VR vs pancake

VR is only a year or so away from a cheap headset as good as the Varjo. Perhaps longer what with the goings on in the world.
@Dragsham What are you predicating this on? I would love it if you're right but we're 4 years on from the XTAL, full panel, high quality VR and still nothing in the mainstream consumer segment.

VR is only a year or so away from a cheap headset as good as the Varjo. Perhaps longer what with the goings on in the world.
Probably true...

The only problem is that as the resolution (therefore clarity) of HMDs improves so do the demands made on hardware to provide such clarity. Rendering 'tricks' would asist in reducing the overhead, a little, granted...

But, even if great hardware, full of tricks to make them easier to power, do appear, what isn't appearing is great software to sell them, at least to the gaming public. Are there a plethora of VR games of sufficient quality (and with reasonable play times) hovering on the horizon, awaiting the HMDs? Not as far as I know!

Today VR is an answer without a question, as far as gaming studios are concerned, there are a few good titles that really show off the capabilities (or which ED isn't one, a single viewpoint experience that looks reasonable but doesn't leverage anything else) but they are already ageing, to become less than a niche interest more needs to be delivered.

But, even if great hardware, full of tricks to make them easier to power, do appear, what isn't appearing is great software to sell them, at least to the gaming public. Are there a plethora of VR games of sufficient quality (and with reasonable play times) hovering on the horizon, awaiting the HMDs? Not as far as I know!

Today VR is an answer without a question, as far as gaming studios are concerned, there are a few good titles that really show off the capabilities (or which ED isn't one, a single viewpoint experience that looks reasonable but doesn't leverage anything else) but they are already ageing, to become less than a niche interest more needs to be delivered.
I am, personally, going to vehemently disagree with this. For all gaming software, hardware and accessories, VR has been the fastest growing segment year on year for a number of years. ( I like to follow the market research from a number of sources ). 29% of the 169 million console gamers in the US are actively using VR. That's 55 million and ignores, PC, AR, professional and public use, e.g. Theme Parks so actual VR usage is higher. In 2021, revenue was $5 Billion and the growth rate puts that at more than $20 Billion by 2024.

The nay sayers always like to say VR is a 'tiny' user base but, 29% isn't anymore and for comparison, Apple across their entire portfolio of products, have less than 10% market share and still declining since the late 80s. Yet they're still the biggest ( tech - not overall ) company on earth and no-one calls them 'niche'.

Last edited:
I am, personally, going to vehemently disagree with this. For all gaming software, hardware and accessories, VR has been the fastest growing segment year on year for a number of years. ( I like to follow the market research from a number of sources ). 29% of the 169 million console gamers in the US are actively using VR. That's 55 million and ignores, PC, AR, professional and public use, e.g. Theme Parks so actual VR usage is higher. In 2021, revenue was $5 Billion and the growth rate puts that at more than $20 Billion by 2024.

The nay sayers always like to say VR is a 'tiny' user base but, 29% isn't anymore and besides, Apple across their entire portfolio of products, have less than 10% share and still declining. They're still the biggest ( tech - not overall ) company on earth.
Disagree away, as vehemently as you desire... (as you appear to not have read what I wrote)

So are you claiming there is a massive influx of quality software also about to be released to support these devices?

ETA: Hardly a naysayer, too. I have both Valve Index and Oculus (meta) Quest 2...

Last edited:
Longer. Far longer than you think to be sub $300 for Reverb G2 quality, let alone Primax.
These prices are not coming down that much in a year, and Meta looks like increasing the price of the next Quest.
You can put the cost next to these yourself.
HeadsetResolution (per eye)Total Pixels (both eyes)
Reverb2160 x 21609,331,200
Quest 21832 x 19207,034,880
Index1440 x 16004,608,000
Cosmos Elite1440 x 17004,896,000
Vive Pro1440 x 16004,608,000
Rift S1280 x 14403,686,400
Vive1080 x 12002,592,000

Last edited:
Disagree away, as vehemently as you desire... (as you appear to not have read what I wrote)

So are you claiming there is a massive influx of quality software also about to be released to support these devices?

ETA: Hardly a naysayer, too. I have both Valve Index and Oculus (meta) Quest 2...
They ain't buying the headsets because they're rich and having nothing to do with them

Longer. Far longer than you think to be sub $300 for Reverb G2 quality, let alone Primax.
These prices are not coming down that much in a year, and Meta looks like increasing the price of the next Quest.
Don't you mean Pimax Quality let alone Reverb G2. :p

I agree though, I don't see prices coming down, especially with a recession looming. Not unless someone is warehousing a huge amount of stock to offload ( Ahem, NVidia, please take note for GPUs )

Bye... Remember, you started on the insulting conversation, didn't you?
Oh Ratty my friend. Months and Months i have been away from this forum, but it is great to see things have not changed much on here. I see you are in good form my friend. Some of my best moments where reading your great posts.

Now next thing is i have to try get back into the game!! So as not to be too 'Off Topic' back into the game on a Pancake or dig out the ole Reverb G1. Whats this Odeddy thing like in VR, Flat and grey i read??

Oh Ratty my friend. Months and Months i have been away from this forum, but it is great to see things have not changed much on here. I see you are in good form my friend. Some of my best moments where reading your great posts.

Now next thing is i have to try get back into the game!! So as not to be too 'Off Topic' back into the game on a Pancake or dig out the ole Reverb G1. Whats this Odeddy thing like in VR, Flat and grey i read??
Did you read why I wote that my buzzing little friend?

Problem with VR is that it's making many of the same mistakes as WAP did twenty years ago. While just about 'usable' both WAP and VR were first released as buggy, user-unfriendly, over-hyped technologies with limited content and walled gardens. Many have ended up buying VR headsets, only to realize their PC's don't support them, or that there is very limited content out there for them. There are a lot of VR headsets out there at this stage, but the question is how many are actually in use? Between, the need to 'set up' your headset whenever you want to use it, the various crashes and other issues many headsets suffer constantly, lack of content, constantly needing to change batteries for controllers and so on - how many are at this stage are just gathering dust?

I think the hardware is going to have to get lighter, cheaper, more convenient and idiot proof, and I suspect that development of that technology will likely come from the AR/AX space, before feeding back into VR. As such I suspect it'll remain a niche market for most of the next decade.

I have played Elite since last year, with just under 900 hours in (nice feature, Steam!). I began with an Alienware R7 and a 1080ti that I bought on eBay for $1200 four years ago; it's now apparently worth 700. Not bad value on that front, but I completely understand the reluctance of people to invest in this new tech when they have bills to pay and mouths to feed. After spending months waiting for GPU prices to fall or some great deal to come around I just upgraded to an Alden Lake CPU/3090 RTX setup for under three grand. Compared to where the prices were just four months ago that's pretty good, I think.

I have been a VR evangelist for about 5 years now since I first bought the Oculus Rift DK1. I've owned several headsets over the last five years but I've now settled on the Valve Index since I pre-ordered it prior to release. I get the comfort complaints from various people in this thread but I have to tell you the Index is far and away the most comfortable HMD I've ever used. I can easily wear this thing for 8-10(!) hours at a time in almost total comfort.

I was one of the many who cursed FDev for screwing over VR players with Odyssey but I have recently been trying to make it work after holding out on the DLC until a few months ago. The planets, galaxy map, and almost everything look so much better! I wasn't having many issues with my 1080ti previously and certainly nothing now with the 3090. But it is really stupid of them to not implement at least limited VR support for Odyssey.

I'm totally into the immersion of VR and use HOTAS, Voice Attack, and HCS Voicepacks. The Ad-Astra plugin as first officer (and Vega as my science officer) are so much fun and adds so much to the game - I have Data as my science officer, you guys! For those who aren't experiencing this, I can't emphasize enough how it makes the game so much more immersive. Now I only ever play in pancake with a mouse and keyboard when I am logging in to do some logistics, like taxiing to visit Material Traders or buy some nearby fittings, etc.

My one issue is that I can't find any way to make the on-foot controls work with a HOTAS. Every version of keybinds I've tried makes even simple things like cutting open a panel a frustrating experience. So I am trying to instead use an Xbox wireless controller - but that is still a work in progress.

Having never played elite in pancake I've always been a loud advocate for that lump stuck on my face.
And lve said many times how immersion within VR is awesome.
But what l didn't know was how pancake was. I'd never played elite in it. So...
I decided today to have a go.
I'm out in the black have been a few mths now. Mapping, doing bios, Stella phenomena, raw mats in a buggy, even mining cores etc.
So l figured I'd do pretty much the same routine as normal only in pancake 🥞.

Fired up elite and spent 4 hours or so this morning without that appendage stuck on my face. And that's the only upside!
Because its bloody horrible in pancake...mining cores! A doddle in VR in pancake I was missing everything! Put that down to inexperience at 2D I guess.
Mapping was OK but boring cos l can't see anything! No eye candy no amazing sunsets vistas not a sausage. Put that down to me being spoilt rotten as VR just stops you dead sometimes..
Bios...on foot...flatscreen! I almost died...ran out of battery power chasing a 3rd scan l couldn't find the buggy!! Omg this view is soooo convoluted! Like looking through the wrong end of a telescope..! Adjusted elites settings marginally better but again...spoilt rotten by panoramic VR.
If you haven't tried it. Do.
Because omg your missing the good stuff.
Ain't all about content. It's about how the game makes you feel. Pancake is defo not for me in elite odyssey.
Experiment failed !

o7
Yea ,..it was about before 2-3 years ,..i had a Gforce 980 GTX ...Blah ,...and it was the first time (in Horizons that days ) that i tryed out VR .. OF course i was new to VR i was surprised that the View in VR is not that good ..And i dint know that the NV 980 is a bit to old for VR ..(but it worket ) ..SO i played a little in VR with some Stutters here and there ,But the VR Feeling was awasome .I made the same Dragsham...... Disconected the VR Glasses and enjoyed the better Graphics with no Stutter .BUT ... Not that good graphics and some little tweak here and there in VR is realy much better then the feeling in Pancake view.. And after these try out i never switched Back to Pancake view....Speacialy the Landscape in the thin athmosphere is absolut great .. (BTW i got a RTX 3060 with 12GB yesterday (for 411 Euro) and that helped a lot after my RTX 2060 with 6 MB )

My one issue is that I can't find any way to make the on-foot controls work with a HOTAS. Every version of keybinds I've tried makes even simple things like cutting open a panel a frustrating experience. So I am trying to instead use an Xbox wireless controller - but that is still a work in progress.
I don't do much on-foot play, but if I do I tend to do so with the HOTAS throttle (Left-hand) and mouse (Right-hand). Flying, almost exclusively HOTAS throttle (Left-hand) and joystick (Right-hand). Extensive use of the mouse in the maps.

Top Bottom