Virtual Reality Reviews

Just flagging this! :)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbj7PoLn5VU

(Portal 2 currently 85p on Steam if you don't have it, so it's good news all round ;))
I’ve just got around to trying this out - and immediately lost a few hours to it 😂

The scale of the test chambers is really something to behold, especially while whizzing through the air at high speed via jump plates 😅

I’ve installed the HD textures mod linked in the top comment from this Reddit thread and also the “whole” portal gun model and it makes things look much nicer, highly recommended 👍

I’ve just got out of my first session of Assassin’s Creed Nexus (about 1.5hrs) and…wow 😁

Source: https://youtu.be/fwHq4sbKHG4?si=UBnaUbKYMT-_sP4J

The game starts off with some modern day scene setting (and some cool MR bits) before dropping you into Ezio’s shoes in his home town and villa to get you used to movement & combat. The parkour is nicely done (hold a button to auto-jump while looking at where you want to go, with physical grabbing, climbing, and swinging using the grip buttons) and I got so immersed in the combat I managed to wallop my reading glasses across the room from the chair arm they were sat on 😅 Dodging, blocking, parrying, lunge into your opponent with the wrist blade - all very well done. I’m just getting to grips with throwing knives now, and using environmental traps & distractions.

Doing the leap of faith into a straw pile by holding your arms out to the sides - nice touch 👌

Already I think this is a strong contender for the best game on the Quest 3.

Just in case anyone hasn’t experienced flying Star Wars fighters in VR, Star Wars Squadrons is currently the princely sum of £1.24 until Nov 28 on Steam:
I’ve enjoyed playing through the story mode a few times and the capital ship battles are great fun as well 👍

I’ve just got out of my first session of Assassin’s Creed Nexus (about 1.5hrs) and…wow 😁

Source: https://youtu.be/fwHq4sbKHG4?si=UBnaUbKYMT-_sP4J

The game starts off with some modern day scene setting (and some cool MR bits) before dropping you into Ezio’s shoes in his home town and villa to get you used to movement & combat. The parkour is nicely done (hold a button to auto-jump while looking at where you want to go, with physical grabbing, climbing, and swinging using the grip buttons) and I got so immersed in the combat I managed to wallop my reading glasses across the room from the chair arm they were sat on 😅 Dodging, blocking, parrying, lunge into your opponent with the wrist blade - all very well done. I’m just getting to grips with throwing knives now, and using environmental traps & distractions.

Doing the leap of faith into a straw pile by holding your arms out to the sides - nice touch 👌

Already I think this is a strong contender for the best game on the Quest 3.

Yep I'm 5 hrs in on Quest 2 and it's holding up surprisingly well! (Only judder I've seen was one occasion when I scanned in a cluttered area. And all of the low-poly/pixel/texture stuff just flies by in a blur once you're clambering up an outcrop with projectiles and shouts massing behind you ;))

Great to have a high quality game in a genre I actually want to play :)

Yep I'm 5 hrs in on Quest 2 and it's holding up surprisingly well! (Only judder I've seen was one occasion when I scanned in a cluttered area. And all of the low-poly/pixel/texture stuff just flies by in a blur once you're clambering up an outcrop with projectiles and shouts massing behind you ;))

I am a bit confused. Why are the graphics so low? I though with Quest 2 and 3 you can use your PC's CPU, GPU, RAM to get top visual graphics and Quest 2/3 just as a Monitor replacement.

I am a bit confused. Why are the graphics so low? I though with Quest 2 and 3 you can use your PC's CPU, GPU, RAM to get top visual graphics and Quest 2/3 just as a Monitor replacement.

Because they've only released a version that runs on the Quest alone. IE off the internal GPU etc.

Hopefully they will release a PCVR version later. (But for now the industry, and Meta in particular, are really leaning away from PCVR and towards broader adoption via 'head consoles' primarily :/ )

First Look: Assassin's Creed Nexus

resize

This is a great fit for VR, and they've done a grand job bringing it to stand-alone. Although the low pixel density, scratchy textures, and poly-filler NPCs do smack you in the face at points, the overall world-building just works as you move fluidly amongst its elements. (And at points the sun gleaming off slanted rooftops below can look downright glorious :)).

The locales are more 'chocolate box' than sandbox, but for someone's who's never visited the series' take on Ancient Greece or Revolutionary America leaping over backyard fences to baffle limeys was all good (and scurrying over ship beams brought some bonus Black Flag flickers). Clanking over the tiles of Venice was a downright delight :)

The 'eagle eye' view of the city-scapes gets increasingly endearing, and useful, as the playgrounds expand. Spotting prowling roof guards amongst the puffy smoke of venetian chimneys, and plotting routes, felt like a fine sunny-day distraction.

Even tired old staples like tracking a quarry unseen are that much more refreshed and intense when you're clinging to some ceramic with one hand while a gulf of vertigo chasms beneath you. Or plummeting onto canvas to keep up the chase. (Although hiding in some street topiary becomes doubly silly ;))

Everything that's cool in the rooftops becomes lesser in the enclosed spaces however. Although the parkour options remain, and some civilised strealth, every aspect feels that much more trammeled, with the comparative linearity sometimes very much front and centre. (The various tunnel missions being the worst for this).

And of course the hand combat is relatively rustic. But given AC's form in that area, it barely hurts the action. It's just more motivation to use the solid bow & throwing knife & hidden-blade options to sow discord, and scamper around dividing and conquering. And at least gives you a solid reason to scarper when caught in a mob. (Not that you can't best groups of 3 or so, but once the projectiles are battering your shoulders the whole 'fight one guy at a time, TV style' approach runs out of road...)

Despite some early clumsiness with the streamlined parkour system I'm slowly learning to chain fluid motions together now. (It helped to realise that two-handed grabs tend to conflict and propel you back off ledges inconveniently, whereas a one-handed superman up onto a ledge works every time).

Now all I need is a slightly higher ceiling, for those desperate parapet lunges in the night...

Last edited:

I’ve not tried it on my Q2 but looking at a comparison video it looks to stand up well to the Q3 version - higher res and better textures seem to be the Q3 upgrade.
Source: https://youtu.be/lVaxdDstmnM?si=-s8JLrwWTJUXHsVH

I totally agree with the looks becoming secondary when it all kicks off - there’s some seriously cool combat possible 😁 Last night I wrist-bladed a target from above, throwing knife into a guard, threw my tomahawk into another then grabbed it out of their falling body to take out a third guard.

Weirdly it’s the first VR game in seven years to give me the willies when climbing 😅 I was climbing up the Parthenon as Kassandra when I noticed that my avatar’s legs were doing IK climbing, getting toe-holds and stuff. Suddenly I got a real sense of presence (mah immmmuurshions) and didn’t want to do the final overhang 😂

I totally agree with the looks becoming secondary when it all kicks off - there’s some seriously cool combat possible 😁 Last night I wrist-bladed a target from above, throwing knife into a guard, threw my tomahawk into another then grabbed it out of their falling body to take out a third guard.

Weirdly it’s the first VR game in seven years to give me the willies when climbing 😅 I was climbing up the Parthenon as Kassandra when I noticed that my avatar’s legs were doing IK climbing, getting toe-holds and stuff. Suddenly I got a real sense of presence (mah immmmuurshions) and didn’t want to do the final overhang 😂

Yeah realising I could get my throwing knives back out of defeated foes has made me become more of a spinning metal porcupine of death now whenever I get mobbed. (Flinging everything at everyone ;)).

And yeah I'm pretty immune to VR-vertigo, but something about flinging yourself up at ledges at the greater heights, and those last gasp grabs, is definitely triggering it 😁. (I found myself thinking they should record some of my relief-gasps after recovering a hold for the game ;). Would be cool if your character made the odd 'Phewwww' after a borderline one...). I'm definitely just spidermanning safely up the cornerstones whenever possible...

Last edited:
Because they've only released a version that runs on the Quest alone. IE off the internal GPU etc.

Hopefully they will release a PCVR version later. (But for now the industry, and Meta in particular, are really leaning away from PCVR and towards broader adoption via 'head consoles' primarily :/ )
So they are trying to turn VR sets in to Consoles? Isn't that a bad things, not utilizing modern GPU's and CPU's? Wouldn't that put VR games decade behind in visual graphics and performance?

So they are trying to turn VR sets in to Consoles? Isn't that a bad things, not utilizing modern GPU's and CPU's? Wouldn't that put VR games decade behind in visual graphics and performance?
We’ve had stand-alone VR for years now - though I’d say it was with the Quest 2 released 3 years ago that it really took off. There are some reasonable looking games on the system though most tend to suffer from PS2-era looks. Quest 3 has upped things quite a bit especially when it comes to lighting - Red Matter 2 looks so good it’d believe it was PCVR if I didn’t know better - and having a wireless headset was a much more significant game changer than I thought it would be.

PCVR isn’t going anywhere - along with “proper” VR games and VR modes for flatscreen games (it’s very common in the simulation world) mods like the Luke Ross one or the soon-to-be-released universal Unreal injector mean I can play lots of modern games in 3D glory.

There’s a reasonable market for stand-alone VR games - if I recall correctly, one dev said they made more money in the first few days of their game’s Quest 2 release than they’d done in the previous 6 months (or year? Can’t remember 😅) on PCVR.

Source: https://youtu.be/HNxHHMNyS_A?si=HcJyrYY-GDoOhbwd

Last edited:

It's a question of reach. The VR guys needed to expand their player base, and a £300 stand-alone device (or headset for a playstation) is much more accessible than kind of £1.5k+ set ups you need to run decent PCVR etc. They were making AAA games for a the type of niche PC guys who buy peripherals, and the returns just weren't there.

No matter how good the hardware is, it can't survive without software. And the software guys just weren't making ends meet.

So for now PCVR is pretty much limping on with mods and indie titles. (And the sim world, as A says). And the software focus (& exclusives cash) has moved to making the best stuff they can for stand-alones / consoles etc.

It's a question of reach. The VR guys needed to expand their player base, and a £300 stand-alone device (or headset for a playstation) is much more accessible than kind of £1.5k+ set ups you need to run decent PCVR etc. They were making AAA games for a the type of niche PC guys who buy peripherals, and the returns just weren't there.

No matter how good the hardware is, it can't survive without software. And the software guys just weren't making ends meet.

So for now PCVR is pretty much limping on with mods and indie titles. (And the sim world, as A says). And the software focus (& exclusives cash) has moved to making the best stuff they can for stand-alones / consoles etc.
I see. I always thought of VR as just Monitor replacement, and at least with Quest 2 current price it fits as a Monitor replacement. While other VR sets seems to be very expensive. Btw, have Quest low prices been destroying their competitors? Can the others keep up, or is VR market moving towards monipolization?

I see. I always thought of VR as just Monitor replacement, and at least with Quest 2 current price it fits as a Monitor replacement. While other VR sets seems to be very expensive. Btw, have Quest low prices been destroying their competitors? Can the others keep up, or is VR market moving towards monipolization?

The Quest is leagues ahead in their niche. (Lower price point, stand-alone, mixed reality, dual use, with software exclusives etc). And Meta are pretty much the biggest player in the scene. But Playstation is kinda the king of the existing console VR world, with their own exclusives, and the luxury variants all do fine in their areas etc.

Given VR's comparatively restricted software ecosystem the PC world is always going to have the advantage of indie offerings and mods, and there are benefits to jumping between all of the platforms, so I wouldn't say there's a monopoly at the moment. (Although that is certainly what Meta want ;))

The Quest is leagues ahead in their niche. (Lower price point, stand-alone, mixed reality, dual use, with software exclusives etc). And Meta are pretty much the biggest player in the scene. But Playstation is kinda the king of the existing console VR world, with their own exclusives, and the luxury variants all do fine in their areas etc.

Given VR's comparatively restricted software ecosystem the PC world is always going to have the advantage of indie offerings and mods, and there are benefits to jumping between all of the platforms, so I wouldn't say there's a monopoly at the moment. (Although that is certainly what Meta want ;))
Remind me what "mixed reality" is, again?

Top Bottom