ANNOUNCEMENT Welcome to the new forums!

Just to clarify one of the points raised about the forum theme, we can absolutely (With your feedback) look at changing the Elite Dangerous theme to make it more appealing to everyone. What we currently can't do is enable the option to pick the theme in the Elite Forum (i.e. let you choose the Jurassic World Evolution theme). It's a functionality that's not currently there with the subgame sections. It's something we'll be looking into but we have no time frame of when it could be added or if it is possible.

In the meantime we would very much appreciate suggestions for theme changes so we can make it work better for you :)

The most important priority of any forum is to be readable for all its users. The bells and whistles of this new software will be for naught if the forums are so uncomfortable to read they drive participants away. A lot of people are reporting eyestrain and discomfort from the white text on a black background. In my case, I had a headache after only fifteen minutes of trying to read the new forums last night. This goes beyond a personal preference, it's a potential health and accessibility issue for some. Previously, we could just switch the forum theme from dark to light if that was more comfortable but the answer that the new software cannot support this is extremely unfortunate. I'm disappointed that FD has apparently purchased this product without considering accessibility issues such as this.

There is an ability to change the forum theme in each user's Settings and I would suggest you consider this:

1. Remove all enforced themes from the sub-game sections.
2. Allow users to choose their preferred theme from the picker in Settings - Frontier Developments, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster or Jurassic World Evolution.
3. All forums display in the user's preferred theme. Thus everyone gets to choose a theme that is most confortable for them.

A lot of people are reporting eyestrain and discomfort from the white text on a black background.

This is the one argument I don't understand. If this is the case, how on earth are they coping with a space game that involves everything (much of it white) against a dark background?

For my own part, I'm the opposite. I find a white background has an overwhelming glare, and the overall low light output from a dark background is far less taxing to me. There has been a lot of demand for just such a theme in Windows itself, but at least Microsoft do give users a choice between light or dark themes.

If global customisation of the forum is not possible, could there not be at least a choice between two Elite themes? This would seem like the best compromise.

Last edited:
Hello Commanders,

Welcome to the new and improved Frontier Forums! We're so happy to have you here! Everything is now live and running on XenForo. All of our game forums are now together on one platform, and there are some great new features and improvements!

Here’s what you can expect from the new forums:

New Forum Features
  • Native mobile support with a responsive theme
  • New forum trophies
  • The developer tracker!
  • Personal news feed - follow your friends to see what they're up to!
  • A modern-day WYSIWYG editor
  • Native Two-Factor support
  • Post reaction system - replaces the vBulletin reputation system
  • Push Notifications - get notified in seconds on your mobile or desktop
  • Rich link previews.
  • Post & Thread bookmarking
  • Auto-embed of social posts. Just place the URL in your post, boom - it's embedded!
  • Basic video upload and auto-embed support (limited to MP4, WEBM and OGG currently)
  • Sidebar widgets (on the right side)
  • Inline spoilers. When you tab or click on the text, it'll de-spoiler!
Here's a couple of features that are changing slightly on Xenforo (though the functionality/use remains the same!)

Reputation on vBulletin does not exist as reputation on XenForo. Basically, reputation on the old forums has now been converted into post likes.

Emoticons/Smilies?
Smilies from the previous vBulletin are not included on Xenforo, as it natively supports emoticons.

Where is my signature picture?
XenForo does not support directly uploaded signature pictures. You will need to host the images elsewhere and then use the image function in the editor to link to them to your profile.

Why are attachments missing from various posts?
Numerous attachments that have not had any recent views have been removed from the attachments database. Attachments take up a huge portion of our forum storage, so we took this opportunity to clean up a little!

If you have any feedback about the new forums, or any changes we have made to older sections, please feel free to reply here with your thoughts. Should you have any other questions, we're around to help you ASAP!

Thank you so much for bearing with us through this process; we are so excited about the new look and feel of everything. We hope you find your new home just as welcoming as they should be.
Hi. I have lost all posting privelidges. My thread count is 0 and I can't find the elite support that I was posting in. So far I'm not impressed with the new look. I thought the forum itself would have remained the same. Note I need to start from scratch it would seem

The most important priority of any forum is to be readable for all its users. The bells and whistles of this new software will be for naught if the forums are so uncomfortable to read they drive participants away. A lot of people are reporting eyestrain and discomfort from the white text on a black background. In my case, I had a headache after only fifteen minutes of trying to read the new forums last night. This goes beyond a personal preference, it's a potential health and accessibility issue for some. Previously, we could just switch the forum theme from dark to light if that was more comfortable but the answer that the new software cannot support this is extremely unfortunate. I'm disappointed that FD has apparently purchased this product without considering accessibility issues such as this.

There is an ability to change the forum theme in each user's Settings and I would suggest you consider this:

1. Remove all enforced themes from the sub-game sections.
2. Allow users to choose their preferred theme from the picker in Settings - Frontier Developments, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster or Jurassic World Evolution.
3. All forums display in the user's preferred theme. Thus everyone gets to choose a theme that is most confortable for them.

They can absolutely do this easily and right now.

The option is right there in their admin panel in forums > nodes. Under each forum and category uncheck: Override user style choice.

That will let someone set the elite theme for the entire! forum if they like it and i can also pick the FD theme. No more of this alternating theme nonsense when you browse around too.

The mind boggles why they are being so stuborn over this. The fix is simple.

I cant go more than 2 pages without blurry lines burnt in to my vision for a fair while. Like briefly looking at the sun or lightbulb. Im not enjoying it.

This is the one argument I don't understand. If this is the case, how on earth are they coping with a space game that involves everything (much of it white) against a dark background?

For my own part, I'm the opposite. I find a white background has an overwhelming glare, and the overall low light output from a dark background is far less taxing to me. There has been a lot of demand for just such a theme in Windows itself, but at least Microsoft do give users a choice between light or dark themes.

If global customisation of the forum is not possible, could there not be at least a choice between two Elite themes? This would seem like the best compromise.

Because this is the view from my ship and as you can see there is not much white on black,
wzyTo2s.png

it is no where near an strain on my eyes as is trying to read more than say 10 lines of a forum post as these forums are now. I just tried to read a post about the Thargoid war and found that the words were blurring into one mass of white, I dont have the best eye sight been wearing specs since I was 8 so over 40 years, and yes the forums are nice when it comes to function and layout but the white on black is just bad.

Last edited:
On the other hand, this site is way more demanding on my processor. This site apparently uses a lot of javascript. It causing the fan on my laptop to spin up (due to heat). When I noticed this I tested to make sure it's this site using CPU, and it is - close to 50% on a dual-core system. That's likely one core saturated. And all I am doing is just typing this post!

Frontier, are you running Bitcoin mining software in our browsers?

I'd be curious what this site does to mobile devices - it might be a battery killer.

My iPhone doesn’t seem to mind. BC mining is easy enough to detect and if you’re clever you can even redirect the results back to your own wallet, so I doubt that’s the case.

They'll return soon. There's some permissions not playing nice (read: sticky-permissions) with the private forums. All threads are still there. :)

I actually have moderators able to view all of the private forums, the another moderator unable to view any of it, and another moderator able to see a couple forums. It's a bit... weird. :)
Yeah, XF permissions can be rather confusing. They normally do make sense after you think about them for a while though, and ofc you are very much advised to follow the "rules" about how to set things up too. (Caveat: my experience is with XF 1.x)

No 'turn off your signature for this reply' so the threads get INARA'd to death.. :(

Old logins not through store - there is a way ;) - not sure I should say though or else I might disappear in a puff of smoke..

Login through my frontier account exposes my RL name - I dont want that - thats why I have another account...

YB

Why is everything so big? Font is huge, as are avatars

To be unhelpful in the best tradition of the forums.

The text looks about the same size for me and while avatars might be slightly bigger, or at least easier to see what they are, at the size of my thumbnail they are in no way huge.

Yep, totally saw it coming from a mile off how awful Xenforo would be.
I'm not going into the chapter and verse of why, I'm logging out of the forum permanently.

And no, you can't haz my stuffs.

Brett C

Frontier
Logging back into this new forum had to be the most frustrating experiences so far this year. I'm still fuming!
The login flow should be either Normal Login (like how it was pre-migration) and the Login with Frontier method. Login with Frontier is optional for pre-migration account on the Frontier Forums before March 24th, but recommended. New accounts will need to go thru the new registration system.

Brett C

Frontier
In the end I find this new forum rather nice.

Clear, well ordered, functional.

However, I regret having lost my star under my avatar.

I hope Brett can return it to me again.

:)
Can't easily put back font awesome icons to user titles on XenForo currently. Sort of was a hack-job i did to make that work on vBulletin (who doesn't like science?!).

Brett C

Frontier
On the other hand, this site is way more demanding on my processor. This site apparently uses a lot of javascript. It causing the fan on my laptop to spin up (due to heat). When I noticed this I tested to make sure it's this site using CPU, and it is - close to 50% on a dual-core system. That's likely one core saturated. And all I am doing is just typing this post!

Frontier, are you running Bitcoin mining software in our browsers?

I'd be curious what this site does to mobile devices - it might be a battery killer.
What browser and version?

We do have a "fingerprint" tool active on the forums. XenForo uses it for ban enforcement and user discouragement (it does what the word says it does). Sounds like that might be running more than what it should and using CPU i/o. I will dig into this issue.

How does one change the email address for the forum account? Mine is incorrect, and I see no way to edit it via the preferences pages.

I tried the 'contact us' link, but it's not working properly. It goes to the corporate site, with a link back here to the forums that returns an error message.

Top Bottom