additions.
Excuse me, but I couldn't translate your sentence to make sense of it.

A person buys a new video card and throws away/sells the old one, he is not asking for a lesser amount of money to re-solder upgrade the old video card.

Last edited:
people that like to immerse in the universe and the setting, fast travel it not a QOL
I don't wish to be contradictory, but it is a QoL addition if I want to go 12KLS to Selene Jean and take less time than the 880LS from my star to carrier, as I'm just visiting the engineer to do one tiny job. The player is able to choose if they wish to speed up distance SC flight, or just carry on as normal.
I'm certainly thinking of the vanilla P2 as a carrier based sightseer in the future, being able to get to the secondary / tertiary stars in a system in a reasonable time could be very good for my QoL!
I hope you'll like it when FD start selling FCs, engineering materials, superpower ranks, engineer unlocks, exclusive modules and exclusive ships
I hope they sell everything and its dog on the store, I'd be very happy to see those allegegedly disadvantages new players able to buy themselves anything from day 1...

I'll also like it when I say no, how about you?

Has anyone pointed out how the trailer is a clear proof of how FDev doesn't play their own game even to record the trailer?

It says shipping lane on the left nav panel when the ship is clearly in some icy asteroid ring?
mpv-shot0016.jpg

It says Deep Space on the left nav panel even though it's on the surface of an atmospheric planet (Ovid A6, if it actually is in the Ovid system)
mpv-shot0019.jpg

for people that like to immerse in the universe and the setting, fast travel it not a QOL
Excuse me but no - I am one of those people and I think the SCO is perfect - it's removed the part of the process where you are literally doing nothing to pilot the ship and replaced it with something that requires an acquired skill.

Previously, when you were making the trip out to the second gas giant in the system you can do some mouselook (IF you are in an explorer ship) but you can't point the scanners at anything, can't FSS, you've already dealt with the terrestrials so you're sick of looking at the chart, etc, so that's not immersive. It's just staring at the screen. Except nobody actually does that, they switch to another window (or listen to the podcast they have on, in VR, I guess)

So it's QoL for long-range explorers or completer-finisher explorers.
I do accept there are people here who play ED completely like Truck Simulator and fine, but you really are into fractions of a per cent of the player base now AND if you really want to just truck stuff around, don't use boost.

I honestly thought the SCO release was a joke trolling all the people that complain about SC travel times by giving them a drive that sucks up all their fuel, heat damages their ship and flops about like a very flopping-about thing.

With the revisions, expanded range of modules and now engineering then the joke is on me. LOL

Has anyone pointed out how the trailer is a clear proof of how FDev doesn't play their own game even to record the trailer?

It says shipping lane on the left nav panel when the ship is clearly in some icy asteroid ring?
View attachment 392287

It says Deep Space on the left nav panel even though it's on the surface of an atmospheric planet (Ovid A6, if it actually is in the Ovid system)
View attachment 392288
TBH, I never even noticed, but had I done so it wouldn't have offended my sensibilities in the least, so I'm, obviously, not bothered in how they showcase their latest toy.

Most of the time, during my play, I'm not taking too much notice of where the nav panel think I may be, I'm too busy keeping an eye on where I'm going, and what may be around me.

I honestly thought the SCO release was a joke trolling all the people that complain about SC travel times by giving them a drive that sucks up all their fuel, heat damages their ship and flops about like a very flopping-about thing.

With the revisions, expanded range of modules and now engineering then the joke is on me. LOL
It still guzzles fuel like crazy though. But at least we can mitigate that with extra fuel tanks.

Yeah, I like the new drives, have engineered some A rated SCOs on a handful of ships and am enjoying boosting to non-trivial destinations within systems. Even if I overshoot and do the loop of shame it's still much quicker than before, and I feel that I'm actually playing the game much closer to 100% - balancing drift/heat/fuel - rather than being able to nip to the kitchen to put the kettle on. In that sense it's a literal game changer.

The only thing holding me back from a full fleet replacement is the lingering paranoia that after a spot of industrial espionage (or another Titan Drive CG) Sirius FSDs may yet receive some kind of upgrade to bring them back into contention.

Well looking at the specs of the ships available. Mining Forget it. Explorer The DB emmm Will My DB (grass hopper) jumps 40 % more is faster and better shield and better armed. The One I like is the Python Mk ii With all the gadgets, including the go faster stripes. But is it really worth it. NO not for me Now if it was a serious contender to my Vette maybe. But for a new player as a jump start Maybe.(y)

Last edited:
As far as the SCO is concerned, I have being playing this game for 10 years I have over 30 billion cr. I am happy with current travel times. I wish the engineering was less grinding, that really is my only real Gripe.

Excuse me, but I couldn't translate your sentence to make sense of it.

I'm saying that I like actual choice and trade-offs. What this new SCO drive gives us is straight inflation.

The cost of the upgrade is neither here nor there.

With hyperspace jumps, we always had something to do, not so for supercruise.

The planning of a route can potentially take some time, but the actual process of jumping is about eight seconds of aligning the ship during cooldown and then at a minimum a ~30 second loading screen.

I'm saying that I like actual choice and trade-offs. What this new SCO drive gives us is straight inflation.

The cost of the upgrade is neither here nor there.
I tried SCO out for the first time last night with the one fitted to my base Python MkII (bought with ARX earned in-game).

It's clearly a straight upgrade for the 1,500ls trip I did to a nearby planet, it wasn't a long enough trip to cook the ship or have any downside other than fuel usage & I can see myself adding it to most if not all of my fleet, particularly to remain competitive against other Cmdrs. There will be some practice required to interdict other Cmdrs but it should provide significant advantage to those that are paying attention & want to quickly move to another location to capitalise on an opportunity or avoid becoming a victim.

There is clearly some skill to using it (arguably not enough although perhaps there is more to it I haven't seen yet) making in-system trips both less dull and more interactive, and reduces the time exposed to danger in supercruise so the concept is a good solution to a lot of gripes about supercruise mostly being a boring time-sink. I found it very handy for escaping gravity wells in particular.

I do wonder whether human NPCs will gain this feature making them harder to interdict but overall it seems like a good way for Cmdrs to fast-track the boring travel times while retaining most of the dangers of supercruise during the deceleration phase.

Top Bottom