Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I'd thought of installing an advanced docking computer on it and not the standard one I currently have in all my ships, but sounds like that's not a great idea from what you said...
I mean, the advanced docking computer does work sometimes; it's fine with planetary port landings and takeoffs, and it's fine with docking to mailslot stations. It will dock with rescue ships and fleet carriers, but it suffers overshoot and takes longer than going in manually. It really struggles with exiting mailslots, where it may bump the wall and take its own shield out, possibly destroy itself if left alone. This is mostly only a problem if it has to queue to leave; playing Solo in quiet stations it's ok, but Open or Mobius PvE at the CG station will likely leave you nose-to-paint.

You can however disable auto launch in the ship menu without affecting the docking features, which gets rid of the only actually dangerous problem. For rescue ships, you can approach the pad under your own control and just zero the throttle when you are comfortably close and slow. It manages at shorter distances when it isn't tempted to go full throttle.

Personally, I would fit the advanced computer and hope it gets fixed at some point. I've noticed there's another thread that seems to be gaining traction, and the lateral thrust issues on large ships is one of the main issues being talked about. With luck, FDev will have to acknowledge and fix it; or at least, tune the autopilot to understand that the thrusters are weaker than it currently thinks they are.

Two hours of exploring and I haven't found a single bio yet o_O

Type F, G and K stars are your best bet here. If you're already sticking to those then you're basically just unlucky 😹

Interesting Tweet from Elite Dangerous this morning.

Source: https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1600433712394653697

So this thing is apparently moving a lot faster than any of us thought. We're going to start losing control of systems on a weekly basis if I'm reading this correctly.

It'll be interesting to see which ones end up where. I know the AXI has been listing HIP 23716 as the priority for the last few days, I wonder if we'll save that one and lose others because commanders got hyperfocussed on it. I've kind of been spreading myself around, doing one run to each system, but it's anyone's guess which approach is better!

...or how much weight the non-combat tasks are given vs combat. You'd hope that they weren't too far apart, because FDev will want all commanders to feel equally useful.

So this thing is apparently moving a lot faster than any of us thought. We're going to start losing control of systems on a weekly basis if I'm reading this correctly.

Could you include the content of the tw@t please. Some of us don't like allowing Tw@tter past our script-blocker.

I mean, the advanced docking computer does work sometimes; it's fine with planetary port landings and takeoffs, and it's fine with docking to mailslot stations. It will dock with rescue ships and fleet carriers, but it suffers overshoot and takes longer than going in manually. It really struggles with exiting mailslots, where it may bump the wall and take its own shield out, possibly destroy itself if left alone. This is mostly only a problem if it has to queue to leave; playing Solo in quiet stations it's ok, but Open or Mobius PvE at the CG station will likely leave you nose-to-paint.

You can however disable auto launch in the ship menu without affecting the docking features, which gets rid of the only actually dangerous problem. For rescue ships, you can approach the pad under your own control and just zero the throttle when you are comfortably close and slow. It manages at shorter distances when it isn't tempted to go full throttle.

Personally, I would fit the advanced computer and hope it gets fixed at some point. I've noticed there's another thread that seems to be gaining traction, and the lateral thrust issues on large ships is one of the main issues being talked about. With luck, FDev will have to acknowledge and fix it; or at least, tune the autopilot to understand that the thrusters are weaker than it currently thinks they are.
Thanks a lot for all that info. (y)

It will be a while at least before I'm in a position to buy one, as I'm a long way from the bubble right now exobiologying and whatnot, but I have noted it all, cheers!

It seems that humanity is fighting an AI that Fdev developed to guide the strategy of the Thargoids. Right now it also seems that the AI is clever. It's probably not the first time it has been done, but personally I've never been part of fighting an AI like this before. If they allow it to (machine) learn, I will find the whole "experiment" extremely interesting. It's kind of like Matrix or Terminator, human against the machine :alien:🔫 Assuming this is correct, we're in for a treat. It opens a whole new can of worms, like can we even win, just this "minor" challenge, or how do we differ from AIs, considering we are made of atoms and bits like them? Nerdy perhaps, but some of us are here to observe the ones with too many hormones doing their thing. It might work. I doubt that, unless Fdev decides to become gods and interfere with current development in the galaxy. :unsure:

Maybe it wasn't that bad an idea, with that "Esc Pod Conda" after all. Well, I never saw Beagle Point.

It's all a bit gibberish to me at this point.

What is an "attack cycle", exactly, for example. Does the system fall at the end of just one attack cycle? Or is there a new cycle each week, and the system takes more than one cycle to fall? Or what? lol.

I guess we'll see.

It's all a bit gibberish to me at this point.

What is an "attack cycle", exactly, for example. Does the system fall at the end of just one attack cycle? Or is there a new cycle each week, and the system takes more than one cycle to fall? Or what? lol.

I guess we'll see.
Yep. This tick will tell us "a lot". It will tell us what to expect, sort of directionwise and timewise. Maybe a Maelstrom in orbit around Earth for Christmas? :alien:🎅:devilish:

As Darwin once wrote beside a tree he had drawn. "I think"

The way I read it is:

Each week they'll look at the progress bar on each system. If the defense of that system keeps the bar from maxing out, then that system doesn't fall into Thargoid control. If the opposite is true, then the system falls to Thargoid control and anybody in it had better haul .
Sounds logical.

I see a lot of complaints about bugged CZs and broken missions and bugged Thargoids and such, though. People are already getting annoyed and even losing interest. It doesn't bode well.

I'm pretty sure FDEV wants us to be on the back foot to start with -- that would make sense, story wise. At least until new weapons and defenses are available, from the various CGs and whatnot to come.

The danger is that the current spike of interest will wane before that happens.

Meanwhile I'm keeping my carrier stocked with fuel. :p

The way I read it is:

Each week they'll look at the progress bar on each system. If the defense of that system keeps the bar from maxing out, then that system doesn't fall into Thargoid control. If the opposite is true, then the system falls to Thargoid control and anybody in it had better haul .
Having Fdev directing stuff would be even more :eek: considering how much we have been nagging since Odd launched :ROFLMAO: Perfect revenge!

It seems that humanity is fighting an AI that Fdev developed to guide the strategy of the Thargoids. Right now it also seems that the AI is clever. It's probably not the first time it has been done, but personally I've never been part of fighting an AI like this before. If they allow it to (machine) learn, I will find the whole "experiment" extremely interesting. It's kind of like Matrix or Terminator, human against the machine :alien:🔫 Assuming this is correct, we're in for a treat. It opens a whole new can of worms, like can we even win, just this "minor" challenge, or how do we differ from AIs, considering we are made of atoms and bits like them? Nerdy perhaps, but some of us are here to observe the ones with too many hormones doing their thing. It might work. I doubt that, unless Fdev decides to become gods and interfere with current development in the galaxy. :unsure:

Maybe it wasn't that bad an idea, with that "Esc Pod Conda" after all. Well, I never saw Beagle Point.

I suspect there is some kind of AI at work here - but it is more scripted/coded and detailed/fine-grained than just unleashing a Machine Learning beast on the galaxy...

...that said, i recently started tinkering with Stability.AI's DreamStudio and, in response to the prompt "fierce looking Thargoid with eight tentacles and glowing eyes by HR Geiger", it came up with this dream / nightmare [depending on POV]

3557198249_fierce_looking__Thargoid__Ridley_Scott_s_Alien__with_eight_tentacles__by_HR_Geiger_...png

...really intrigued to see what Frontier might come up with next year if the "major feature overhaul for 2023" does involve 'goids-on-foot [or tentacles...] :alien:

Last edited:
Yeah, everything I need all in one place. I can disappear into the void and never return. I probably won't though. It'd be a tad boring :p
So far my personal strategy, being of somewhat alien descent myself, is to observe and gather information. When no new information is up, I will spend my time stealing Thargoid recon probe sensor whatever thingies, just because it's fun. U14 so far is just brilliant.

Top Bottom