VisitedStarsCache - See all EDSM Visited Stars in your GalMap

Fantastic resource, thank you. I shall be utilising it in my next trip at some point.
The user generated tools which have been community made have always been excellent.

Yeah, not everyone submits to EDSM, plus EDSM didn't exist in the early days of E:D.
I think 0.4% of the galaxy has been discovered, of which EDSM knows of about 50% of that :)
Plus some of us are on console. I've discovered about 200,000,000 systems myself that are not in EDSM.

If I could work out how to make this work on Consoles I totally would, but I don't think you can write to arbitrary locations on the disk, so pretty much impossible to replace a file :(

Only downside I can report is, using this adds 10-15 seconds to the game loading screen, although I haven't noticed any slowdown in the game itself. Maybe I'll just take that as motivation to finally get that directory onto the SSD.

I hate to say it, but it's still about 10-15 seconds on SSD. I don't think it's the disk speed that it's bottlenecking on. ;)

Oh YOU are that fellow in third place. Right after the 420,000,069 systems I've discovered that are not on EDSM. I wonder who's in second place.
I've only got 60,000 give or take a few, I must be waaaay down on the list.

sys1.JPG
sys2.JPG

После обновления игра перестала работать на меня.
все звезды стали непосещенными !!!
После обновлений?
Файл VisitedStarsCache.dat на месте.

After the update, the game stopped working for me. all stars have become unvisited !!! After the updates? The VisitedStarsCache.dat file is in place.

Last edited:
I think that's a bug in the current game, unfortunately. We will have to wait and see if there is a fix, hopefully soon.

EDIT: Actually, I think this is by design in the new version. The game is now creating a "RecentlyVisitedStars" file instead. I think they're expiring older entries, such that it will only show places you've recently been to, and not your entire history. And as such, I think it's trying to expire the entire VisitedStarsCache, all at once.

EDIT 2: I'm probably wrong. Carry on. :)

Last edited:
I think that's a bug in the current game, unfortunately. We will have to wait and see if there is a fix, hopefully soon.

EDIT: Actually, I think this is by design in the new version. The game is now creating a "RecentlyVisitedStars" file instead. I think they're expiring older entries, such that it will only show places you've recently been to, and not your entire history. And as such, I think it's trying to expire the entire VisitedStarsCache, all at once.
That doesn't seem to be new. RecentlyVisitedStars.dat was mentioned back at least in 2018. March, here. It's probably that the game generated that different dat file from importStars.txt, rather than just appending the systems from there to VisitedStarsCache.dat.

Yeah, I noticed that it appears and gets deleted, so I was probably wrong about that. I'm guessing that one is used for temporary data and gets deleted later. So, I have no idea what's going on. :D

Well that is rubbish.

Intentionally patched out?
Low blow if that is the case unless it was unintended. I'm cynical about most things in Ed though.
Rather sad about it as It was one of my favourite tools to use in ED.
I'd love to know the precise reasoning for the alteration.

Top Bottom