VR experience (Odyssey)

After ten updates (and improved graphics performance) since the launch of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, I dived back in last night to see where things had got to with VR performance.
Reverb G2, Factory overclocked 3090, 32MB 32GB Ram and a current generation high-end AMD CPU.

Horizons:
Flying around my fleet carrier was a smooth experience and I was able to find a good balance between performance and anti-aliasing. Elite is not the best at anti-aliasing in VR, but not the worst either. Overall things worked well (so they should with my rig!).

Odyssey:
Very different experience in Odyssey (both flying around the fleetcarrier and on a planet surface). I was unable to find a good balance between graphics quality and anti-aliasing (I tried the various new upscaling methods too). Extreme case of jagged lines and frequent stutters and noticeably low frame rates.

This isn't to beat up Frontier – they have a lot of fixes and improvements to make and they have been public about dropping VR, so I assume VR is last in line for any optimisations?

Just wondered (if you're watching Frontier) if you have plans to improve the performance of VR in the near future? If not, please could you add it to the list?
Also, I'm curious to understand why there is such a dramatic drop in performance (for example) around a fleet carrier in space when the scene is not noticeably more complex to render between Horizons and Odyssey?

Thanks and stay safe, well and happy everyone.

Last edited:
After ten updates (and improved graphics performance) since the launch of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, I dived back in last night to see where things had got to with VR performance.
Reverb G2, Factory overclocked 3090, 32MB 32GB Ram and a current generation high-end AMD CPU.

Horizons:
Flying around my fleet carrier was a smooth experience and I was able to find a good balance between performance and anti-aliasing. Elite is not the best at anti-aliasing in VR, but not the worst either. Overall things worked well (so they should with my rig!).

Odyssey:
Very different experience in Odyssey (both flying around the fleetcarrier and on a planet surface). I was unable to find a good balance between graphics quality and anti-aliasing (I tried the various new upscaling methods too). Extreme case of jagged lines and frequent stutters and noticeably low frame rates.

This isn't to beat up Frontier – they have a lot of fixes and improvements to make and they have been public about dropping VR, so I assume VR is last in line for any optimisations?

Just wondered (if you're watching Frontier) if you have plans to improve the performance of VR in the near future? If not, please could you add it to the list?
Also, I'm curious to understand why there is such a dramatic drop in performance (for example) around a fleet carrier in space when the scene is not noticeably more complex to render between Horizons and Odyssey?

Thanks and stay safe, well and happy everyone.
Pop over to the VR sub-forum, there are quite a few G2 users who may be able to give you a few tips about getting the best visuals versus performance.

While you’re there, have a quick look at the bugs thread - there’s a few VR issues that could use votes & confirmations 😁👍

Pop over to the VR sub-forum, there are quite a few G2 users who may be able to give you a few tips about getting the best visuals versus performance.

While you’re there, have a quick look at the bugs thread - there’s a few VR issues that could use votes & confirmations 😁👍
Thanks @Arioch will check these out.

For me VR is running perfect in ODY. Reverb G2, Ryzen 5900X, Rx 6800XT, 32 gigs of mem. 4TB disc space. All we need now as far as I am concerned is to get FD to put VR in the whole game.

Top Bottom