Newcomer / Intro Using PS4 controller as an XBox controller via Steam

Ever since switching to PC, I've used my PS4 controller "as-is" in Elite, turning off PS4 controller support in Steam so that Elite sees my DS4 as a generic controller (unfortunately Elite never recognizes it as a DS4 with gyros and touchpad). However, I'm getting tired of switching that on and off for my other games, so I'm ready to allow Steam to make my PS4 controller look like an XBox controller, by leaving "Playstation Configuration Support" turned on.

However, it's not working. Elite seems to see the controller, as it offers presets with XBox button mappings, but using the default mappings does nothing, and trying to remap controls also does nothing when I press a button or move a stick. I must be missing something obvious... Any ideas?

EDIT - Elite shows "Advanced Controller" as selectable preset when Steam support is enabled, and that shows XBox button names (A, X, Y, etc) in the presets. I'm assuming this is the same as if I plugged in an actual XBox controller. Regardless, it isn't working despite recognizing a "different" (due to emulation) controller being plugged in.

Last edited:
Quick questions here, to the op, when you use the ps4 controller, are The bindings the same as on console? And when they use just Xbox’s binding? How does the switch between the controlpanels works? N the ps4 you use the touch pad for that, and the switch between the weapongroups. How does it work on pc via ps4 controller without using touchpad?

Well, I couldn't find a way to directly solve my problem (that is, to get Elite to recognize my controller through Steam), but I did discover how to turn off Steam support for the controller per-game, so I can quickly switch between ED, ESO, X4, NMS, etc without having to futz with setting every time I want to launch ED. So, that's something.

Quick questions here, to the op, when you use the ps4 controller, are The bindings the same as on console? And when they use just Xbox’s binding? How does the switch between the controlpanels works? N the ps4 you use the touch pad for that, and the switch between the weapongroups. How does it work on pc via ps4 controller without using touchpad?
I set my controller (until just recently) to mimic PS4, with the exception of the touch pad. The touch pad only registers as one button instead of four when using it directly with Elite (no Steam translation), so I had to come up with some new double-button combos to replace the corners. For example, I hold square and press left or right bumpers for galaxy and system maps.

The thing I miss the most is the gyroscopic head look. That was one of Elite's crowning achievements on PS4, and why they don't support this on PC is beyond me. I've asked for this numerous times over the years, but no joy.. Maybe now that the plug is being pulled on consoles and Frontier feels guilty about it, perhaps they'll consider adding full DS4 support to Elite on PC.

NOTE - while you lose the corners, you do get some new buttons that are normally reserved on PS4. For example, you can now map the share and power buttons to game features (I use share for heatsinks / chaff and power for silent running). So like I said, the only thing I really miss is the gyroscope, though if we could have those touch pad corners back, I'm sure I could put them to use ;)

Well, I couldn't find a way to directly solve my problem (that is, to get Elite to recognize my controller through Steam), but I did discover how to turn off Steam support for the controller per-game, so I can quickly switch between ED, ESO, X4, NMS, etc without having to futz with setting every time I want to launch ED. So, that's something.

I set my controller (until just recently) to mimic PS4, with the exception of the touch pad. The touch pad only registers as one button instead of four when using it directly with Elite (no Steam translation), so I had to come up with some new double-button combos to replace the corners. For example, I hold square and press left or right bumpers for galaxy and system maps.

The thing I miss the most is the gyroscopic head look. That was one of Elite's crowning achievements on PS4, and why they don't support this on PC is beyond me. I've asked for this numerous times over the years, but no joy.. Maybe now that the plug is being pulled on consoles and Frontier feels guilty about it, perhaps they'll consider adding full DS4 support to Elite on PC.

NOTE - while you lose the corners, you do get some new buttons that are normally reserved on PS4. For example, you can now map the share and power buttons to game features (I use share for heatsinks / chaff and power for silent running). So like I said, the only thing I really miss is the gyroscope, though if we could have those touch pad corners back, I'm sure I could put them to use ;)
Thanks for the explanation tomorrow I will get my hand on it on pc, i will keep your tips on my mind.

The thing I miss the most is the gyroscopic head look.
They have this on PC, I use an xbox controller on my PC and push down (click) the right gimble stick on my controller and I can freely look around when in my ship or SRV. Great for combat in your ship. Maybe the PS4 controller doesn't support this? How different are these 2 controllers? My touch pad works fine with steam generic setting, the only mapping I had to do was a button to exit the FSS Scanner.

They have this on PC, I use an xbox controller on my PC and push down (click) the right gimble stick on my controller and I can freely look around when in my ship or SRV. Great for combat in your ship. Maybe the PS4 controller doesn't support this? How different are these 2 controllers? My touch pad works fine with steam generic setting, the only mapping I had to do was a button to exit the FSS Scanner.
AFAIK the XBox controller does not have a gyroscope like the PS4 / 5 controllers do. Has that changed with the latest XBox?

The problem with the PS4 controller is that Windows doesn't recognize it. I suspect this is due to the petty feud between Sony and Microsoft. Many games I play do recognize it even without Windows drivers, and the rest require me to use Steam to make the PS4 controller look like an XBox or Steam controller.

Elite's in a weird boat in that it recognizes most of the PS4 controller, but not the gyroscope and touch pad for whatever reason. I don't understand this since Frontier obviously wrote support for this controller for PS4, support that could be ported to the PC side. Anyway, I tried using Steam to make my PS4 controller look like an XBox controller, but then it just flat out stopped working in Elite. Elite recognized that I had an "advanced game pad" (which it assigned XBox symbols to), but nothing actually worked when using the controller in this emulation mode. I'm sure I'm missing some little trick, but I eventually just went back to using neutered PS4 controller support.

The problem with the PS4 controller is that Windows doesn't recognize it.
I think that's the problem in a nutshell, if Windows doesn't load a driver for it, it can't be recognized by Steam's emulation software. I'm sure you might have done this before but in case you haven't try googling "How to get Windows to recognize a PS4 controller", I saw quite a bit of info (including videos) on setting up the PS4 controller in Windows 10 with your games in Steam.

This is going to become an acute problem when FDev starts allowing the transfer of console accounts to PC (if they haven't already), players may want to stick with a controller their familiar with.

This is going to become an acute problem when FDev starts allowing the transfer of console accounts to PC (if they haven't already), players may want to stick with a controller their familiar with.

Maybe not .. F D might just be giving away free PC copies that don't require Steam. After all, why deliberately forego future revenue by giving Steam their extortion money percentage cut of all future DLC purchases. People can link their PC version to Steam but why make it inevitable? ... Just a thought.

I think that's the problem in a nutshell, if Windows doesn't load a driver for it, it can't be recognized by Steam's emulation software. I'm sure you might have done this before but in case you haven't try googling "How to get Windows to recognize a PS4 controller", I saw quite a bit of info (including videos) on setting up the PS4 controller in Windows 10 with your games in Steam.

Maybe not .. F D might just be giving away free PC copies that don't require Steam. After all, why deliberately forego future revenue by giving Steam their extortion money percentage cut of all future DLC purchases. People can link their PC version to Steam but why make it inevitable? ... Just a thought.
See this thread for details of the transfer process and dates.
In either the OP or a Dev follow up it is said that the free account will be a non steam copy but you can apparently link it to Steam if you wish for Epic you will need to buy a copy from them.

if Windows doesn't load a driver for it, it can't be recognized by Steam's emulation software.
This is incorrect. Steam acts as its own highly customizable PS4 controller driver, emulating an XBox controller for Windows games that require it. Elite is the only game in my library that gives me this trouble. The irony is that Elite can and does recognize most of the DS4 without any drivers or emulation, just not the gyroscope or touchpad.

This is incorrect. Steam acts as its own highly customizable PS4 controller driver, emulating an XBox controller for Windows games that require it. Elite is the only game in my library that gives me this trouble. The irony is that Elite can and does recognize most of the DS4 without any drivers or emulation, just not the gyroscope or touchpad.
Have you tried this: https://ds4-windows.com/ ?

Top Bottom