VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Personally, I would be quite happy paying a premium for VR in order to allow them to recoup some of the cost. And by that I mean only VR players pay extra.

I obviously can't speak for everyone else.

I agree with you on this one, yes i would pay extra for the DLC, as long as it contained ALL of the updates, i would not pay more if we can get just the extra's without the FPS which would need a lot more development work.

PS can i pay with my Arks :p

It's hard to argue with Fdevs logic they have made the game available on consoles and done more and more to appease that (more substantial) market.

They have pointed the game in the direction that makes them the most money whilst limiting scope. A year or so ago I would've been mad at them but now the idea that spacelegs involves - no VR, potenitally not walking arouns ships, almost certainly not free roaming around stations just doesn't surprise me.

I think the only thing that could be coming with the update that would peak my interest and make me reconsider not getting the expansion is if there is some real high quality story content. not "personal narrative" or "delivery 50 kangaroos for democracy" but a fleshed out campaign of sorts.

I don't expect it.

I remember when Fdev were focussed on delivering the impossible and making the best game they could now they have become absolute masters of the MVP which will help them be successful commercially but definately points to Davey B's 10 year plan not quite being what everyone thought.

Well, I expressed my great disappointment in the forums regarding the lack of VR for Odyssey or an acceptable solution for VR players. I can't do anything else, it's Frontier's choice. I don't care about technical problems of developers or commercial problems, it's really not my problem. I'm just a "customer" who buys a product. If it suits me I buy otherwise I will look elsewhere. I don't see any point in continuing with Horizon (just for info, HP Reverb for VR and I'm triple 140, 15 billion credits, Corvette, Cutter, skins, etc ... all almost fully equipped (guardians and engineers). Not much 'else to do. I'm waiting for SC VR but when will it be ready ... Sad day for me.

No, that's an opinion, because the only ones that know what the facts are regarding the difficulties of implementing VR into Elite Dangerous are the Frontier devs themselves.

Zac had replied to a message in a live stream and said "QUOTE" Currenly there is NO crossover between Horizons and Odessey, this may change at a later date !!!!!!

Fact NOT my opinion sorry CMDR

If they hold back now, for whatever reason, as a VR user you'd have to think twice about their future committment to VR. If barren planets are as tricky as you suggest, then planets with substantial life are going to be far trickier. Frontier appear to have bitten off more than they can chew.

Yes I think we should be concerned at this point about their future commitment to VR. Time will tell.

PS I'm not suggesting barren planets are a primary issue (beyond CPU load / draw distances etc). I'm suggesting the Legs aspects are.

But full-on Atmos planets with high levels of flora / fauna? Yep, that'd be a whole other challenge on top ;)

Last edited:
Yes I think we should be concerned at this point about their future commitment to VR. Time will tell.

PS I'm not suggesting barren planets are a primary issue (beyond CPU load). I'm suggesting the Legs aspects are.

But full-on Atmos planets with high levels of flora / fauna? Yep, that'd be a whole other challenge on top ;)

I dont think its The planets that is causing the issue, i think its the FPS side that is why they are dropping VR for now.
So the easy way out is to drop VR and "maybe" look at it at a later date.

Why they cant look at this forum (maybe they will) and think ok, we can compromise and continue with the VR support we already have and ask the community how they would like to continue and if it is viable ?

war

I remember when Fdev were focussed on delivering the impossible and making the best game they could now they have become absolute masters of the MVP which will help them be successful commercially but definately points to Davey B's 10 year plan not quite being what everyone thought.

This is excessive for me. Adding Legs to this current game, with location internals and proposed proc gen mission generation, is pretty ambitious.

It's also falls within their fabled long-term plans.

(It is the potential ambition of these additions that makes VR compatibility such a potential challenge, and which has seemingly left it currently on the cutting room floor).

Zac had replied to a message in a live stream and said "QUOTE" Currenly there is NO crossover between Horizons and Odessey, this may change at a later date !!!!!!

Fact NOT my opinion sorry CMDR
No .... try going back to what Zac actually said .... that's it's best to assume there is no crossover and that they don't know at this stage where the seperation is.

So, still opinion, not fact ... because last time I looked, you didn't have "Frontier Employee" under your name on the forum.

This is excessive for me. Adding Legs to this current game, with location internals and proposed proc gen mission generation, is pretty ambitious.

It's also falls within their fabled long-term plans.

(It is the potential ambition of these additions that makes VR compatibility such a potential challenge, and which has seemingly left it currently on the cutting room floor).

You are probably right to call it excessive. My first "1000 hour game" was Elite so I held the game in such high regard for so long that I built up my own vision of what the future might be like (definately a me problem not an fdev problem!) After seeing the implementations of Engineers, Multicrew, thargoids everything that was promised to be a huge difference and the only one that I look back at and think "yeah that was even better than I thought" was 2.2 ship launched fighters and guardians.

and that makes me sad that the idea in my head won't true.

So no I shouldn't make that Fdevs fault but I can still hurl toys out the pram at passers by :D

If a player is playing in Odessey and you are in Horizons, then all planetry activity is out, or fine, you fly to a planet with your wingmates and then umm what do you do, you cant interact CURRENTLY with how FDEV has set the roadmap.
That would only be the planets that are included in Odyssey. So it will be no different to horizons and the base game.

Its a mess because not even General players can agree what they want, some for or against FPR some for or against Base building, VR users have stated a LOT of times, we are no SO bothered about that "yet" jusy give us what we already haev currently in VR, the rest can be discussed after release.

war
Doesn't that happen all the time anyway. That's just normal forum behaviour.

I dont think its The planets that is causing the issue, i think its the FPS side that is why they are dropping VR for now.
So the easy way out is to drop VR and "maybe" look at it at a later date.

Why they cant look at this forum (maybe they will) and think ok, we can compromise and continue with the VR support we already have and ask the community how they would like to continue and if it is viable ?

war

Yeah, I mean it's always possible that the new planetary tech has some major performance hits, but I'm sure they can slider their way out of it to a degree.

I suspect the reason they don't fancy a 'non Legs' VR implementation is because it looks deeply unprofessional. ('Oh look everyone, here's our shiny new title with all this new stuff. It even has VR! Except for all of these bits, where you have to take the helmet off / observe it on quick-fix 2D projection screen'). It would please the regular veterans who are just interested in the non-Legs stuff, but to a new player it would just look shoddy as anything.

They don't want their new product to look shoddy. (Again, I can't blame them for this)

Possibly a low key 'experimental' solution like the above, snuck in after launch, could work for all parties. I suspect that playing with the 'cut off point' between Horizons and Odyssey may be their solution instead. But I doubt it will involve stuff like Atmos planets being accesible in Horizons. It just devalues the work put into Odyssey too much off the bat to give it away for free.

No .... try going back to what Zac actually said .... that's it's best to assume there is no crossover and that they don't know at this stage where the seperation is.

So, still opinion, not fact ... because last time I looked, you didn't have "Frontier Employee" under your name on the forum.

So i dont have a "Frontier Employee" name tag , but provided a quote from one that has said : CURRENTLY there is NO crossover , then you opinion is that i am lying ?

Thanks CMDR, that is how we all stick together in this cummunity, well done

So i dont have a "Frontier Employee" name tag , but provided a quote from one that has said : CURRENTLY there is NO crossover , then you opinion is that i am lying ?

Thanks CMDR, that is how we all stick together in this cummunity, well done
I haven't said you're lying ... so now I add troll to the list of what I think about you. You are gaining a track record for making things up (still not calling you a liar)

You're quoting what Zac said to Alec Turner, which in itself was an opinion, and you insist it is a fact that proves there will never be VR in Odyssey, and cannot seem to grasp the concept that anything you type on this is opinion because you are not a Frontier employee. You are not the one working on VR in Elite Dangerous, that is why anything you say is an opinion ... nothing to do with whether you are lying or not.

I think the truth is that when they started the New Era, nobody gave a damn about VR support anymore, and the decision has been made long before today, may it be in 2018 when they decided on the refresh/rewrite. So consequently, in early 2019 they removed all traces of VR support from the ED website plus the Oculus Store as a marketplace. Well, this did not go unnoticed, so I started a thread about it. Apart from documenting the change of heading the game took slowly but surely, all I got was a well...statement from Paige that FDs commitment to the game was unchanged and the logos were removed for sake of cleaning up. No word on VR, though. In hindsight, it was an attempt at appeasement and I was considered a lunatic or whatever title deemed appropriate since then.
Looks like you called it and loved the Paige response, they really should write Boris' speeches. He'd be Prime Minister for ever.
I most certainly will. I don't think Frontier's F1 management game will support VR. Do you?
Petrol heads and flight simmers are the ones who have taken VR to heart. Dirt Rally 1 & 2, Project Cars 1 & 2, Assetto Corsa, Euro / US Truck simulator, DCS and the upcoming MS Flight Sim - all in VR, either built from the ground up or converted (head of Microsoft’s upcoming Flight Simulator 2020 revealed that VR is now “very high” on the list of priorities). If Fdevs F1 isn't in VR it may well be their first major misstep (apart from, y'know, removing it from Elite), someone might wanna tell them that sim racers expect to have their wheel choices catered to as well - freaking entitled gamers :)

feel free to dm me when support is added, two years of almost zero content, and no vr support is what we get. :-/

It's a shame really, no company has really hit the mark with a full vr space experience yet (nms port was rough at best). I was hoping elite would be the one, I think I've let my wallet do the talking with regards to that. Elite has an amazing current vr implementation but there just isn't enough content to hold my interest. I can only pull the crank on the procedurally generated content slot-machine so many times.

There are some other vr space games coming, will hope for the best! Money talks and there's just not enough money in vr support for fdev, that's the bottom line. I'd love another company that actually cares about it to scoop us up.

Back
Top Bottom