Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I was already squeezing it, running Oculus on a GTX 1060 3GB, but I had managed to get a decent fps using medium quality. It seems I'm not the only one looking at the issue tracker.

I used to do movies, so I got used to 24 fps. I'm not picky when it comes to fps :)

Edit: Speaking of, 24 fps. Going from 24/25/30 fps to 50/60 fps makes a huge difference, but when people say they are able to see any differences above (true) 90 fps, I come to think of the High Fidelity days, when people claimed they could hear the difference between two high end amplifiers. They couldn't. At one time one time Quad was given a bad review in a HiFi magazine, and they challenged any reviewer to tell a Quad amplifier from another equally priced amplifier in a blind A/B test. Nobody accepted the challenge.
It's partly placebo and in part something subconscious. I've got a normal 60Hz monitor so I'm used to 60FPS on that and 90 in VR. When I played ED on friend's rig with 120Hz monitor, it feels different. Especially during combat in asteroid fields. Don't know what it is. Maybe during the quick head movement the image remains crisper or something. Personally it's not a difference I can exactly tell, but there is a difference. I'm not buying a 120 or 144Hz monitor because of that, of course.
So I think that unlike music hocus that are hi-fi "enthusiast devices" where there is literally no difference in the sound when you do the frequency analysis, there is something about high FPS that is there.

Last edited:
I asked in another thread, but because this has become my goto thread for advice, since the tone is friendly here: Does anyone have experience enough with ED updates to tell roughly when the FPS problem can be expected to be fixed? And is it sort of safe to say that it will be fixed at all?

Well, after you've been around the game a while you'll realize that predicting what will get fixed, and when, is impossible. FD sometimes lets bugs go for a long time before they get fixed, even ones that people shout about a lot, and other times they fix 'em up quickly. I'm sure there are internal reasons for what they do, and the order they do them in, but it's opaque to us. They don't communicate about it, so we just have to guess.

It will be fixed, though. Eventually. I personally have not encountered much problem with FPS so far (I run a 1060 6GB on a normal monitor, no VR).

With regards to FPS and Oculus. I can higly recommend the Oculus Homeless patch. That helped me a lot.

Read all about it

I'm now back to all settings low, with a FPS readout, trying to figure out, what settings are heavy on the hardware, and which are not. I kind of like that exercise in a strange way. Remind me of the good ol' days.

I decided not to continue with my Alt, at least for the moment. I'm more interested in unlocking the Engineers out in Colonia, and futzing around there. So today I went back to Colonia Hub to reconfigure my ship. I took all the mining stuff off, and put the ship back in "missions" mode. Then I had a fun time out at some distress signal collecting occupied life pods for whats-his-face engineer...Etienne something.

I took a pretty long break from ED, several weeks, and now that I'm back I'm amazed all over again at how it looks and feels to play this game. I still love it.

Here's my view at Colonia Hub today:

Desktop-Screenshot-2019.04.24---07.44.55.63.jpg

I have a 1060 gtx ( 6 gb G-ram) and 16gb memory , no issues here with fps here either, so I won't be toning down my fx options. only issue I got atm is with the keyboard not doing like the menu says :p

press m for mode changing. the computer says No!

Just made my first Billion credits from exploration heading out of the bubble to SagA and heading back via Colonia and Rhoini...
Had enough of scanning icy bodies you can land on and HMC's you cannot land on.....a bit angry about it...
When I get back to the bubble ...I think I'll by a corvette and go make some more icy bodies from pirate ships.

Got interdicted while flying my new (and completely empty) Fer De Lance between engineers, so decided to give it its first combat test. My wanna-be pirate NPC lasted about 5 seconds before transmitting "I didn't expect this" and exploding. Didn't even get to fire the multicannon at him, just the twin beams + twin burst lasers were all it needed...

I think I've made the right choice for a haz res farmer :)

Last edited:
LOL. I gotta laugh at myself. Yesterday I decided to unlock some Engineers out at Colonia area, and reconfigured my ship (took all the mining stuff off of it). Ran around doing various tasks for a couple of the Engineers and got them unlocked, yay.

Then I check the requirements for the next Engineer. I have to mine osmium! I guess I shoulda checked before removing all my mining gear!

Oh well...it's not like my power priorities keep resetting to 1 every time I go to Outfitting, or anything. Haha. (geez that's an annoying bug).

Hope y'all are well.

PS I also love the sky out here. So many stars, everything looks beautiful. I miss my Corvette, though. Sometimes I just want to be in a fortress. I'll have to fly it out here, maybe. I sure ain't gonna transfer it, the cost is over half a billion credits!

Last edited:
I’ve just reached Deadly and finally feel like I’ve got a bit of combat experience. Now I’ve just got to do it all again to reach Elite.

By combat experience I mean with npc opponents.....those PvP guys are way off my radar at the moment. :)
Ooh, congrats. It's a long haul. I'm still only Master at Combat, though I have my other 2 Elites. I gotta work on that someday :)

After making over a billion credits from Void Opal mining I switched over to my Asp Explorer for some materials gathering and started to hit some USS Degraded Emissions sites on my way to Jameson Memorial. I picked up quite a bit of stuff that will let me engineer the FSD on the Corvette I will soon buy.

Once I have finished gathering some mats I think I will head out to the Guardian sites to unlock the FSD booster. That will be very useful on the Corvette.

I'll have to fly it out here, maybe. I sure ain't gonna transfer it, the cost is over a billion credits!
Nah, if you hadn't gotten rid of the mining stuff, a billion equals one day in a good hotspot, provided that you can find a station willing to buy at a good price out there. You probably can't. Just checked. Jaques Station pays a reasonable 750 K CR for opals. That's more like two days. Still faster than flying the thing there yourself? :)

Nah, if you hadn't gotten rid of the mining stuff, a billion equals one day in a good hotspot, provided that you can find a station willing to buy at a good price out there. You probably can't. Just checked. Jaques Station pays a reasonable 750 K CR for opals. That's more like two days. Still faster than flying the thing there yourself? :)

Wow. I clearly need to improve my Hotspot finding skills. I once spent an entire day, from 7am when my wife left for work to 5.30pm when she returned, mining a VO hotspot and received 500 million selling at 1.6M per tonne.

I never did admit that I spent an entire working day mining in a gas giants ring system for fear her eyes would fall out from all the rolling :rolleyes: She doesn’t share my love of Elite Dangerous and would probably like me to do something a little more constructive with my time off.......yet buying and fitting an FdL is constructive. Right? :cool:

Ooh, congrats. It's a long haul. I'm still only Master at Combat, though I have my other 2 Elites. I gotta work on that someday :)

Thanks Codger. It is indeed a long haul, I can’t quite believe I’m still only halfway. Exploration was an almost literal cake walk compared to this, at least trading took some serious effort.

Thanks Codger. It is indeed a long haul, I can’t quite believe I’m still only halfway. Exploration was an almost literal cake walk compared to this, at least trading took some serious effort.

Yet strangely exploration is my lowest rank at Ranger, trading is part way through Tycoon and been combat Elite for some time now.

Funny old galaxy innit!

Wow. I clearly need to improve my Hotspot finding skills. I once spent an entire day, from 7am when my wife left for work to 5.30pm when she returned, mining a VO hotspot and received 500 million selling at 1.6M per tonne.

I never did admit that I spent an entire working day mining in a gas giants ring system for fear her eyes would fall out from all the rolling :rolleyes: She doesn’t share my love of Elite Dangerous and would probably like me to do something a little more constructive with my time off.......yet buying and fitting an FdL is constructive. Right? :cool:
I'm not an expert, but my mining skills are improving, according to my profit. A few things I've stumbled upon (some trivial):

The ring needs to be pristine. You can find those easily using EDDB. Under Bodies, select pristine in the System Reserve field. You won't have any doubt when you find a good spot. If it seems bad after a few minutes it is. Then drop it and go for another one. Bookmark the good ones you find.

Go for rings as far away from the star as possible. Fewer people want to travel 5-10,000 ls to get to a good spot. Also those can be dark, and dark is good, when it comes to pulse scanning. Again, find the ring at EDDB.

Don't bother going far away from home to mine. I've found excellent spots just around the corner from Jameson's Memorial. Staying close to home, but in a ring far from it's star, speed things up, and reduces the chance of pirate interdictions. Look at EEDB to find a selling point. You can find those a few jumps from places like Jameson as well.

Learn the one and only shape of the good asteroids. Don't go for the small shiny "nuggets", no matter high bright and juicy they look. Be skeptical. Likewise with the brightness. They have to be distinctively bright, in a certain manner, like a bright lamp through orange juice, in lack of a better term.

Don't worry about pirates. Just don't bring other cargo than a load of limpets. There will often be pirates scanning you when you arrive, but they leave with an insult, when they discover what your cargo holds. I bring hardpoints and a shield, and start with scavenging the soon dead pirate's materials. They are not hard to kill. Especially after all the aiming practice you get using the abrasion blaster. Once you're on the way to sell, don't go dancing with pirates. Just concentrate on finishing your mission.

Bring as large a shield as possible. It makes the ring much more entertaining. Like a mid sized shield gen and a load of shield boosters. I mine mostly in a Conda, and I use the ship to move the rocks to get my aim. The shield looses a few rings, but rebuilds before you find your next rock.

Scan like crazy and look back as well. You often pass good rocks because you don't see them. It feels like the RNG drops a few after you passed a given point.

Don't only concentrate on opals in an opal hotspot. Learn which cores are expensive. I repeated the "Grand-Void-Alex" until I knew it. Diamonds, meh. Hate Bromelite! This way you fill your cargo faster, and if that makes the trip too short, go again.

Yet strangely exploration is my lowest rank at Ranger, trading is part way through Tycoon and been combat Elite for some time now.

Funny old galaxy innit!

I tried to be very careful with my second account as I wanted exploration to be just that, my primary account hit the higher ranks with passenger missions before I really realised (or more honestly, was told) what an affect they have on your exploration rank. Even then I was surprised at the effect on my early ranks with just the new passive scan with the second account.

He’s now sitting on planet 2 of Beagle Point with a migraine after just completing his DW2 journey.....I don’t like to tell him I didn’t pack any Nurofen.

Last edited:
Don't only concentrate on opals in an opal hotspot. Learn which cores are expensive. I repeated the "Grand-Void-Alex" until I knew it. Diamonds, meh. Hate Bromelite! This way you fill your cargo faster, and if that makes the trip too short, go again.

I think this may be the key point for me. I've tended to focus on just the Opals and only mined the G & A when I got a bit bored :)

Top Bottom