We need better communication

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Game development is always ongoing, from investigating and fixing issues through to looking into new updates. However whilst development is always ongoing it isn't always in the right state to be shared. Talk about something too early and then you can end up with disappointment and anger if that thing has changed or isn't what some had envisioned. It's like seeing a live action version of your favourite book, it doesn't matter how good the acting is if the portrayal is different to your head-cannon.

Our developers are working really hard on the feedback we've been given, Update 6 is being worked on and we are exploring additional features and improvements to Odyssey which we will be more than happy to share with you once we can be sure what we show you is at least very close to what you will get.

As always we will share any news we can on the forums, social and of course in Supercruise News on Tuesdays.
Thx Paul!

waves with broken shotgun

we are exploring additional features and improvements to Odyssey which we will be more than happy to share with you once we can be sure what we show you is at least very close to what you will get.
Oh no!
That's exactly the same mistake fdev keeps making.
Talk to us BEFORE doing such things or you will end up again doing things that only few cares and instead you miss more important things that the community is expecting..

Maybe it isn't a mistake, in the end its their game.
More importantly, it's their business. One that they risk running into the ground if their customer base abandons them for being too cagey and continuing to hint at pie in the sky promises but consistently producing lacklustre (at best) results.

you miss more important things that the community is expecting..
"The community is expecting" - who is this community, in real terms?
There are vociferous demands and much hand-wringing over stuff that exists, doesn't exist, was expected to exist and was wildly imagined to exist in the Odyssey release...

No, keep whatever fond imagining of "community" that is referenced here in the forum out of it and let the developers of the game do exactly that, develop it, even if it isn't what "you" or another part of "the community" wishes... That path just leads to failure, even more so than the dog's dinner that was released.
rat_guns.jpg

More importantly, it's their business. One that they risk running into the ground if their customer base abandons them for being too cagey and continuing to hint at pie in the sky promises but consistently producing lacklustre (at best) results.
Yes, this is true. But until then, its their business as usual.

Game development is always ongoing, from investigating and fixing issues through to looking into new updates. However whilst development is always ongoing it isn't always in the right state to be shared. Talk about something too early and then you can end up with disappointment and anger if that thing has changed or isn't what some had envisioned. It's like seeing a live action version of your favourite book, it doesn't matter how good the acting is if the portrayal is different to your head-cannon.

Our developers are working really hard on the feedback we've been given, Update 6 is being worked on and we are exploring additional features and improvements to Odyssey which we will be more than happy to share with you once we can be sure what we show you is at least very close to what you will get.

As always we will share any news we can on the forums, social and of course in Supercruise News on Tuesdays.
Talk about nothing for too long, and people will lose interest and stop waiting for things to come. Once you start loosing playerbase interest they will move on,with a bitter feelings of spending lots of money on a broken DLC.

Those Update 1-5 kept people interested during June, but cancelation of a Dev stream, missing Road Map and this silence for half of July pretty much underminging all that effort.

I can't imagine how you are planing on recovering those Mostly Negative reviews on steam, or if you care about them at all. But i always thought if you keep playerbase focused on the game, while showing or walking them through the process of recovery of the DLC to a playable state - it would weight much more in the long run and for the future DLC's, than abandoning them half way, like you are doing now.

Hell NO! This 'us' and 'we' is a big illusion and just doesn't work the way you seem to expect. This community is far too divided for that to be a valid option. And the day this community has a strong say in the future development of ED is the day I will leave.

As long as things are unclear or undecided, they should not be discussed openly. They have tried that in the past (think of Sandro's innocent open only push for Power Play and how "we" made a huge ball out of it), but nothing fruitful ever came of it. FDev actually seems to be learning from past mistakes, something I wish I could say the same for parts of this community.
Pffft.. think what could have happened if they released poerplay open only without discussing it with the community...

i don't know. To me it seems, fdev sits all on pretty high horses.

They will fail. Hard. I mean, asuming, someone in there team, said: "yeah odyssey is fine we release and we will have three months to optimize it for last gen console".... haha yeah sure. Who believed that in the first place?

How disconnected from the game and the console hardware you want to release on, can you be?

Great to know Paul, but any update on the cake situation?

You keep talking about features people were looking forward to as if they've invented them wholesale in their heads. I didn't imagine the original Fleet carrier plans, with support vessels and more in depth customization. I didn't imagine the ice planet rework shown off years ago, or Odyssey's pre alpha planet screenshots. Or the original multicrew plans. Nor did i imagine David Braben saying new SRV's were coming "soon"...5 years ago. I didn't imagine Odyssey being touted as some sort of large scale "sphere of combat" Battlefield style combined arms shooter either.

What i'm trying to say is this: I know game development is hard and is always subject to change, but when feature after feature is watered down from how it's originally envisioned it's very disheartening and doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom