VR to remain same in odyssey (with bug fixes)

I just learned from Obsidian Ant that +500 developers is working on MS Flight simulator 2020 atm and that's without 3rd party devs. Wow, just wow. How many Frontier's employees still work on The Odyssey and Elite Dangerous altogether? 50 maybe? Am I being too optimistic here?

I just learned from Obsidian Ant that +500 developers is working on MS Flight simulator atm and that's without 3rd party devs. Wow, just wow. How many Frontier's employees still work on The Odyssey and Elite Dangerous altogether? 50 maybe? Am I being too optimistic here?

This is just hearsay but afaik the one VR developer they had left after finishing up the VR for Horizons.

EDIT: In terms of overall employees fdev has 560 total. source: https://www.owler.com/company/frontierdevelopmentsplc

Last edited:
This is just hearsay but afaik the one VR developer they had left after finishing up the VR for Horizons.

EDIT: In terms of overall employees fdev has 560 total. source: https://www.owler.com/company/frontierdevelopmentsplc
Thanks for the info. So no VR specialized developers in ED team anymore ? Maybe that's the reason why community manager said no additional VR development (with exception of major bug fixes) for The Odyssey. That's just said if true :(

Thanks for the info. So no VR specialized developers in ED team anymore ? Maybe that's the reason why community manager said no additional VR development (with exception of major bug fixes) for The Odyssey. That's just said if true :(

Yes, the impression I get is that they are dropping all VR support is because their resources are stretched thin as it is, and they need all hands on deck to fix Odyssey. Which means that any recent VR development that may have taken place was done by the regular non-VR development team. If they had dedicated VR developers they could happily plug along with VR support since those people wouldn't be working on any of the other stuff. If true this also explains why some of the VR specific bugs in Horizons on the issue council hadn't been touched for a year or two. Those bugs were only closed recently right before Odyssey launch, with some pretty laughable "invalid" statements.

This is just speculation of course but I don't think I am too far from the mark. Frankly I am not even sure if VR development is that much different from regular development but I would assume that there are some inherent differences and requires VR specific experience.

I must say - with this announcement, combined with the news yesterday of Facebook trying to insert ads into VR games, I have the distinct feeling that VR as a gaming technology is now effectively dead. It will join Betamax and HD-DVD on the special farm. Elite was one of the major flagship VR games, and now it's over. It's quite depressing. :(

I wouldn’t get too het up about the proposed ads yet - the devs who said they were going to trial them in one of their paid games have yesterday sucked back on that after a massive player backlash. They’re now going to test them in one of their free games - so I could see this becoming like free-to-play mobile games, where you can pay to get rid of the ads.

I can foresee that in standalone Quest games, not so much in PC land. With stuff like eye tracking, foveated rendering, and the non-mechanical solution for focus vergence on the table for headsets in the next few years, not to mention the success Oculus has with Quest 2 (it’s already outsold all the other Oculus headsets put together) - I’d probably not write it off just yet 😁

What I fear is that leaving VR development in Odyssey will extend to ships and SRV in future DLC. Or they just don't support new headsets... and let it die.

I don't think they make that mistake, but it makes me doubt ...

Last edited:
Just looking at NMS VR, it gives you an idea of how much work would be required to bring on-foot VR up to an acceptable level. Not only has the locomotion (I.e. teleporting vs walking/running) problems have to be solved, but they've also got to tackle how the User Interface would work in the VR and how to make sure that VR is balanced with other players not running VR.

I certainly feel that the original VR was only put in as a quick prototype and because it was such a good experience, for such little effort, that they kept it in. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pleased that we've still got VR in Ships and Vehicles (i.e. Easy sit-down VR) but now FDev have hit the "Hard" part of VR, then I'm afraid that where they're going to leave it.

I mean, would you pay for another DLC, just to get Full On-Foot VR? (FOFVR? ;) )

I was able to confirm this. Can't remember the name but he left Fdev years ago. They have no dedicated VR devs at Frontier. EDIT: Which implies that VR was never much of a focal point to begin with, more like a sidekick. Or ugly stepchild.

Last edited:
I was able to confirm this. His name was Greg or something similar and he left Fdev years ago. They have no dedicated VR devs at Frontier. EDIT: Which implies that VR was never much of a focal point to begin with, more like a sidekick. Or ugly stepchild.
Welp that could explain it. Our only hope maybe that a 3rd party program like Vorplex may work or some1 to do the coding for EDO.

I guess complaining on this shame and failure leads to nothing. It is just time to leave. There are plenty of AAA titles coming and FDev simply decided, that they would not join the trend. Well.. its their decision, not my sadness. Unless they proof otherwise, i am gone...
Gladly i have an LEP to check now and then without wasting any more money... the several hundred Euros i invested in micro transactions, audio books and such stuff to support the game i wanted still feel pretty much wasted. Especially when you consider, that i originally backed as a Mac player and got wasted and now, as a VR player, got wasted again. Trust -> lost.

Last edited:
they said before that reason for no VR for new content because they wanted to do it properly.
then if you wanna do it properly why give us this crappy flat screen and not some form of VR for now?
is that best they can do?

they said before that reason for no VR for new content because they wanted to do it properly.
then if you wanna do it properly why give us this crappy flat screen and not some form of VR for now?
is that best they can do?
Because it is a compromise. It was either VR with flatscreen for the on foot parts, or no VR at all in Odyssey.

I just learned from Obsidian Ant that +500 developers is working on MS Flight simulator 2020 atm and that's without 3rd party devs. Wow, just wow. How many Frontier's employees still work on The Odyssey and Elite Dangerous altogether? 50 maybe? Am I being too optimistic here?
400 <ish> people at Cloud Imperium (SC) Alpha since 2015 - no VR (maybe later, working in VorpX)
26 people at Hello Games (NMS) Released and stable with free updates and huge engine overhauls since 2018 (converted to VR)
20 people at EgoSoft (X4) Released and stable with two big paid updates since 2018 (no VR, and unlikely ever)

I don't think it's how many people are working on a thing but how focused and talented the crew you have are (IMHO).
Just wait until neural links become commonplace, with unblockable ads 🤪😂.
There will never be unblockable ads, it's like the arms race :)
I mean, would you pay for another DLC, just to get Full On-Foot VR?
Yes, absolutely I would.
I guess complaining on this shame and failure leads to nothing. It is just time to leave. There are plenty of AAA titles coming and FDev simply decided, that they would not join the trend. Well.. its their decision, not my sadness. Unless they proof otherwise, i am gone...
Gladly i have an LEP to check now and then without wasting any more money... the several hundred Euros i invested in micro transactions, audio books and such stuff to support the game i wanted still feel pretty much wasted. Especially when you consider, that i originally backed as a Mac player and got wasted and now, as a VR player, got wasted again. Trust -> lost.
Ouch! I bought Horizons on a Steam sale for about £15 and Odyssey was a birthday present from my neice and I spent maybe £20 in the store. After nearly 2000 hours I'm more than satiated - but, there's nothing else in this genre that ticks all the boxes for me (must be VR, must be open world, must have more than fighting, must have landable planets - I mean, there is Evochron Legacy SE which even has a better flight model but it just doesn't ... do it for me, it's hard to explain).
Mind you, I never trusted Fdev. I bought Horizons because I was frankly shocked how quickly they introduced the first landable planets into the game, thinking more would follow at that speed, lesson learned...

Last edited:
You mean you dont like the 2d view when walking around ? do you think Fdev are magical techno wizards that can implement the same VR that exists in SRV/space ships but with the camera view placed in a helmet and basically the rest of game can behave the same exact way as it does now?

Please. It's one thing to have high expectations, but it's another to expect them to be Warlocks.
Explain why it can’t be done.

Top Bottom