Update 18 | Update Notes

Whatever your opinions on today's update, I think we should all just be grateful that Frontier have not abandoned Elite. Many of us, including myself, were expecting the announcement of some sort maintenance mode during the Frontier livestream. Instead we got a renewed pledge to continue development past its original 10 year content plan, at least 4 new ships in a single year, a core feature overhaul, and a new gameplay feature. Whether all that is delivered flawlessly within 2024 remains to be seen, but I think we should all just appreciate that frontier have re-focused themselves on the game that made them and continues to be the pillar that holds them up.

Give credit where credit is due. And by all means give constructive criticism when it is due. But at the end of the day I think we need to appreciate what we have, and that Frontier has not sold themselves off to steaming piles of corporate crap like EA, nor do they behave like those major corporations. The game isn't aggressively monetised and they have the ARX system to compensate for what monetisation they have implemented.

I just think we should show a little bit more appreciation to the developers who have spent literally over a decade building up Elite to what it is today. Yes not everything happened smoothly and yes there were rough patches, but I think when we are all honest and take a good look at the current situation within the gaming industry, we can admit that it could be MUCH, MUCH worse.

Edit: I've downloaded the update, and I'm currently out exploring in Odin's Hold. I have already noticed several improvements that are not even mentioned in the patch notes. Some less noticeable, others more so. And all I've done is jump two systems and landed on a few planets for some exobiology. I've even noticed one fix/improvement that people were complaining about for years that aren't in the patch notes. I would even go as far to say that it feels like odyssey gameplay has gotten some performance optimisations but your mileage may vary with this one. Let's all give ourselves a chance to notice these undisclosed improvements and fixes before we log on for 5 minutes, see that the Python MkII isn't for sale in the shipyard and decry the update on the forums as "the worst ever".

o7
Well said, my friend well said...

@Paul_Crowther when you get a chance, this may be worth looking into.

1708976193325.png

Without changing traditions, a new patch means new errors!

In the corresponding markets, the marking of quest goods has disappeared, i.e. if you need, for example, to deliver 100 units of silver, this product was marked as a quest item indicating the corresponding quantity in accordance with the mission. Now these markings are gone!

During the initial scanning of the system with a detection scanner, previously we received credits for this, now in the geographic service there is “no data”, the scan is confirmed only by the FSS scanner...

Maybe this has already been written about, but these new errors are constantly being confirmed for me.

O
The game didn't get smaller. I still have the U17 asset directory (\Win64), which, sans logs, is 99%+ of the game*. If someone's install is going down in size, something else is being removed. A 6GB reduction sounds like someone accidentally deleted a year or two's worth of netlogs.

I haven't see any changes to performance yet either. I haven't tested CZs yet, but the tutorials and other settlements are well within margin of error.

* specifically, U17 patch 1 was 89,466 files with a total of 55,369,878,864 bytes, while U18 is 90,821 files and 55,706,915,815 bytes total.
OK - I guess I'm hearing mixed stories then.

Edit: my install increased by 0.3GB so yeah, sounds like rumours of a significant reduction and anything that might mean are just hearsay ... sorry I ever mentioned it.

Last edited:
serious question.. i have 4k hours in this game but never did any guardian or thargoid stuff.. just worked towards getting my carrier, all my pve ships and bubble engineering (not even done colonia yet). I feel really behind on what now seems to be the whole point of the game, i guess i didnt anticipate elite becoming an on-rails story. Is it even worth trying to get into the AX stuff now with no guardian gear or experience with AX combat? feels too late tbh.
It's not an on-rails story. The rest of the game hasn't gone away, either. Blaze your own trail.

Top Bottom