We need better communication

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In Soviet Russia, cake eats you!

iu

Update 5 was the last as communicated to us in the roadmap. So far as we were concerned, it was console release next. But that all changed when the CEO himself just days ago told us they're changing that plan entirely and now they're going to focus on the PC version. I think that's enough for this particular moment; I mean, the CEO has posted more times in the last 2 months than I can remember over the last 6 years. We know they're working on the PC version now. We don't need them to walk us through that with another week-by-week "fixes and enhancements" roadmap.

They're communicating quite a bit with us. I don't need more communication, I just need updates. And I'm not fussed about them giving me any kind of estimate on when right now.

I’m just spitballing here, but if they knew exactly what caused the performance problems ... they wouldn’t have released Odyssey with those problems.

And then - work with me, folks - if they don’t know exactly what the problems are, they can’t give an exact timeline for fixing them.

Not sure about others, but at this point I don't need communication.

I need results.

Get performance back on track, make the lighting not weird, and start introducing ground Thargoid combat (or some other hook to make the grind in Odyssey make sense). Do that, and the news will get back to us. No CM(s) needed.
Well, as we have witnessed from the last few months it's not going to be a quick and easy road to get things working properly in Odyssey. As that is going to continue to be the case, we need constant communication so we know that something's happening / being worked on. Wanting positive results is one thing but we'll need a lot of patience to see them realised (assuming it can be done).

+1 for communication.

My background. I'm a professional artist. My specific industry has been majorly impacted by the pandemic. Probably more than any other industry.

So when a company releases a product under the following circumstances that suddenly makes my machine out of date.

1. global pandemic
2. Chip shortage
3. Cryptocurrency causing GPU shortages and massive price increases.
4. Uncertain economic times
5. Will we be locked down tomorrow
6. When is my next pay check coming
7. Finding the rent for my studio

Game bugs don't bother me. They do for the most part get fixed. And hats off to FDEV for fixing them. What es me off the most is without warning my computer not meeting system requisites. This is a game after all that was released in 2014. What EDO brought to the table should have allowed a potato from 2014 to run this game fairly well.

Now considering I can actually play EDO on ultra with some minor tweaks (SS sample rate) it's clear that no optimisation was done. I would like to see better communication on how this pile of poop is going to be optimised. What technologies were used, why did they stop using other technologies. The actual specifics would be very grateful. What actually is broken and how do they plan to fix this.

I can then make a proper informed decision on whether to upgrade my machine. At the moment considering the games I currently play, Elite aside and what games I'm interested in purchasing over the next year. I actually don't need to. But to do so for a DLC for a game released in 2014.....See where I'm going with this.

P.S. I'm an explorer. FPS combat doesn't interest me.

I know FDev has said that they would be more open and transparent, we keep hearing that they will be honestly honest but yet we are left in the dark.

At the time of writing this, 2 weeks have passed since update 5 and there is no update 6 to be seen, so far we had news on what FDev is not doing (ship interiors, releasing on consoles at the end of the year, etc.) but not on what are they doing, if any mention is mostly vague or too general.

I have seen other games use very detailed road maps, here we get nothing, for example the first 5 patches had "bug fixes and optimizations" but what were those "bug fixes and optimizations", it's to vague, is as meaningful as FDev saying "we are working", which is meaningless because you are being paid to do that, you are expected to work, is like if every time I'm asked what I'm doing I aswered with "I'm breathing".

I also have seen companies make public task board like Trello showing exactly was will be done, was is being done and what is done but not released yet, I would love to see something like that, yet, here we got nothing, every time we ask for something the answer is the same: "we are working on it" or "it's being looked at", again, bad, unclear and vague communication.

The community has grown hostile in some parts, and while it's wrong to attack people from FDev, I understand where they come from. We invested our time, money and hopes in Odyssey and Elite as a whole, in return we got a broken expansion that it's more of the same. FDev says that they will are working on it, no mention on exactly what, or how or when we only know they are working on it. And that's frustrating, being left in the dark when we invested so much in this game. We need more transparency, we need more information.
Also a small reminder for the CMDR out there, THIS DOESN'T JUSTIFY HARASSING AND ATTACKING THE DEVS.

FDev promised better communication, honesty and transparency. So far we got honesty. Kinda? Being honestly honest I don't trust FDev honesty. Not when all they say lacks information it feels like a façade, like corporate PR speech, like "damage control". After Odyssey the community has grown distant, it feels like the community is dissolving, I have criticized this game in the past, but I would hate to see it die because there is no other game like it. Don't let it die.

Two way street. You can want/demand better communication, but if all you offer is animosity, criticism and desire/expectations in return, you're not going to get anything.

Communication requires two groups, you know, willing to communicate...and, critically, being willing to be patient, listen and compromise.

If you feel like FDev isn't communicating well, is it really them and them alone? Or is it possible, however unlikely, it can be us?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom