VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

True, but it's the 'big refresh' for the franchise, which will most likely be marketed at AAA prices, as with Horizons. The marketing push will doubtless highlight the new features as the new point of interest.

Nope, where did I suggest that M?

I'm just saying the new features will need VR functionality that supports them. (And that those aspects will be held up against competitors in that genre).
There is no genre like it though. The only games that comes close is NMS and that isn't that close and from my understanding, its not very good for PCVR as you have no choice but to use the VR controllers which I don't have, so can't play NMS in VR, not Fallout 4 or Serious Sam type games.

It's not like the VR in ED is spectacular as it is. It's basically a glorified head look and that's about it.

To get a fully featured VR implementation in VR that can work seamlessly with space legs is a big ask. It's a lot of work which I can't see that happening any time soon.

There is no genre like it though.

As an amalgam, sure, I agree, it's pretty unique. (But that doesn't alter the FPS/RPG feature set of the DLC being a focus, and bringing new VR norms into play.)

The only games that comes close is NMS and that isn't that close [...]

NMS is pretty damn close on the requirements & challenges front to be honest.

• Large proc gen open world / spaceflight + planets + legs / multiplayer crossplay with flatscreen etc.
  • Just minus: The PvP, the 1:1 planet scale, the complex flight model, the pseudo-realistic sheen etc (And possibly the proposed mission & NPC interaction complexity).
  • Plus: Some areas that are more developed, with contingent performance issues (extensive flora + fauna / surface liquids etc)

[NMS] from my understanding, [is] not very good for PCVR as you have no choice but to use the VR controllers which I don't have, so can't play NMS in VR, not Fallout 4 or Serious Sam type games.

I find this a strange take M. I think possibly all those games aren't good in PCVR for you personally, because you don't have motion controllers. The fact that they all require them speaks more to that being an industry norm for FPS / RPGs though (as I keep banging on about ;)). Rather than speaking to them being bad ;)

(I've played a ton that use motion controllers, and think they're great, if we're throwing personal takes in :D)

It's not like the VR in ED is spectacular as it is. It's basically a glorified head look and that's about it.

To get a fully featured VR implementation in VR that can work seamlessly with space legs is a big ask. It's a lot of work which I can't see that happening any time soon.

Sure, agreed.

Spheres Of Conflict. Does anyone else think like me, that this will be a separate game mode, maybe accessed from one of these community hub things?

Spheres Of Conflict. Does anyone else think like me, that this will be a separate game mode, maybe accessed from one of these community hub things?
I really have no idea. I would be surprised as it talks about ships, SRVs and people on foot being all together. We shall have to wait and see, but I certainly hope not as I will likely never use it.

I really have no idea. I would be surprised as it talks about ships, SRVs and people on foot being all together. We shall have to wait and see, but I certainly hope not as I will likely never use it.
It is the word "Sphere" that sets alarm bells for me. Think of what a sphere is. I don't think they mean entire moons or planets do you?

Dunno Bethesda released Skyrim in 2011 with al whole lot of bugs that remained unpatched throughout the lifetime of the game then in 2016 they released the special edition with graphical improvements and the exact same bugs and in 2018 a Skyrim VR was released containing the graphical improvements of SE and the bugs of the original. Don't think Bethesda put a whole lot of effort in the VR version of Skyrim but It got most of what you'd expect of a VR title. I'm sure if FD put in a bit more effort they could come up with something that's of acceptable quality.

The fact that they all require them speaks more to that being an industry norm for FPS / RPGs though (as I keep banging on about ;)).
And that might be a barrier to people like me who do not have the space for even standing VR without completely rearranging their interior. I personally think it would be easier for VR to gain mass appeal if it didn't focus so much on the motion controllers, there's a reason the WII was the only Nintendo with the the wii remote and why Microsofts Kinect failed so spectacularly. People don't want gaming to take over the living room, which is what VR will do if you not have a spare room to dedicate to it.

CQC for legs? Who knows.
Or a hub world system like Phantasy Star online 2 where you (and your friends) have an instance all to yourself. It would be a way to keep "emergent gameplay" from happening without having to "balance" legs against SRV's and aerial bombardments. (And you know those things would happen if legs were to happen in open...)

And that might be a barrier to people like me who do not have the space for even standing VR without completely rearranging their interior. I personally think it would be easier for VR to gain mass appeal if it didn't focus so much on the motion controllers, there's a reason the WII was the only Nintendo with the the wii remote and why Microsofts Kinect failed so spectacularly. People don't want gaming to take over the living room, which is what VR will do if you not have a spare room to dedicate to it.

I dunno, motion controllers add so much to the 'being there' factor (suddenly the whole upper half of your body feels like it's 'in the game', interacting with it etc). Plus they open up a ton of potential for novel game mechanics / design innovation. (That's one of the biggest pluses for me in VR, all the wild west experimentation and novel twists on gaming staples ;))

I suspect the path they'll follow is further mobilty & wirelessness where possible (which may help us find usable / unused spaces more conveniently etc)

All that said, I get by with 1.5m x 1.5m for my set up, and that works just fine. (I do have to guard that territory ferociously from tables being shunted back into it though ;))

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party. But as a VR user myself I must say that I'm extremely disappointed that Odyssey won't support VR at launch (or ever?). VR is what brought me into this world and it's a very special experience. There is nothing else like it. I understand that VR users make up a very small percent of the playerbase. But interest in VR is steadily growing. There is more interest now than ever. I wish I was more excited about the update. Maybe I will be as more is revealed.

And as far as fleet carriers are concerned... I probably won't be getting one of those either. But I do think they should be expensive. It's kinda strange if every commander in the galaxy is a billionaire fleet carrier owner...

I dunno, motion controllers add so much to the 'being there' factor (suddenly the whole upper half of your body feels like it's 'in the game', interacting with it etc). Plus they open up a ton of potential for novel game mechanics / design innovation. (That's one of the biggest pluses for me in VR, all the wild west experimentation and novel twists on gaming staples ;))
I don't deny motion controllers can add to the experience but there are a lot of VR games I didn't buy because that's all they support even when they would be perfectly playable with a gamepad.

I suspect the path they'll follow is further mobilty & wirelessness where possible (to allow you to find usable spaces more easily etc)
Oh I know they wil, there's allready talk of 5G

All that said, I get by with 1.5m x 1.5m for my set up, and that works just fine. (I do have to guard that territory ferociously from tables being shunted back into it though ;))
The only place I could manage that is (you guessed it) the living room. I would however still need to find the room for a multi monitor set up and all of the peripherals including a HOTAS and rudder pedals as well as a wheel stand and at that point it's no longer a living room...

edit: also my PC is kinda large.

Last edited:
I don't deny motion controllers can add to the experience but there are a lot of VR games I didn't buy because that's all they support even when they would be perfectly playable with a gamepad.

I suspect it’s only going to bed in more as things progress. If the stand-alones prove the popular path then console controller support will probably drop off even more for PCVR.

(It’s only really PSVR that’s keeping controller design at the forefront, due to the dual shock gyros etc, and the Motion sticks being janky legacy workarounds ;))

The only place I could manage that is (you guessed it) the living room. I would however still need to find the room for a multi monitor set up and all of the peripherals including a HOTAS and rudder pedals as well as a wheel stand and at that point it's no longer a living room...

Yeah that’s where I’ve ended up ultimately. (Open plan living room / dining room. My corner desk was there already). Not ideal, but at least my gf gets to laugh at me swimming in Fallout ;)

Dunno Bethesda released Skyrim in 2011 with al whole lot of bugs that remained unpatched throughout the lifetime of the game then in 2016 they released the special edition with graphical improvements and the exact same bugs and in 2018 a Skyrim VR was released containing the graphical improvements of SE and the bugs of the original. Don't think Bethesda put a whole lot of effort in the VR version of Skyrim but It got most of what you'd expect of a VR title. I'm sure if FD put in a bit more effort they could come up with something that's of acceptable quality.
Skyrim is nothing like ED though. It's need to seamlessly work with the space flight section.

If hand controllers are to be used, then the whole in-ship interface needs to be changed to work with those. That is a lot of work.

Or they do a half version that only uses an Xbox controller or your Hotas, which isn't really good enough. I still expect it to be a seated experience though regardless of what control method they do.

To be honest they should really do a dedicated VR update, to give us options on how to control our craft, such as using touch controllers to use a holographic throttle and joystick, have the holographic side panels useae with VR touch controllers instead of using curser keys, be able to press buttons on the leg control units for the functions, it would give the illusion that your are actually controlling your ship, I'd also be willing to pay for it too.

Skyrim is nothing like ED though. It's need to seamlessly work with the space flight section.

If hand controllers are to be used, then the whole in-ship interface needs to be changed to work with those. That is a lot of work.

Or they do a half version that only uses an Xbox controller or your Hotas, which isn't really good enough. I still expect it to be a seated experience though regardless of what control method they do.

To be honest they should really do a dedicated VR update, to give us options on how to control our craft, such as using touch controllers to use a holographic throttle and joystick, have the holographic side panels useae with VR touch controllers instead of using curser keys, be able to press buttons on the leg control units for the functions, it would give the illusion that your are actually controlling your ship, I'd also be willing to pay for it too.
As far as I'm concerned Elite already works well enough in VR, All I would need in Odyssey is controller suppord for the leg bits and I'm a happy puppy. I really wouldn't want to give up my HOTAS and for most of the side panel stuff I already use voice attack.

Back
Top Bottom