VR to remain same in odyssey (with bug fixes)

Just wondering if there is a gameplay reason or a technical reason they won't or can't do full VR when we get it everywhere else. I'm not salty about it, if this is all we get and the choice is this or monitor, I'll take this all day as 90% of the time I am exploring and flying my ships or carrier.
I think you might be right. Binocular vision is definitely an advantage over pancake.

Explain why it can’t be done.
I think that was supposed to be a sarcastic comment :) tho' I'm sure all the white / grey knights will tell you that treating the HMD as just a 3D monitor with mouselook built in is incredibly hard to add to the game (even tho there's already a hacky (no UI) method already in game).

If a modder can do this to a non-vr game, it just boggles the mind why Fdev can't do VR+motion controllers in Odyssey. It's so embarrassing!

Seeing this, and knowing some of these things, that may have been tough or had to be researched to be done in the past, are bsaically standard things to do, is aggrivating. They make things that are quite straight forward seem tough to do, then when they actually do anything, no matter what it is, it's amazing. I remember some video, probably for Horizons? where DB was saying there's so many great things, such as "the ship lines up with the next star" and that was some kind of 'wow' thing? Where you have to line it up to within 5 degrees, it finishes the last 3 degrees, and thats news? Incredible stuff they're doing.
And I appreciate the big things they do do, but I get a sense they hold back, as if putting a lot in now will starve them in future of what to add. I'd say add everything you can, and you'll still come up with more and more stuff to add. No such thing as too much. So do the VR with controllers, but dont make a big deal out of it, just do it and it'll add a whole new scope of things to add.

Just looking at NMS VR, it gives you an idea of how much work would be required to bring on-foot VR up to an acceptable level.
Go into Elite Odyssey, as it is right now. Land somewhere and disembark. Open the vanity camera and go to one of the 'shoulder' presets. Activate commander controls. Close the camera UI. You've just activated an already existing basic third-person VR on-foot mode in Odyssey. There's even a glitch where if you activate the vanity cam and headlook at the same time, it becomes a first-person full VR mode. It's slightly glitchy, the UI doesn't work, and interacting with terminals/NPCs doesn't work, but that's basically because you're using the vanity cam, so that is easily fixable by Fdev, if they actually want to do it.

Locomotion is only a small problem, unless, for some reason, you think a 'teleport' mode is actually required in all VR games, without exception. It isn't. Some people are more sensitive to VR-induced motion sickness due to the mismatch between what your eyes are reporting and what your body is feeling. However, there's several solutions to this, only one of which includes introducing a teleport mechanism. For example, one reason why flying games are much less prone to this is because the cockpit gives a static reference which reduces this mismatch. What if Fdev quickly put in an optional helmet overlay to give a similar reference when on-foot?

The UI isn't really a problem at all. All you really need to do is have proper headtracking for the HMD activated on-foot, in exactly the same way that it is in all other parts of the game, and use the current UI. Having proper support for motion controls along the lines of NMS would be nice, but is not necessary.

As for balance, you're going to have to explain that one - as far as I can see, any imbalance caused by VR is minimal, at best.

Frankly, the work needed to get a basic, but functional level of VR into the on-foot parts of Odyssey does not seem to be all that much - it's just that Frontier have gone from having an entire subpage of the elite dangerous site dedicated to extolling how it was 'built for VR' (which is now deleted) to not wanting to give any time to VR development at all.

The only "fix" would be to allow another developer to build a "real" VR version of OD and sell it as Odyssey VR. They did it with Borderlands 2. Then they wouldn't have to worry about making some people happy and they would generate more $$$$ since that seems to be important.

I was able to confirm this. Can't remember the name but he left Fdev years ago. They have no dedicated VR devs at Frontier. EDIT: Which implies that VR was never much of a focal point to begin with, more like a sidekick. Or ugly stepchild.
Looking at what state the VR has been for a while, I guess he took the only headset with him too. I mean there are bunch of issues that had to be reported that would've been completely obvious if one of the devs would've just put on a headset.

Looking at what state the VR has been for a while, I guess he took the only headset with him too. I mean there are bunch of issues that had to be reported that would've been completely obvious if one of the devs would've just put on a headset.

Yes. I noticed the VR specific bugs that had been on the issue council for a very long time (several years in one or two instances) were simply closed out right before the launch of Odyssey with some questionable "invalid" statements.

Last edited:
Go into Elite Odyssey, as it is right now. Land somewhere and disembark. Open the vanity camera and go to one of the 'shoulder' presets. Activate commander controls. Close the camera UI. You've just activated an already existing basic third-person VR on-foot mode in Odyssey. There's even a glitch where if you activate the vanity cam and headlook at the same time, it becomes a first-person full VR mode. It's slightly glitchy, the UI doesn't work, and interacting with terminals/NPCs doesn't work, but that's basically because you're using the vanity cam, so that is easily fixable by Fdev, if they actually want to do it.

Locomotion is only a small problem, unless, for some reason, you think a 'teleport' mode is actually required in all VR games, without exception. It isn't. Some people are more sensitive to VR-induced motion sickness due to the mismatch between what your eyes are reporting and what your body is feeling. However, there's several solutions to this, only one of which includes introducing a teleport mechanism. For example, one reason why flying games are much less prone to this is because the cockpit gives a static reference which reduces this mismatch. What if Fdev quickly put in an optional helmet overlay to give a similar reference when on-foot?

The UI isn't really a problem at all. All you really need to do is have proper headtracking for the HMD activated on-foot, in exactly the same way that it is in all other parts of the game, and use the current UI. Having proper support for motion controls along the lines of NMS would be nice, but is not necessary.

As for balance, you're going to have to explain that one - as far as I can see, any imbalance caused by VR is minimal, at best.

Frankly, the work needed to get a basic, but functional level of VR into the on-foot parts of Odyssey does not seem to be all that much - it's just that Frontier have gone from having an entire subpage of the elite dangerous site dedicated to extolling how it was 'built for VR' (which is now deleted) to not wanting to give any time to VR development at all.
Exactly right. Again it’s Frontier overthinking VR any worrying about people puking up. It’s totally pathetic.

Because it is a compromise. It was either VR with flatscreen for the on foot parts, or no VR at all in Odyssey.
I know that. but it works fine in vanity cam so that means they just took a lazy approach but my question was if they could do better than that....

I know that. but it works fine in vanity cam so that means they just took a lazy approach but my question was if they could do better than that....

Any dedication to VR went out the window when the one VR developer they had left and took the company's VR headset with him.

Of course they could do better. But they made it clear they have no plans for that/ any plans they may have had were dropped.

And I am not sure if I would classify the camera glitch as a sign of "they were working on it until recently" (if I am interpreting your statement correctly). The nature of a glitch is that it is unintended.

maybe somebody here with VR developer skills could volunteer their time to help Fdev and make it a little bit better than what we got right now?

maybe somebody here with VR developer skills could volunteer their time to help Fdev and make it a little bit better than what we got right now?
Since it's clear they have no interest in cooperating with such an effort it would be very difficult.

It's honestly more likely to spur something if we simply demanded a refund for odyssey.

You mean you dont like the 2d view when walking around ? do you think Fdev are magical techno wizards that can implement the same VR that exists in SRV/space ships but with the camera view placed in a helmet and basically the rest of game can behave the same exact way as it does now?

Please. It's one thing to have high expectations, but it's another to expect them to be Warlocks.
ALL I want is for pitch and yaw to be bindable to head movement! I don't see how this is a great technical feat.

But FD isn't supporting head tracking devices either (last I checked). Sure, you can look around (through your helmet), but you can't shoot where you are looking or interact with anything. So the first thing they need to fix is that.

I'd be happy with a seated VR experience. That's all I want, actually. I don't want to stand up and run around. The only difference I see between the ship flying experience and the seated walking experience is that the HUD/Helmet Visor Screen would need to move when you move your head, as opposed to being locked to the ship.

Those two things don't seem like they should be obstacles that are impossible to overcome.
ALL I want is for pitch and yaw to be bindable to head movement! I don't see how this is a great technical feat.

I don't get Frontier & FDevs mindset. They had all the good will of VR community in the world and they've deliberately chosen to throw it all away in times when other "sims" are improving their VR experiences. Hello Games devs with No Man's sky FULL VR support, Asobo devs are doing great job with VR support in MS flight simulator 2020 and it will only get better with according to them "massive up to 60% FPS performance increase" when migrating to DX12 (Xbox X title release) this July. Aerofly 2, IL2, War thunder run like a charm in VR. Even smaller more niche devs like Eagle Dynamics are working on bringing VR experience up a notch in DCS World and try to give back to their community by releasing FREE addons like Mariana Islands, dynamic campaign generator etc. I don't wanna spam with videos, but just look at what gamers are getting for FREE from Eagle Dynamics and compare that to what we got with PAYED Odyssey. It's just sad, so sad :(

Last edited:
I just learned from Obsidian Ant that +500 developers is working on MS Flight simulator 2020 atm and that's without 3rd party devs. Wow, just wow. How many Frontier's employees still work on The Odyssey and Elite Dangerous altogether? 50 maybe? Am I being too optimistic here?
500+ on FS2020 sounds unlikely, considering Asobo’s total staff count is 220.

500+ on FS2020 sounds unlikely, considering Asobo’s total staff count is 220.
I did a bit of digging myself on the subject and turns out Ant was right. Most of Asobo's employees worked on the project (Asobo currently employs 221 people), then Microsoft has confirmed that over 400 developers were granted direct access to the SDK as Asobo's (sub)contractors or as experts on aviation, weather modeling and other fields of expertise. Plus MS confirmed extensive list of 3rd party developers (currently around 30 3rd party development teams on MS list). The whole project looks huge. No wonder they could rewrite and optimize most of the code in less than a year after game release. I wonder how much money MS invested in this sims. I couldn't find the number, but it must be a lot, especially considering MS intends to keep developing and supporting the current sim platform for a decade or more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom