Update 18 | Update Notes

Hmm, when I downloaded the update, the launcher actually got stuck at 92% for hours. I finally clicked on "cancel", and to my surprise it just changed to "play". No error messages or anything. I tried launching the game and the version at the bottom left of the main menu did seem to indicate update 18. I shrugged it off. Maybe it was some kind of weird visual glitch in the launcher, where it stopped updating the text, or something, but in actuality the patch installed just fine?

However, I now tried the "validate files" button, and now it's apparently continuing from the 92%!

It may have been that the download/installation was incomplete but, for whatever reason, it still allowed me to play the game. I'll try letting it finish now and relaunch to see if the graphics are ok once again.

Edit: Now it seems to be stuck at 100%, doing nothing. The button still says "cancel installation". Has been like that for a good while now. I suppose I'll let it be for a good while more. I'll post an update if anything relevant changes.

Edit 2: Ok, apparently I just had to wait for long enough, and the installation did finally finish. And now the game is looking ok once again. So false alarm, I suppose.

ED_Odyssey_316.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, when I downloaded the update, the launcher actually got stuck at 92% for hours. I finally clicked on "cancel", and to my surprise it just changed to "play". No error messages or anything. I tried launching the game and the version at the bottom left of the main menu did seem to indicate update 18. I shrugged it off. Maybe it was some kind of weird visual glitch in the launcher, where it stopped updating the text, or something, but in actuality the patch installed just fine?

However, I now tried the "validate files" button, and now it's apparently continuing from the 92%!

It may have been that the download/installation was incomplete but, for whatever reason, it still allowed me to play the game. I'll try letting it finish now and relaunch to see if the graphics are ok once again.

Edit: Now it seems to be stuck at 100%, doing nothing. The button still says "cancel installation". Has been like that for a good while now. I suppose I'll let it be for a good while more. I'll post an update if anything relevant changes.

Edit 2: Ok, apparently I just had to wait for long enough, and the installation did finally finish. And now the game is looking ok once again. So false alarm, I suppose.

View attachment 384822
Glad its worked out and that just ended up as a heads up to the next person who sees it as to what to do.

Try changing ambient occlusion to any other value, save, than set it back to before.
Thanks, that did the trick.
The game has always had shadow issues that can be highly dependent on the specific area and relative position of the sun. It's possible that something changed with the update, but there were no changes to the shadow cascades themselves and the only LOD changes mentioned are for the Type-9 and the GU-97, not stations.
This wasn't normal, it was happening all over the place all of a sudden. Everything is back to normal now, thankfully. Still, I hope they do upgrade ultra shadow quality in the next update. They're really low quality.

Still, I hope they do upgrade ultra shadow quality in the next update. They're really low quality.

You can replace the preset shadow cascades. Doesn't fix all issues, but it can make shadows look a lot better than the default ultra setting.

I'm not sure why their AV is locking a game file? 🤷‍♂️

It's an executable with a checksum that isn't in their database yet. It probably locks all such files.

Can someone tell me, from a mechanics perspective, what this means?

"Caustic sinks will now drain existing caustic one at a time."

One what? One stack? One point of damage?

I'm in the process of unlocking the caustic sink launcher when the update dropped. so not sure I fully understand the mechanics of how they worked to begin with. I know caustic damage stacks, so does this mean if I have 4 stacks of caustic damage it will only absorb 25%?

Help appreciated.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Can someone tell me, from a mechanics perspective, what this means?

"Caustic sinks will now drain existing caustic one at a time."

One what? One stack? One point of damage?

I'm in the process of unlocking the caustic sink launcher when the update dropped. so not sure I fully understand the mechanics of how they worked to begin with. I know caustic damage stacks, so does this mean if I have 4 stacks of caustic damage it will only absorb 25%?

Help appreciated.
I believe this means that when you have multiple CSL's, only one will be filling up, gathering the caustic substance from your hull. The other one will remain empty. (Until the 1st one runs out of sinks? That's a guess.)

I believe this means that when you have multiple CSL's, only one will be filling up, gathering the caustic substance from your hull. The other one will remain empty. (Until the 1st one runs out of sinks? That's a guess.)
I have 3 CSL's running and they all seem to be filling up as before, ie 1,2 then 3, jettison and repeat, not sure i noticed a change 🤷‍♂️

O7

That's what they already did, before the update. There doesn't seem to be any change with how they absorb caustic or how they eject/reload themselves so it's not clear what the notes are referring to.

That's what they already did, before the update. There doesn't seem to be any change with how they absorb caustic or how they eject/reload themselves so it's not clear what the notes are referring to.

Like most things with FDEV we don’t know what the intended mechanic is, we don’t know if it was bugged or working as intended, we don’t know if the change they intended to implement is working as intended, and we don’t know if it actually broke something.

Communication is not their strong point.

I guess it’s just another thing they don’t want to “spoil the surprise” for.. 🙄

Last edited:
I took it to mean that you can bind all caustic sink launchers to one fire button and rather than activating them all concurrently it will discharge each caustic sink consecutively like heatsinks do. I haven't tested that to see for sure, can anyone confirm?

I cut my Elite Danger ship combat teeth fighting Thargoid Scouts. No engineering or guardian unlocks required.

Lasers, Decontamination Limpet Controller, Repair Limpet Controller, Shields (optional), Armor and Hull Reinforcements are all normal modules and can be bought nearly everywhere.

Enhanced AX Multicannons and Enhanced AX Missile Racks are available at the Rescue Megaships.

Then all you need are a hull (Chieftain or Krait II) and the Xeno Scanner (so you can see how much hull your AX target has left) and Shutdown Field Neutralizer (for use against the shutdown field produced by Interceptors) and a Cargo Rack for your limpets.

Fast engines are a good thing to have as well.
Scouts are fun to battle with as well, not too tanky or OP, but can keep you on your toes if they start ganging up on you, they're nimble, look and sound good, and go pop quite satisfyingly as well. Highly recommended, especially cool to fight on slight atmospheric worlds.

But the action that it is blocking is the game opening a cache file that it created itself (shiplocker.json). In the bin with that particular security "product", I say...
The anti-virus is seeing a program not-yet-in-their-database-due-to-minimal-age modifying a file in a protected area (user documents). It has no way of distinguishing normal behaviour from ransomware activity so soon after discovering this new executable. And it offers the user a way to exclude this program from scanning. I'd say it didn't do that bad.

The anti-virus is seeing a program not-yet-in-their-database-due-to-minimal-age modifying a file in a protected area (user documents). It has no way of distinguishing normal behaviour from ransomware activity so soon after discovering this new executable. And it offers the user a way to exclude this program from scanning. I'd say it didn't do that bad.
"Saved games" under the user folder is not protected, that would be very problematic.
The ED executable creates that file, what sense does it make to block it from being able to access it at a later stage? It's not going to contain anything that the program didn't already have access to.

It's a dumb false positive triggered by the AV detecting the filename contains "locker", that is all.

Top Bottom