Update on Communication

Hey just a question about Xbox cloud gaming - could it be used as a way to move forward with Odyssey on consoles?
Xbox cloud gaming is powered by... Xboxes. So it doesnt give developers anything new, different, or more capable to develop for. Its all the same stuff.

The bean counters never intervened that late in the day regards to road maps even when the company was making much less profit. It is far more likely to be about consoles. Its the only thing that makes sense... Situation is dynamic, it is specific to Ed, it can affect share price, it has impacted the community managers interactions wth the playerbase, it clouds the positive marketing of new odyssey features (something they can't afford to keep happening for 2022) and it would require a lot of internal wrangling to formulate a public announcement.
This is a good post.

The bean counters never intervened that late in the day regards to road maps even when the company was making much less profit. It is far more likely to be about consoles. Its the only thing that makes sense... Situation is dynamic, it is specific to Ed, it can affect share price, it has impacted the community managers interactions wth the playerbase, it clouds the positive marketing of new odyssey features (something they can't afford to keep happening for 2022) and it would require a lot of internal wrangling to formulate a public announcement.
I think there is alot of truth in this. My guess is that they really are in a bind on console support, the opimisation is still not where it needs to be, and are really struggling to get to a point where technically they can deliver on what they have announced.

Or, y'know, whip up a 3 paragraph post on friday at 4.45pm.

Hello Cmdrs! Due to unforeseen circumstances sadly we won't be able to personally make it to the assigned venue for the meet up drinks. However don't let that put you off as we have decided it would be unsporting to cancel so late in the day, so we kept the 'event' open and you can all enjoy your own 'powerplay' conversations and maybe some rock/paper/scissors while you buy each other drinks. Hope you understand and see you over on the Planet Dinosaur forums in the future.

Like that? :whistle:

itwillcut.jpg

I've worked for a company that's been taken over about 6 times. People at the development and CM level don't get involved In talks, they just get on with the job and carry on delivering what they are working on.
I was an accountmanager in a company once and they got contacted by a competing company regarding a take over. They got a warning that they shouldn't be making any public statements that would drive the price of their stock higher or lower. This was interpreted in such a way that I was no longer allowed to send out any offers or contracts. Everybody in sales was prevented from getting on with their job.

So that's why I'm saying this is the reason. It's not logical, it's not smart, but at least it's a reason.
They specified the meet and greet Friday will be a casual meeting and NO INFORMATION regarding the game will be shared. So they're keeping their powder dry for that? No.

Last edited:
I was an accountmanager in a company once and they got contacted by a competing company regarding a take over. They got a warning that they shouldn't be making any public statements that would drive the price of their stock higher or lower. This was interpreted in such a way that I was no longer allowed to send out any offers or contracts. Everybody in sales was prevented from getting on with their job.

So that's why I'm saying this is the reason. It's not logical, it's not smart, but at least it's a reason.
They specified he meet and greet Friday will be a casual meeting and NO INFORMATION regarding the game will be shared. So they're keeping their powder dry for that? No.
Problem there is that would mean no talking about all the games. But the silence is only on ED.

I was wondering...

What kind of 'things' they have to figured out how to 'communicate' that takes so long.
At the beginning I've read the post in a super positive way.
Now, oh boy...
I mean, good things are easy to reach an agreement on how to communicate right?
RIGHT?

👀
The problem with your question is that it assumes that what has been communicated is based in reality.

If the statement in question is just a load of fluff which is designed to defer or placate, then your question has no meaning becuase it is based on something which is not real.

Last edited:
Problem there is that would mean no talking about all the games. But the silence is only on ED.
That's because the magnitude of the BAD NEWS that's about to arrive re: ED will be earth-shattering and cause FD's share price to plummet! Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

They specified he meet and greet Friday will be a casual meeting and NO INFORMATION regarding the game will be shared. So they're keeping their powder dry for that? No.
As others have said, Frontiers other game streams are getting weekly sessions and interaction with their respective community teams, so why the silence on Elite Dangerous, your logic isn't making sense. it really is like we've fallen out of the galaxy. I hope this game continues, as I see there's a lot more that can go into this, I like the other 40+ year old gamers are realising their dream that David Braben realised back in 1984 (I noticed you cant tag David now).

o7 commanders

On February 28th, it will be 5 months since they announced they were working on fleet carrier interiors, almost half a year and still haven't released, or they were at the very beginning, with the ideas still on paper when they announced, or they take too long to get things done.

Perhaps that's the problem, the announcement about FC interiors was premature.
I dont think FC interiors are a big problem. All the messaging from CM`s is highly suggestive that the work is very close to completion, and some of the assets are already in the live game, and have been discovered and shared by players.

Everything points to console being the problem. I guess we`ll find out for sure some time between now and financial year end.

As others have said, Frontiers other game streams are getting weekly sessions and interaction with their respective community teams, so why the silence on Elite Dangerous, your logic isn't making sense. it really is like we've fallen out of the galaxy. I hope this game continues, as I see there's a lot more that can go into this, I like the other 40+ year old gamers are realising their dream that David Braben realised back in 1984 (I noticed you cant tag David now).

o7 commanders

OR perhaps the company is busy crunching to get their F1 and Warhammer games which have already been delayed out the door and that extends to co-opting the community managers who suffer the unfortunate indiginty of working on ED community management.

Besides if questions need to be answered about ED going forward there is little point having 4/5 CM's sitting about doing not a lot waiting on a email from the developers.

Back
Top Bottom